By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
goopy20 said:
kirby007 said:
not selling out on Series S and then concluding the mass market has no interest is a pretty big assumption >.>

I know. Its interesting to see if $299 would persuade folks to buy a console, who would not have bought one if its $499 or $399. We'll see how that goes

You expect for preorders the Series X to sell out because its the big gun and preorders are majority hardcore gamers and people already invested with the system.  Mass market cheap version are for people who purchase during Holidays, birthdays and so fort and for those people who did not consider thinking about an Xbox but now thinking they can get one on the cheap and play some of its games.  The main problem with your thinking is that its to limited by something as small as preorders to form an opinion when this is something that will be playing out for years.  Depending on how MS grow out gamepass and their library will effectively set how the series S and X sell.  Anyway you seem to make a lot of big assumptions with little data this early in the next gen.

Around the Network

I honestly see this being a good thing for the quality of Bethesda titles in the long run. Now they can focus on making the games they want without the pressure of at least breaking even. They can take bigger risks now and not have to make games like Fallout 76 and ESO to recoup cost. The can work with other MS studios like Obsidian and Inxile to help grow the Fallout and ES franchises.

I just hope this doesn’t cause a mass acquisition war for any sides. I think both have a great lineup of studios and it’s good to have some good third parties. If we see something like Sega, Square, etc we’ll go back to old times where you’re almost forced to buy more than one console to play what you want. I don’t think we’ve reached that yet, but one or two more acquisitions (from any side) may cause that.

Runa216 said:

the more I think about this the less I like it. I maintain my prior stance, but in addition I also hate that Microsoft owns The Elder Scrolls now. I just don't want an Xbox, not after the last 10+ years on that console ecosystem was a barren wasteland.

**Edit** Just to be clear, this is good for Microsoft. We've established this. The part that bugs me is that since Microsoft has so little that interests me (or evidently a huge portion of the gaming public), having this one set of games that DO look good...hurts even more. To me, this would be like if Final Fantasy or Dark Souls ended up going Xbox Exclusive. Like, I just don't want to have to buy a new console for one game series, even if it is one of the best game franchises of all time. as of right now, Elder Scrolls is literally the only must-have title on Xbox (Assuming they go exclusive). Doom and Wolfenstein are good, but I'm not too into FPS games and they already have Halo and Gears of War (Holy shit, Microsoft really does only have shooter games and Forza). I thought the recent doom was good and Wolfenstein was also quite good, but still not console sellers for me. 

I guess PC it is. I'd rather not have to buy a new computer for it, but eeeeeeh. Here's hoping at least Elder Scrolls VI comes out on PS5, will give me time to get a new PC before Elder Scrolls VII comes out. 

Haha you do know that exactly what us Xbox console owner had to put up with Sony as a market leader. Barren wasteland is simply your false opinion but non the less Sony is currently using their position as a market leader to secure Exclusive title and try to squash the competitor's consoles. They've already secure Final Fantasy 16, tried to get Starfield, and is apparently trying to lock down the next GTA title. 

Don't get me wrong, If Microsoft were ever to outgrow the competition it would also be very bad for the industry. 

As an Xbox owner, I already purchase another console to play exclusive on the Nintendo Switch, so it does suck when competitor lock-in games to their platform. But, I'm glad to see Sony being reeled in and will be forced to offer more to the customers to attract new business. 

You've already seen arrogant Sony and how they conduct business. At the start of PS4, They add the most powerful console at the cheapest price, they were really pushing indie games on their platform to complement their exclusives. But, like I said Arrogant Sony became the market leader, they stop promoting indie games, the entire focus switch to their own exclusives, they offered a somewhat underpowered console in PS4 Pro and drop 4k UHD blu-ray to save a buck. Sony really wants a closed ecosystem, forcing all customers on their platform only. Sony is leading the way on the $69.99 price hike on video games.

zealen said:
I just hope this doesn’t cause a mass acquisition war for any sides. I think both have a great lineup of studios and it’s good to have some good third parties. If we see something like Sega, Square, etc we’ll go back to old times where you’re almost forced to buy more than one console to play what you want. I don’t think we’ve reached that yet, but one or two more acquisitions (from any side) may cause that.

