Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox acquires Bethesda

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Warning: Salty post!

So, does this benefit consumers in any way?

Bethesda is big enough that they shouldn't really ever be struggling to put out their games, so assuming this actually means console exclusivity (which, MS says it will be on a case-by-case basis, which means nothing), it feels to me like MS just dumped a bunch of money to make the market a worse place for basically everyone. It may very well be a good business decision, but it feels pretty shitty to watch Microsoft seemingly just dump a bunch of money to make every other console worse instead of dumping money to make Xbox better.

If they don't shift towards exclusivity, my complaints will be unfounded, but I have strong reservations about whether this is a good thing for the industry.

As a consumer myself, I think I'm allowed to answer: Yes, it does benefit me. 

If this means they're gonna heavily invest in gaming now then the money difference alone could maybe make them beat the PS5 or at least make things similar to gen 7. Microsoft is a far bigger company than Sony so if they actually put some serious effort into this they'll likely have the advantage long term.

Metallox said:
hinch said:
So when can we expect a Halo X Doom game?

They real question is: do we have better chances for Doomguy to appear in Smash? 

I never warmed up to this idea of Doomguy (the "name" alone) in Smash, because he is no icon. The games are first person, you don't see him. But I am all in for Cacodemon in Smash! That right there is a gaming icon!

Last edited by Mnementh - on 21 September 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Captain_Yuri said:

My profile pic makes more sense now ;)

Around the Network

I really think this is all simple. And no, I amnot over reacting.

I have been saying it for a while, that the most important thing MS needs to do,is get games. Xbox, Gamepass, Xcloud...anything that they want to doing gaming begins and ends with them having a strong number of exclusives. They annot win based on simply being that other platform that is like Playstation, theyhave tried that 3 timesand it has failed.

This acquisition does just that. It secures them a respectable list of IPs.Now even if the IPs arecoming to other platforms, one ting for certain is that they will also be n Gamepass. And stuff like that gives gamepass the kinda legs it needs to grow. How does sony justify you spending $70 on a game on their platform he you get that same game for "free" pending a $10 monthly subscription? There is no answer for that.

The only option left to sony is to continue to bolster its own first party output. Buy a couple more studios...etc. But thats notenough, because if MS has done this and this still doesn't swing things in their favor, it has at least shown what direction they ar going to go next, they would just buy up another publisher. And they will keep doing that till it makes a difference.

The long game here isn't to give gamers a choice,its to take that choice away.

What happens when MS has acquired thenext major publishers,those that are stillnot releasing games on gamepass would notice that their games just aren't really selling on other platforms. So the only option they wold have is to join the fold. Before you know it, gaming as we know it would b under the MS banner. This is not some sort of conspiracy theory, its the endgame of any service that workslike gamepas. You either have consolidation, or division.

Intrinsic said:

I have been saying it for a while, that the most important thing MS needs to do,is get games. Xbox, Gamepass, Xcloud...anything that they want to doing gaming begins and ends with them having a strong number of exclusives. They annot win based on simply being that other platform that is like Playstation, theyhave tried that 3 timesand it has failed.

This acquisition does just that. It secures them a respectable list of IPs.Now even if the IPs arecoming to other platforms, one ting for certain is that they will also be n Gamepass. And stuff like that gives gamepass the kinda legs it needs to grow. How does sony justify you spending $70 on a game on their platform he you get that same game for "free" pending a $10 monthly subscription? There is no answer for that.

The only option left to sony is to continue to bolster its own first party output. Buy a couple more studios...etc. But thats notenough, because if MS has done this and this still doesn't swing things in their favor, it has at least shown what direction they ar going to go next, they would just buy up another publisher. And they will keep doing that till it makes a difference.

What happens when MS has acquired thenext major publishers,those that are stillnot releasing games on gamepass would notice that their games just aren't really selling on other platforms. So the only option they wold have is to join the fold. Before you know it, gaming as we know it would b under the MS banner. This is not some sort of conspiracy theory, its the endgame of any service that workslike gamepas. You either have consolidation, or division.

As a Switch owner, I am very scared.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Manlytears said:

I don't think Elder Scroll, Fallout and Doom will show up on Steam ...
These games are gigantic, will buying at the windows store displease some? yes, but do you really think fans will stop buying? absolutely not ... these games are very big and have very dedicated fans who will buy them anywhere.
Another point, Steam takes about 30% of the game's value, I don't think Microsoft needs to give up that money to promote "better sales" of such big games ... as a bonus they promoted the windows store, probably making it a little more popular.

In short, many will complain about Elderscroll and others being exclusive to the windows store on the PC, but in the end they will buy anyway, simply because they have no choice, end.

They've already tried this before with their own games and that hasn't worked.

I just don't see them trying once more to pull another fuck over move and force everyone to use their already crappy storefront on PC. Like you can force your Xbox gamers to do whatever tune you jam out with, but PC for the longest time has done it's own thing whenever it wants to. 

I'm a fan of ES and Fallout and yeah, I'd stop buying, because I'm not going to just "give in" like some spineless normie. If they stop selling those games on Steam/GoG, I'll just buy from someone else instead, it's that simple. 

Consoles take 30% as well as other storefronts. Also, MS isn't likely to give up Steam for a chance at trying to force people to using a storefront that not many like using in the first place. 

I don't see it happening, I'm sorry. Much as you want to harp on about the 30% (known only after Timmy boy harped on about it, thus random folk are now doing the same), Steam is still going to be around and is still going to see big games sold on it. 

konnichiwa said:
Captain_Yuri said:
This is what MS meant by the power of cloud. They get so much money from their Azure cloud services that they can afford to buy companies for billions of dollars.

As a side note (and a bit weird MS is rather quiet about it) if you want to see the power of the cloud try Flying simulator.

If you're one of the lucky ones (like me) for who it generally works. Just check the Steam and MS flight forums, still full of people unable to download the game, or the installer inisting to re-download the game or simply getting stuck. Tons of streaming issues since the last patch, downgrades reported, connection issues. Live weather is still very wonky, mostly the wind doesn't work or it only works the first flight. Live traffic has tons of issues, ATC Azure voices make the game crash for many people. People are already walking away and going back to x-plane and p3d.

It works mostly for me, down to a couple restarts per day. Streaming is hit and miss just like the data coverage. Lots of pop in, stutters and variable framerate, not always tied to the complexity of the scenery. 

If you want to see the unreliability of the cloud, try flight simulator :/

It is absolutely beautiful when it does work and you're in a well supported area.

Intrinsic said:

You made sense until you said that. This will make things even overall. Mainland Europe and Asia will always be PlayStation land. Doesn’t matter what Xbox does, you can have a hollowed out PS5 console with newspapers inside. It doesn’t play games. It’s just a empty casing that only looks like the PS5....and it will still sell more then Xbox lol. That’s how powerful the brand is. 

So here’s the question, where you wanna live on the planet? North and South America will be Xbox land. UK, Australia, Russia. If you want to have that warm and fuzzy feeling of living in a country dominated by PlayStation, maybe think about moving to the appropriate country, get that dual citizenship application going ;)

But seriously, you may think this will lead to Xbox taking it all but that’s not gonna happen. Globally speaking, it will lead to a balance

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.