By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Warning: Salty post!

So, does this benefit consumers in any way?

Bethesda is big enough that they shouldn't really ever be struggling to put out their games, so assuming this actually means console exclusivity (which, MS says it will be on a case-by-case basis, which means nothing), it feels to me like MS just dumped a bunch of money to make the market a worse place for basically everyone. It may very well be a good business decision, but it feels pretty shitty to watch Microsoft seemingly just dump a bunch of money to make every other console worse instead of dumping money to make Xbox better.

If they don't shift towards exclusivity, my complaints will be unfounded, but I have strong reservations about whether this is a good thing for the industry.

Around the Network

I dislike this sort of thing. While it is much preferable for Microsoft to acquire stuff than Sony or Nintendo since in the first case the games will still come to PC it's still a shame that the number of people able to experience Bethesda's games could decrease by a lot if Microsoft does make them Xbox and PC only and this will likely make Sony acquire something in retaliation which could make Microsoft acquire something else and so on and so forth making these walled gardens even bigger and more closed off and that would be a very bad thing. Also a massive corporation buying up a much smaller but still big company is just inherently unpleasant.

Last edited by Norion - on 21 September 2020

yvanjean said:
The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein, and Dishonored, among others are all coming to GamePass now. All of these titles are about to get backward compatibility enhanced on Xbox Series X & S. Better load times, frame rate, input lag, and other performances. You keep earing that people don't play old games but the biggest exclusive release on PS5 is Demon Soul's remake.

Sony: Demon Soul's remake on PS5 for $69.99.
Microsoft: Enhance backward compatible Skyrim for free for anyone owning a disc/digital copy or Free if you own Gamepass.

No, you were hearing that people don't use backwards compatibility to play old games. There was even a study that proved that usage of the feature was very limited. 

That is a remake of a PS3 game from the ground up. The very, very obvious difference has been pointed out to you numerous times already.

okr said:
Today Microsoft won us all as customers.

Not me. I understand it’s the biggest step in Microsoft’s gaming history but still doesn’t appeal to me. I see a great value on gamepass but still never played fallouts or elder scrolls and still don’t intend to. 

"Well... I never liked Fallout and The Elder Scrolls anyway... or DOOM... or Wolfenstein... pffh!"

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I just wanna know when is Skyrim coming to gamepass?

You can check my trophies or steam account. I think it IS great for Microsoft, but it doesn’t appeal to ME. That can change of course.

Not a fan of this turn of events. Big and surprising news though.

LudicrousSpeed said:
LOL so now we are saying that when Sony strikes these deals, money isn’t involved. They are just “leveraging their user base advantage”. No way.

Anyways, I still don’t believe this is true. What a massive deal.

Me: man Deathloop looks great, wonder how long Sony paid to keep it off of Xbox

Papa Phil: hold my beer

This goes beyond moneyhatting a couple of timed exclusives lol. Like I've been saying for months, Xcloud isn't just some cool optional bonus, it's MS's endgame. This just shows how serious they are about it.

Put on your tinfoil hat and bear with me for a second. At the moment GP has 15m subscribers. I'm guessing most of those subscribers are cheap ass bastards like me, who sign up for a month, play Gears 4/5 and cancel until some new noteworthy games get released. This is why GP is already bleeding money, let alone after a 7.5B acquisition like this.

15m Subscribers is peanuts in the grand scheme of things and I'm sure MS knows they are not going to get a big enough installbase of Series X/S to carry the GP platform. The only way GP can turn profitable is if they can tap into the billions of mobile gamers and massively expand their audience. This is one helluva gamble if you ask me. Are the bulk of the mobile gamers - who never even owned a console - really going to buy and walk around with a Xbox controller and play core games on their phones? Will the total number of gamers really grow exponentially if we don't need to buy consoles anymore and we can all stream games from an app on our TV's? I just don't see that happening at all. What MS seems to be missing is that not everybody with a phone or a TV is a gamer and gamers don't care about Cloud gaming. 

We'll see how this plays out but I honestly see MS releasing GP on ps5/ Switch later on. It would be a win-win for everybody when you think about it, especially for MS shareholders.

sundin13 said:
Warning: Salty post!

So, does this benefit consumers in any way?

Bethesda is big enough that they shouldn't really ever be struggling to put out their games, so assuming this actually means console exclusivity (which, MS says it will be on a case-by-case basis, which means nothing), it feels to me like MS just dumped a bunch of money to make the market a worse place for basically everyone. It may very well be a good business decision, but it feels pretty shitty to watch Microsoft seemingly just dump a bunch of money to make every other console worse instead of dumping money to make Xbox better.

If they don't shift towards exclusivity, my complaints will be unfounded, but I have strong reservations about whether this is a good thing for the industry.

Bold: It benefits Xbox and their consumers. And it’s healthy competition. Best gen was when 360 and PS3 were almost even. Each had success and the industry was big enough for both. Now it’s one sided and therefore not ideal for anyone not fully invested in PlayStation. This evens the field to a degree, which does benefit the industry on the whole. 

You will be dragged kicking and screaming to the Xbox brand, but I guarantee you once you settle in you will find we take care of our own. You will play more games and spend less money doing so, with plenty consumer friendly options. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.