By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Stellar_Fungk said:
Immersiveunreality said:

You really seem to take this to heart, are you feeling you might not be able to play the franchises you like ?

I’m afraid that either Sony or Microsoft will buy Sega and/or Square Enix. I loved to play Dragon Quest XIS and Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4 on my Switch. Some of my fav games. I’ll be sad if/when that happens. :(

Hum actually. I was talking with a friend about future acquisitions (both from Sony or Microsoft) and I was not really convinced any other big publishers (other than the big Take Two, EA, Ubisoft and Activision-Blizzard) had anything that would interest me... Konami has Metal Gear and I really like the 5 and even the spinoff but that's basically it... Sega, meh...

But yah, I completely forgot Square-Enix for some reason... I was really unhappy about FF16 being a Play Station exclusive (esp. when they are finally going back to something medieval :)). But yah, that would be an amazing buy from Microsoft.

Or Sony (and they have been working closely, Sony even owned part of it at some point). But as primary Xbox user, I always prefer to play it on my main console :) (Even if I will buy a Play Station Five no matter what).

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Stellar_Fungk said:

I do not agree with you, my friend.

Uh, I give you permission? 

Thank you :)

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

yvanjean said:
Runa216 said:

the more I think about this the less I like it. I maintain my prior stance, but in addition I also hate that Microsoft owns The Elder Scrolls now. I just don't want an Xbox, not after the last 10+ years on that console ecosystem was a barren wasteland.

**Edit** Just to be clear, this is good for Microsoft. We've established this. The part that bugs me is that since Microsoft has so little that interests me (or evidently a huge portion of the gaming public), having this one set of games that DO look good...hurts even more. To me, this would be like if Final Fantasy or Dark Souls ended up going Xbox Exclusive. Like, I just don't want to have to buy a new console for one game series, even if it is one of the best game franchises of all time. as of right now, Elder Scrolls is literally the only must-have title on Xbox (Assuming they go exclusive). Doom and Wolfenstein are good, but I'm not too into FPS games and they already have Halo and Gears of War (Holy shit, Microsoft really does only have shooter games and Forza). I thought the recent doom was good and Wolfenstein was also quite good, but still not console sellers for me. 

I guess PC it is. I'd rather not have to buy a new computer for it, but eeeeeeh. Here's hoping at least Elder Scrolls VI comes out on PS5, will give me time to get a new PC before Elder Scrolls VII comes out. 

Haha you do know that exactly what us Xbox console owner had to put up with Sony as a market leader. Barren wasteland is simply your false opinion but non the less Sony is currently using their position as a market leader to secure Exclusive title and try to squash the competitor's consoles. They've already secure Final Fantasy 16, tried to get Starfield, and is apparently trying to lock down the next GTA title. 

Don't get me wrong, If Microsoft were ever to outgrow the competition it would also be very bad for the industry. 

As an Xbox owner, I already purchase another console to play exclusive on the Nintendo Switch, so it does suck when competitor lock-in games to their platform. But, I'm glad to see Sony being reeled in and will be forced to offer more to the customers to attract new business. 

You've already seen arrogant Sony and how they conduct business. At the start of PS4, They add the most powerful console at the cheapest price, they were really pushing indie games on their platform to complement their exclusives. But, like I said Arrogant Sony became the market leader, they stop promoting indie games, the entire focus switch to their own exclusives, they offered a somewhat underpowered console in PS4 Pro and drop 4k UHD blu-ray to save a buck. Sony really wants a closed ecosystem, forcing all customers on their platform only. Sony is leading the way on the $69.99 price hike on video games.

Would you quit with this 'baawww, get your own medicine' rhetoric? This is just how business works. Nintendo did it, Sony did it, Microsoft did it, they all did it and will continue to do it as long as there's imbalance in the market. that's Economics 101: In order to get customers, either do something really well or offer something nobody else does. Buying companies is a way to get things and ensure your brand has something that other companies do not. This isn't some personal vendetta, it's just companies doing what they can to make their brand the best. Honestly, ya look like a bit of a fool gloating like it's some big underdog win or that the opposition is EEEEEEVIL and deserves it. IT's just good business. I said it before and I'll say it again, if Sony did the exact same thing, I'd be cheering. Because I made my choice between the brands due to budgetary constraints, and if Sony wins, I win. If I can ever afford an XSX, then I'll stop caring. IT's literally a matter of friendly rivalry. Microsoft won a huge goal here. I don't like that because I'm not a Microsoft gal. Simple as that. don't try to frame it as revenge or something. Seriously, have some fun here and stop taking everything so personally. 