This. 

Well, I will stop worrying (won’t do anything good) and go back to playing some games. May God show us the right path.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Around the Network
Stellar_Fungk said:
Immersiveunreality said:

You really seem to take this to heart, are you feeling you might not be able to play the franchises you like ?

I’m afraid that either Sony or Microsoft will buy Sega and/or Square Enix. I loved to play Dragon Quest XIS and Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4 on my Switch. Some of my fav games. I’ll be sad if/when that happens. :(

It's sad you sound like a single child and the parents are fighting, getting a divorce, and are splitting up assets. It's sad but the truth in the end Nintendo gets hurt. 

hunter_alien said:
yvanjean said:

Even more reason Microsoft had to acquire Bethesda, I hope Microsoft at the very least slap a time exclusive on all future Zenimax games.  

So MS went even further so that is good for the market because? My god, the double standard and hypocrisy that you talk about is so high, that it's getting radioactive :))))

Sony is a single platform vs Microsoft multiplatform which includes consoles, PC and Smart-phone (Xcloud). If the titles were to go exclusives, there would be plenty of ways a Sony consoles owners get to play the game for cheap without having to really commit to the Xbox ecosystem. 

Sony is currently the market leader and this is a nice re-adjustment to the console landscape. If Microsoft were to drop another 10 Billion on acquisitions then we would have a new serious problem for the industry. Corporations' only goal is to make as much profit for their shareholders, so we really need to keep a balance in order to have a healthy industry. 

HollyGamer said:
goopy20 said:

Of course they didn't. Just look at Mojang. MS spend billions on it and did it make any difference? Minecraft and MC Dungeons still went multiplat and it didn't do anything for Xone sales. MS doesn't care about our console wars, they want to make money. And they're not doing that by excluding the far biggest console platform. 

7.5B man, I wonder how many GP subscribers it takes to break even on an investment like that? Just to put things in perspective. Sony just had the 2nd best selling console in gaming history, outselling Xbox almost 3/1. Now in 2018 the ps5 made 17B in total revenue but "only" 1,7B in net revenue. Even with the success of the ps4, it would have taken almost an entire console generation for Sony to break even if they bought Zenimax... Its pretty obvious MS didn't make an investment like that just to lock it behind Series X

yup 7.5 billion only for consoles exclusivity is just pure fantasy and fanboy dream. 

If they remain multiply why did MS make the deal at all? If Elder Scrolls 6 comes out on Xbox and PS....that doesn’t cost a penny. Why spend 7.5 billion to get the same result as spending nothing? Worst case is timed exclusivity. Best case is console/PC/Game Pass, and Xcloud via Phone/tablet/laptop. It’s not just console exclusivity, the ecosystem is much bigger then that. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Some people here are in for a harsh awakening. Man, I think I'm enjoying this way too much. Maybe I should take a break.

Stellar_Fungk said:
Runa216 said:

the more I think about this the less I like it. I maintain my prior stance, but in addition I also hate that Microsoft owns The Elder Scrolls now. I just don't want an Xbox, not after the last 10+ years on that console ecosystem was a barren wasteland.

**Edit** Just to be clear, this is good for Microsoft. We've established this. The part that bugs me is that since Microsoft has so little that interests me (or evidently a huge portion of the gaming public), having this one set of games that DO look good...hurts even more. To me, this would be like if Final Fantasy or Dark Souls ended up going Xbox Exclusive. Like, I just don't want to have to buy a new console for one game series, even if it is one of the best game franchises of all time. as of right now, Elder Scrolls is literally the only must-have title on Xbox (Assuming they go exclusive). Doom and Wolfenstein are good, but I'm not too into FPS games and they already have Halo and Gears of War (Holy shit, Microsoft really does only have shooter games and Forza). I thought the recent doom was good and Wolfenstein was also quite good, but still not console sellers for me. 

I guess PC it is. I'd rather not have to buy a new computer for it, but eeeeeeh. Here's hoping at least Elder Scrolls VI comes out on PS5, will give me time to get a new PC before Elder Scrolls VII comes out. 

I do not agree with you, my friend.

Uh, I give you permission? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android