By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Mario 3D World on Switch worth it?

I already have Odyssey and 3D All-Stars on Switch. So that's four 3D Mario games. 3D World always just looked far less ambitious than all the other more open-level 3D Marios.

Is it worth getting when it comes out on Switch or is kinda like a side Mario game that isn't up to quality or scope of all the other 3D Mario games?

Also if you do love it, is it still great just doing one player? Or is it more of a multiplayer game? For example, I got NSMBU:D on Switch and found it just okay one player, but I had a blast the one time I played it two player. Is it more like that or is it a legit quality Mario game even playing alone?

Around the Network

Mario 3D World is different than an ordinary 3D Mario game like Odyssey or Sunshine. Think of it as a 2D Mario game, in a 3D environment. You start each level with the end being you reaching the flagpole. It's a very linear experience but it is a blast to play in single and multiplayer! The music is phenomenal and the platforming is a ton of fun to me personally. So it's a very casual game if you're looking for a good time with yourself or with friends.

I finished the Wii U version twice, and I really recommend it. It's not as creative as 64, Sunshine, or Galaxy, but it's very fun to play.

Yes, it is worth it for many reasons.. Bowser Fury is the most.

I'm considering buying it, because my little cousin told me she wants to play, she never beat it in her dad's Wii U

I never played it myself, I hope the expansion is worth it

Around the Network

It's my favorite 3D Mario game, and it's the odd man out of the 3D Mario games, so I'd recommend it.

Love and tolerate.

It's a great game. It's basically what would have happened if instead of going for a sandbox style like they did in Mario 64, they just translated the traditional Mario experience into 3D. But, they also included a lot of the variety and novelty that the Galaxy games had in their level design.

I hope they put out a demo for it so I can try it out first, otherwise I'll probably just be on the lookout for a sale at some point. I was pretty disappointed in NSMBU:D even though I normally love 2D Mario games. I guess that's what makes me wary of 3D World in that its more like a 2D Mario in 3D, and the last 2D Mario was pretty mediocre and the only game on Switch that I have that I felt wasn't worth the money.

I think it's pretty great, and definitely better than NSMBU which you've mentioned a few times here. It is of course more similar to the 2D entries than the other 3D games, but the level design, despite being more linear, feels like what you'd expect from 3D Mario in terms of its creativity and variety. It also feels wonderful to play and move around, and has two of my absolute favorite Mario powerups ever. (the cat suit is shockingly fun to use) It's definitely more fun in multiplayer due to the nature of it, and if you have the opportunity to play it that way, I do recommend it, the Switch version has online multiplayer. If not, it's still very good in single player as well, but I do think maybe slightly less so. Bowser's Fury looks like it may be a really cool single player addition though, based on what they teased of it.

3D World is a great game. If you like 2D Mario it is a real easy recommend.