My issue is twofold. 1 - Microsoft has a history of flubbing purchases like this (Look at Rare and all the other companies they keep buying and paying to make games only to still somehow not have any exclusives all this time later.) 2 - One game series is not enough of a reason for me to get an Xbox, no matter how much I love it. 3 - I've gotta pick between PS5 and XSX this gen due to being a poor-assed bitch, so yer damn right I'm gonna boo when the opposition gets a goal.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

the more I think about this the less I like it. I maintain my prior stance, but in addition I also hate that Microsoft owns The Elder Scrolls now. I just don't want an Xbox, not after the last 10+ years on that console ecosystem was a barren wasteland.

**Edit** Just to be clear, this is good for Microsoft. We've established this. The part that bugs me is that since Microsoft has so little that interests me (or evidently a huge portion of the gaming public), having this one set of games that DO look good...hurts even more. To me, this would be like if Final Fantasy or Dark Souls ended up going Xbox Exclusive. Like, I just don't want to have to buy a new console for one game series, even if it is one of the best game franchises of all time. as of right now, Elder Scrolls is literally the only must-have title on Xbox (Assuming they go exclusive). Doom and Wolfenstein are good, but I'm not too into FPS games and they already have Halo and Gears of War (Holy shit, Microsoft really does only have shooter games and Forza). I thought the recent doom was good and Wolfenstein was also quite good, but still not console sellers for me. 

I guess PC it is. I'd rather not have to buy a new computer for it, but eeeeeeh. Here's hoping at least Elder Scrolls VI comes out on PS5, will give me time to get a new PC before Elder Scrolls VII comes out. 

Well, I am not sure why being a "barren wasteland" for 10 years would be a reason not to get a new Xbox, knowing where they are now and how they are gearing up for the next-gen :) (I can understand if it is money constrained or something like that tho)

But if you do not want to, the games are all going to be available on PC. So there is really no need for anyone who wants to play future games to get into the Xbox ecosystem. And Microsoft studios are publishing games on Steam too so you do not even need to use a Microsoft account!

Runa216 said:
yvanjean said:

Haha you do know that exactly what us Xbox console owner had to put up with Sony as a market leader. Barren wasteland is simply your false opinion but non the less Sony is currently using their position as a market leader to secure Exclusive title and try to squash the competitor's consoles. They've already secure Final Fantasy 16, tried to get Starfield, and is apparently trying to lock down the next GTA title. 

Don't get me wrong, If Microsoft were ever to outgrow the competition it would also be very bad for the industry. 

As an Xbox owner, I already purchase another console to play exclusive on the Nintendo Switch, so it does suck when competitor lock-in games to their platform. But, I'm glad to see Sony being reeled in and will be forced to offer more to the customers to attract new business. 

You've already seen arrogant Sony and how they conduct business. At the start of PS4, They add the most powerful console at the cheapest price, they were really pushing indie games on their platform to complement their exclusives. But, like I said Arrogant Sony became the market leader, they stop promoting indie games, the entire focus switch to their own exclusives, they offered a somewhat underpowered console in PS4 Pro and drop 4k UHD blu-ray to save a buck. Sony really wants a closed ecosystem, forcing all customers on their platform only. Sony is leading the way on the $69.99 price hike on video games.

Would you quit with this 'baawww, get your own medicine' rhetoric? This is just how business works. Nintendo did it, Sony did it, Microsoft did it, they all did it and will continue to do it as long as there's imbalance in the market. that's Economics 101: In order to get customers, either do something really well or offer something nobody else does. Buying companies is a way to get things and ensure your brand has something that other companies do not. This isn't some personal vendetta, it's just companies doing what they can to make their brand the best. Honestly, ya look like a bit of a fool gloating like it's some big underdog win or that the opposition is EEEEEEVIL and deserves it. IT's just good business. I said it before and I'll say it again, if Sony did the exact same thing, I'd be cheering. Because I made my choice between the brands due to budgetary constraints, and if Sony wins, I win. If I can ever afford an XSX, then I'll stop caring. IT's literally a matter of friendly rivalry. Microsoft won a huge goal here. I don't like that because I'm not a Microsoft gal. Simple as that. don't try to frame it as revenge or something. Seriously, have some fun here and stop taking everything so personally. 

