By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Intrinsic said:
Chazore said:

They've already tried this before with their own games and that hasn't worked.

I just don't see them trying once more to pull another fuck over move and force everyone to use their already crappy storefront on PC. Like you can force your Xbox gamers to do whatever tune you jam out with, but PC for the longest time has done it's own thing whenever it wants to. 

I'm a fan of ES and Fallout and yeah, I'd stop buying, because I'm not going to just "give in" like some spineless normie. If they stop selling those games on Steam/GoG, I'll just buy from someone else instead, it's that simple. 

Consoles take 30% as well as other storefronts. Also, MS isn't likely to give up Steam for a chance at trying to force people to using a storefront that not many like using in the first place. 

I don't see it happening, I'm sorry. Much as you want to harp on about the 30% (known only after Timmy boy harped on about it, thus random folk are now doing the same), Steam is still going to be around and is still going to see big games sold on it. 

Indulge me...

If the game is available steam. For $60. And the same game is available on gamepas, same day and date, and you can download it, "just as you could with steam" and play it. What would you do?

Play for $60? or play for $10?

60 bucks. Easily. The idea of not 'owning' the game upsets me greatly, and I HATE the idea that the game could disappear at any time or that I have a time limit. I buy physical and avoid playing any 'games as a service' because I like playing on my own time, not when others dictate. 

I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne...and would do anything to CoOp with my friends, but even that's stressful to me.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Industry stuff aside, I have to admit it's pretty funny seeing Sony finally get bitch slapped hard by the same type of tactic they always use. You want to huff and puff about exclusivity, welp there ya go. 

Did you not exist during the 7th Generation? where were you when Microsoft was doing the same thing? This is...this is how business works. do you need to go to an ECON101 class? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

sales2099 said:
sundin13 said:
Warning: Salty post!

So, does this benefit consumers in any way?

Bethesda is big enough that they shouldn't really ever be struggling to put out their games, so assuming this actually means console exclusivity (which, MS says it will be on a case-by-case basis, which means nothing), it feels to me like MS just dumped a bunch of money to make the market a worse place for basically everyone. It may very well be a good business decision, but it feels pretty shitty to watch Microsoft seemingly just dump a bunch of money to make every other console worse instead of dumping money to make Xbox better.

If they don't shift towards exclusivity, my complaints will be unfounded, but I have strong reservations about whether this is a good thing for the industry.

Bold: It benefits Xbox and their consumers. And it’s healthy competition. Best gen was when 360 and PS3 were almost even. Each had success and the industry was big enough for both. Now it’s one sided and therefore not ideal for anyone not fully invested in PlayStation. This evens the field to a degree, which does benefit the industry on the whole. 

You will be dragged kicking and screaming to the Xbox brand, but I guarantee you once you settle in you will find we take care of our own. You will play more games and spend less money doing so, with plenty consumer friendly options. 

How does it benefit Xbox consumers? These games already would have been on Xbox. I can fathom a few fairly minor benefits to Xbox customers like as others have mentioned, the potential of these games being on Game Pass sooner, but overall, the primary effect of this acquisition is that Xbox customers get the same thing they've always gotten and Playstation/Nintendo customers get something worse. I am all for competition, but not like this. I would wholeheartedly support MS dumping cash into developing a new studio or pouring money into new talent but this seems like subtractive spending, not additive spending. 

Again, this is under the assumption that Xbox will shift these games towards exclusivity which we don't know yet, but it seems strange to spend this much money on a brand and then not utilize it to produce exclusives...

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Will read the defenses that Zenimax needed the money and that it is a good move unless it was made by Sony.

OP itself, I don`t play Bethesda games so even if all their games become first party I won`t miss a thing. Hope under MS they stop launching so much bug ridden games. And for the money paid I would say this is a much better purchase than Minecraft.

Does Sony have a reputation for lacking exclusive AAA games? If they did it it would be just widening the gap and is anti competition. Xbox is the one that has the stigma and needs the games boost. This more then evens the playing field. This is what happens when you keep poking the bear that happens to have more money then God ;)

Good thing is that they are very hands off with their buys. They provide money and security and let their teams do what they want. Games will probably take longer if MS isn’t imposing strict deadlines but at least the games will be creative as the devs intended. 

I know these games don’t fall under “single player 3rd person story driven action adventure” that you are spoiled with but hey, they at least AAA single player games. That’s something right? 

MS fanbase mocked PS3 and PS4 for several years on their release for "no games". Sony answered by releasing games from their internal studio. But well you think MS despise trying to pass the good guy image is on the forums and got heated by console war so decided to buy Zenimax (as you and other also said was the reason for X1X and Series X) ok.

Not really, I said in a different post but from the know titles that were mentioned on the image I only played Evil Within, so if all Zenimax games became exclusive and Deathloop (their game that got me interested) became exclusives to Xbox I wouldn`t really feel like missing anything. It more of a seeing the people posting here celebrating while they were all cautionary that Sony buying Capcom would make MS react and buy EA+Activision and stuff like that. But what we have seem was MS buy like 15 studios (while opening 1 or 2) and Sony buying 1 studio that was already mostly making games only for Sony.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Barkley said:

Massive, however I expect we'll still see games like Elderscrolls 6 releasing on other platforms like PlayStation.

Imo Xbox Series + PC + Gamepass should be enough. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Holy shit boys, this is freaking amazing. I never even dreamed of MS going after Bethesda.

Runa216 said:

I have a VERY bad history with PC gaming. I'd rather just spend the 700+ on an Xbox I use to play 3 games than struggle with all the subtleties and nonsense that comes with trying to make a gaming PC work for me. I don't mind it for Roms and old games but anything new I just avoid. I know it's a good platform, but returning to that restaurant allegory, Sushi is good but I still hate it. 

Fair enough.. PC gaming isn't for everyone. It can be a headache even for a lot of tech minded people, when problems occur.

And you don't like sushi? What kinda mad person doesn't like sushi :o

The only thing I regret is that this wasn't leaked as a rumor a week before. It would have been glorious to read all the threads that such a "rumor" would have generated.

Question: does it make sense to block games from getting to sony's platform?

In an emotional console war, sure it does. But in the name of profit? no. They want players considering buying a playstation to know that Doom, or The Elder Scrolls, or FIFA, or Madden, are $70 there. But that their console comes with two years of free access to those games, plus hundreds of others. That is quite compelling.

Failing to convince players to get an xbox and sign up, their next hope is to get you, the guy who was gonna buy on steam, or playstation, to get your Fallout at a fraction of the cost, through game streaming or game pass for PC. Can they get millions of laptops, smartphones, etc, buying an xbox controller and paying for gamepass? They want their games to be big, youtube successes like Animal Crossing was for Nintendo, and they want to profit by always positioning themselves as the best and cheapest way to play the game.

I really don't know what to think yet about this. I am still going to build a new gaming PC sometime next year or when my current PC hits road blocks, then get a PS5 once enough exclusives release for that. But as long as Microsoft keeps game prices low and I can get their exclusives on PC I'll be okay with this. If I have to buy an Xbox though, I won't be. I was enjoying the status-quo of most big releases being multiplatform Xbox, Playstation, PC, and sometimes Nintendo. It felt fair and even.

I wonder if this would force Sony to release some (or most of) its exclusives on PC to compete as a potential ecosystem. That'd be great.

So yeah, what I think about this depends on the consequences.