By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware September 13 to 19 - Mario 3D All-Stars Boosts Switch Sales to Over 500,000

Darwinianevolution said:
A compilation of 3 old games made the Switch's numbers jump that much. The power of Mario, I guess.

It was a pretty moderate jump though. Nothing crazy. It was already selling at 400k, so jumping up to just over 500k for a big Mario collection is pretty modest.

Nintendo is no doubt at the point now that they are storing up stock for the holidays and basically deciding how much Switch will sell each week. They increased shipments modestly for this week but nothing crazy.

I wonder if we'll see a 2 million week this holiday for Switch.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
Darwinianevolution said:
A compilation of 3 old games made the Switch's numbers jump that much. The power of Mario, I guess.

It was a pretty moderate jump though. Nothing crazy. It was already selling at 400k, so jumping up to just over 500k for a big Mario collection is pretty modest.

Nintendo is no doubt at the point now that they are storing up stock for the holidays and basically deciding how much Switch will sell each week. They increased shipments modestly for this week but nothing crazy.

Quickly looking through VGChartz figures some of the best-selling single weeks for a platform are:

• DS - 2.10m on Dec 20, 2008
  • DS - 2.03m on Dec 22, 2007
  • Switch - 1.89m on Nov 30, 2019
  • DS - 1.83m on Dec 26, 2009
  • Wii - 1.82m on Dec 26, 2009
  • DS - 1.73m on Dec 15, 2007
  • DS - 1.77m on Dec 27, 2008
  • PS4 - 1.66m on Nov 25, 2017
  • PS4 - 1.64m on Nov 24, 2018
  • Wii - 1.59m on Dec 20, 2008
  • Switch - 1.55m on Dec 21, 2019
  • Wii - 1.46m on Dec 22, 2007
  • Switch - 1.40m on Mar 4, 2017 (Launch)
  • PS4 - 1.38m on Nov 30, 2019
  • Switch - 1.36m on Nov 24, 2018
  • 3DS - 1.35m on Dec 24, 2011
  • PS4 - 1.27m on Nov 26, 2016

There are some DS and Wii weeks missing, but just wanted to put their top weeks. 

As you can see only twice have we seen a system sell 2 million in a single week. However, the Switch did come close last year. I'd say the amount of stock will determine if we see a week over 2 million or not. 

Looking at what we know about PS5 and Xbox Series X|S pre-orders, they could very likely have a bigger launch than the Switch, with a chance of over 2 million first week.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

Nintendo Switch sales compared to the same week a year ago are down 79,652 units (-13.49%) 

And so it begins. Switch has reached the cliff and is now falling off of it.

#NintenDOOMED

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Slownenberg said:
Darwinianevolution said:

It's very possible with Animal Crossing, along with all the evergreens, in its arsenal.

There's also the prospect of Nintendo's next big game making it ontime for the holidays. Given their announcement pattern, I'd guess it's going to be announced after the Mario 3D World launch hype begins to dissipate.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Slownenberg said:

It's very possible with Animal Crossing, along with all the evergreens, in its arsenal.

There's also the prospect of Nintendo's next big game making it ontime for the holidays. Given their announcement pattern, I'd guess it's going to be announced after the Mario 3D World launch hype begins to dissipate.

What do you mean? Kirby Fighters 2 already released.

Around the Network

Mario Kart Live and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity are Nintendo's holiday games.

That's all they need with demand for the system already through the stratosphere.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Jumpin said:

Yeah, I was thinking about it. I was sure it would be Monster Hunter, but it ended as a March release. The last directs was focused only in Mario and 3rd party stuff, so I'm still expecting something for December

I don't think it's a high profile game though, maybe something more mid-tier. There are rumours about a 2D metroid, sounds ok of a December release

IcaroRibeiro said:
Jumpin said:

Yeah, I was thinking about it. I was sure it would be Monster Hunter, but it ended as a March release. The last directs was focused only in Mario and 3rd party stuff, so I'm still expecting something for December

I don't think it's a high profile game though, maybe something more mid-tier. There are rumours about a 2D metroid, sounds ok of a December release

You may be right, but I think they're going to market the heck out of Age of Calamity and treat that as their big December title.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Jumpin said:

You'd normally expect something more high profile to release towards the end of the year, but this isn't a normal year. Lots of stuff got delayed.

2 mil is a givin, if they SHIP ENOUGH.

that being said MH rise is going to plow Q4-Q1 sales blow out of the water next year, at least in japan