Forums - Sales Discussion - Who will sell the most ?

Who will sell the most

Nintendo Switch 81 68.64%

PS5 37 31.36%

Total:118
CaptainExplosion said:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but PS5. I just have a feeling that's where this battle will go.

Earlier this year you had a feeling that World War III is imminent. The specific name of this feeling is paranoia. You need to learn to ignore it.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Playstation has entered it's permanent decline.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:

Playstation has entered it's permanent decline.

What do you expect for PS5? 

I think Switch will become the biggest system of all time, selling more than PS2. At the very worst will sell 150 million.

PS5 will sell good but less than PS4, i expect something between 100-120 million.

2020 predictions: NSW 25m, PS5 6m, XSX 4.5m, PS4 9m, XB1 3m

In December 2019 i predicted 21m Switch, but that was before COVID, obvius increased my predictions.

Switch will sell more lifetime. I see PS5 selling less than PS4, while Xbox Series X|S selling a bit better than the Xbox One. Right now the Switch is tracking ahead of the PS4 despite having one less holiday. 

VGChartz sales comparison article on Switch vs PS4:

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 464,164 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 7,320,053 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,838,114 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 63,403,962

PS4 Total Sales: 58,565,848

August 2020 is the 42nd month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 464,164 units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 7.32 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 4.84 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 42nd month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is August 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is April 2017. The Switch has sold 623.40 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 58.57 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 47.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 112.96 million units through August 2020. The Nintendo Switch is currently 49.56 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

PS5 hasn't even launched so that would be a pretty random guess at this point. But I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 sold less than PS4.

MasonADC said:
vonny said:

Based on?

more competition and a higher price, obviously not the be all end all but I really dont think ps5 will sell more than the ps4 

The thing about more competition (from Xbox) seems to generally be based on Series S/X launching/doing better than XBO.

When it comes to being appealing to a new consumer, that makes sense. But to win back an old one that switched to Playstation this gen, that's probably more complicated. Now if you have to chose, it probably comes down to which library you prefer.

Gamepass is also an interesting factor. It's available on Xbox and not PS5. But it's also on PC.

Last edited by Hiku - on 19 September 2020

Nintendo is not in as direct of competition as Sony and Microsoft. But I think Switch will have better lifetime sales. PS5 will almost surely sell less than PS4 due to better competition (Switch and Switch 2, Xbox Series X/S). I still think PS5 has a very good shot of 100 million. Maybe even a few million more than that to pass the PS1.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I think overall the Switch will become the best selling console ever, but PS5 still can manage to sell +100 million

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

I do not see the PS5 passing PS4, and I predicted the Switch would outsell the PS4. In fact I don't think the PS5 will pass 100 mil.

A lot of people seem to forget how the PS4 got rolling, Microsoft and Nintendo stumbled hard at the start of the 8th generation. This is completely different, so I believe the PS5 won't be as hot as either PS4 or Switch.

I think the business model Sony is using is in slow decline. How well they do is what they can seize from the Xbox market. It will be hard to win people away from Nintendo because Switch users bought it for things PS5 is incapable of offering. Will 4K be enough to beat the compelling product that is the Nintendo Switch in that overlap demographic? Judging by the increasing numbers of Switch owners, it doesn't look like anyone is holding their breath.
I think Switch, easily, makes itself a more compelling gaming device than mobile for way more people than the 3DS did. The Switch feels kind of like a Steam console + high fidelity mobile gaming with less of a freemium push + Nintendo elite console; it's a fantastic combination.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.