My issue is twofold. 1 - Microsoft has a history of flubbing purchases like this (Look at Rare and all the other companies they keep buying and paying to make games only to still somehow not have any exclusives all this time later.) 2 - One game series is not enough of a reason for me to get an Xbox, no matter how much I love it. 3 - I've gotta pick between PS5 and XSX this gen due to being a poor-assed bitch, so yer damn right I'm gonna boo when the opposition gets a goal.

1st - You are posting all of this on Microsoft thread. 
2nd - I'm not saying its underdog win, the opposition is evil or any of that; This was entirely brought on as a response to Sony's current practice as a market leader. 
3rd - Your argument about being poor and can’t afford an XSX is not valid because Microsoft isn’t forcing you to get an XSX or XSS that’s Sony approach. If I want to play Sony’s exclusive I need to get their consoles, buy their games, and if I want to play online subscribe to PSNOW. If you want to play Xbox exclusive you only need to pay $15 Gamepass Ultimate, play it on a device you already own and then you can opt-out of the service.  $500 paywall vs $15 paywall. There is also the entire Microsoft supporting the last generation for 1-2 years that was bashed by Sony and their community, just to have it turn out that Sony is doing the exact same thing just not being open about what they were actually planning to promote a faster conversion to their new console.  

Last edited by yvanjean - on 23 September 2020

Around the Network
yvanjean said:

3rd - Your argument about being poor and can’t afford an XSX is not valid because Microsoft isn’t forcing you to get an XSX or XSS that’s Sony approach. If I want to play Sony’s exclusive I need to get their consoles, buy their games, and if I want to play online subscribe to PSNOW. If you want to play Xbox exclusive you only need to pay $15 Gamepass Ultimate, play it on a device you already own and then you can opt-out of the service.  $500 paywall vs $15 paywall. 

I do not think this is accurate :)

You need a PC good enough to be able to play those games and enjoy them. While XCloud is a nice option, it is certainly not the best way to play games if you want a good experience. I think the paywall is there too for Microsoft, just that you have other options than just buying an Xbox (like going for a PC good enough)...

Imaginedvl said:
yvanjean said:

3rd - Your argument about being poor and can’t afford an XSX is not valid because Microsoft isn’t forcing you to get an XSX or XSS that’s Sony approach. If I want to play Sony’s exclusive I need to get their consoles, buy their games, and if I want to play online subscribe to PSNOW. If you want to play Xbox exclusive you only need to pay $15 Gamepass Ultimate, play it on a device you already own and then you can opt-out of the service.  $500 paywall vs $15 paywall. 

I do not think this is accurate :)

You need a PC good enough to be able to play those games and enjoy them. While XCloud is a nice option, it is certainly not the best way to play games if you want a good experience. I think the paywall is there too for Microsoft, just that you have other options than just buying an Xbox (like going for a PC good enough)...

I don't own a gaming PC; so I fully agree but it would be nice to test out the exclusive for $15 before I decide to drop another $500 on a console. I guess the $500 paywall is only at the start of the generation. I can always wait like I did for my PS4 and only wind up costing me like $350 for PS4 and 3-4 exclusives. Well, I also never got to experience the premium version of Sony's exclusive since I did not go for the PS4 Pro.  

AkimboCurly said:

But to push back a bit on your point... Game pass as a model has a much higher capacity to bring in cash than selling consoles. 

Is it? I don't think so. Every console manufacter gets cuts from licensing, other fees, etc. Especially nowadays, when over 70% of games sales is digital. Even MS spokeperson said they aint making big bucks from GP for now. Yearly sub cost is less than two new games.

Look, Sony in Q1 2020 has shipped barely 2M or even less iirc, but they make record numbers in Games/Network Services. The games 'sales ( 18M exclusive games sold, 91M overall) and plus subs( almost 45M) were the topdogs. This is where the money come from.

I dont see anything profitable in this model, it is meant to disrupt the market, win some PR and stuff. 

Well when Phil said that their goal is to release 4 to 5 AAA games per year next gen, it seems quite possible now.
https://www.vgchartz.com/article/441501/phil-spencer-our-goal-is-to-release-4-or-5-aaa-games-every-year-on-xbox/

Runa216 said:
yvanjean said:

You gotta admit this is unprecedented. This isn’t buying a dev here and there. This is buying a publisher for an amount that is unheard of not just in gaming but all entertainment (Disney and Star Wars was 4 billion +. It’s good business but it’s also hyper aggressive. 

Worst case you can download Xcloud and play on your phone if money is a issue. We all know Xbox games are by far more accessible. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.