By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Has Put Themselves Back In The Game!

MSFT don't have the balls to keep all these games on one console - if they did Minecraft would have been removed years ago. Their real goal is gamepass and the console is mearly a way of delivering this. If that console is an xbox or something else, MSFT will push that. So the games will come through to PS5 one way or another....they will probably negotiate with sony some form of agreement to allow the games on the console only if sony allows gamepass to come too.

Around the Network

All the acquisitions they've made is some damn expensive "hot air"

ShadowSoldier said:
I'm a PlayStation fan but this is a move you have to respect. Microsoft's console's problems started with the launch of Kinect. They lost sight of their identity. With this acquisition in addition to the previous ones, MS has a strong WRPG/Western gamer experience to fall back on. I always hated how they didn't get the chance to buy Bioware, but this more than makes up for it. Especially if they force Bethesda to change engines and focus on quality control.

Jesus they can drop New Vegas 2 whenever they want with the original talent. Microsoft can do to Star Wars what Sony did to Spider-Man. We might get a KOTOR 3.

Sadly, EA owns the rights to Star Wars games so probably not going to happen. And even if EA decides to make it, it won't be made by Obsidian for obvious reasons.

Jumpinbeans said:
MSFT don't have the balls to keep all these games on one console - if they did Minecraft would have been removed years ago. Their real goal is gamepass and the console is mearly a way of delivering this. If that console is an xbox or something else, MSFT will push that. So the games will come through to PS5 one way or another....they will probably negotiate with sony some form of agreement to allow the games on the console only if sony allows gamepass to come too.

They will release the games on more than one console. 

Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S 

Runa216 said:

No, they really haven't, because of the second bolded part. The games aren't out yet. Some people expected Crackdown to be great, some people expected Sea of thieves to be great, some people expected Days Gone to be great, some people expected No Man's Sky to be great. Until the games are out, all the promises in the world mean nothing at all. Until the games are actually out, it's all hear-say, hope, and goodwill. They have no goodwill from me because, as I've stated dozens of times in this thread and others, they have not done anything to impress me over the past 10 years or so. 

Them buying all these companies is great, sure. It sounds good on paper, but time and time again they prove they can't create or maintain things. Hell, Halo was made by Bungie and was in development before Microsoft bought them out, then as soon as Bungie was gone the quality dipped. Bungie makes great Halo games, not Microsoft. Gears was Epic Games, not a Microsoft studio. It was essentially third party, and parts 4 and 5 have not been all that well recieved compared to the first three. Rare is a company I don't have to repeat since they've only done one worthwhile game in the past 10 years and that game was trashed at launch and took years to not completely suck. Nothing tells me that ANY of these promises matter. 

You can't just say 'they're doing everything right' without any actual data and numbers to back it up. They've messed up thoroughly and consistently over the past 10 years, and until they prove me and many others wrong, all their promises are empty. Until they actually start releasing games, all they have is goodwill from folks like you. They're doing the opposite of crying wolf. They keep declaring all manner of success and intent and not delivering; eventually, people gotta see through the smokescreen to see there's just a block of dry ice and no substance. It's all smoke and mirrors, no substance. Until proven, it's all hot air.

These are the 1st party games released this year. It's a pretty good year overall with really Bleeding Edge being the only mediocre title. Am I saying they have the best 1st party games this year? No, I would not say that, but it's not anything less than really good, with some titles be excellent. Then looking into next year and beyond, it's only going to get better. I'm not sure how anyone can think otherwise. I understand that you want to see them deliver quality games consistently, but I don't see how they couldn't with the 23 studios they have now, most being top-tier developers. 

Around the Network
Jumpinbeans said:

Lol@ the Minecraft example. MS came out right away and announced the Minecraft IP would stay multiplatform. They have said no such thing about the Zenimax, and previous acquired studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian, playground,etc. are making games only for the Xbox platform/PC. They could struck a deal with Zenimax to make future games release day 1 on gamepass, and not spend nearly as much money, but they didn't.

Sony won't allow gamepass on ps5 because it would take away game sales on their platform and subscribers from PsNow.

kirby007 said:
all 4 games you mention turned out great what the fuck are you talking about

Really? Is this the hill you wanna die on? Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, and No Mans Sky were all garbage. Only Days Gone was kinda alright, and it took Sea of Thieves and No Man's Sky years to get anything better than terrible and devoid of content while Crackdown is still a joke. 

You can like those games all you want, but you are not making the point you think you are. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

smroadkill15 said:
Runa216 said:

No, they really haven't, because of the second bolded part. The games aren't out yet. Some people expected Crackdown to be great, some people expected Sea of thieves to be great, some people expected Days Gone to be great, some people expected No Man's Sky to be great. Until the games are out, all the promises in the world mean nothing at all. Until the games are actually out, it's all hear-say, hope, and goodwill. They have no goodwill from me because, as I've stated dozens of times in this thread and others, they have not done anything to impress me over the past 10 years or so. 

Them buying all these companies is great, sure. It sounds good on paper, but time and time again they prove they can't create or maintain things. Hell, Halo was made by Bungie and was in development before Microsoft bought them out, then as soon as Bungie was gone the quality dipped. Bungie makes great Halo games, not Microsoft. Gears was Epic Games, not a Microsoft studio. It was essentially third party, and parts 4 and 5 have not been all that well recieved compared to the first three. Rare is a company I don't have to repeat since they've only done one worthwhile game in the past 10 years and that game was trashed at launch and took years to not completely suck. Nothing tells me that ANY of these promises matter. 

You can't just say 'they're doing everything right' without any actual data and numbers to back it up. They've messed up thoroughly and consistently over the past 10 years, and until they prove me and many others wrong, all their promises are empty. Until they actually start releasing games, all they have is goodwill from folks like you. They're doing the opposite of crying wolf. They keep declaring all manner of success and intent and not delivering; eventually, people gotta see through the smokescreen to see there's just a block of dry ice and no substance. It's all smoke and mirrors, no substance. Until proven, it's all hot air.

These are the 1st party games released this year. It's a pretty good year overall with really Bleeding Edge being the only mediocre title. Am I saying they have the best 1st party games this year? No, I would not say that, but it's not anything less than really good, with some titles be excellent. Then looking into next year and beyond, it's only going to get better. I'm not sure how anyone can think otherwise. I understand that you want to see them deliver quality games consistently, but I don't see how they couldn't with the 23 studios they have now, most being top-tier developers. 

and all of those put together haven't had as much love, sales, critical reception, or public involvement than Animal Crossing, FFVII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, or The Last of Us Part 2. tiny little indie games that nobody heard of and a super super niche game like Flight Simulator is NOT rocking any boats or making any waves. I'm sure they're fine, but you can't even begin to pretend Gears Tactics and Grounded come anywhere close to the cultural impact, critical reception, or general impact of games that Nintendo and Sony are bringing us. 

This is not helping your case nearly as much as you think it is. This is like me saying Sony is doing great because Uncharted: Golden Abyss was a pretty great game. Good or not, it's a game nobody gave a shit about and nobody bought (Which is a shame because I did enjoy it and the vita is criminally underrated...but I wouldn't dare pretend it did better than it actually did).

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

When Love is a metric lolwut

I hope they become more competitive. Does that mean keeping their games out of PS5? Yes, why not? I think that as long as everything comes to PC, it's a fair game. It's not about making people buy another hardware to play the games, but to make people buy their hardware instead.

I love my PS4, but as a consumer, I'm happy with competition.