By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Who will sell the most ?

Who will sell the most

Nintendo Switch 82 68.91%

PS5 37 31.09%

Total:119

Switch. PS5 will not do as well as PS4. PS4 capitalized on Wii U and Xbox One being royal fuck ups in 2013. Sony went all out to shit on MS. They didn't have the opportunity this time. Neither MS nor Sony did an amazing job this time but neither royally fucked up either and Switch is the best selling system right now. PS5 is going to have to fight a little harder this gen. Still do damn well I have no doubt.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I think this depends on if or when there is a switch 2 and what it is.

Nintendo could very well make a Switch+ type device, that is the exact same with the switch but with more RAM, and beefier specs, maintain compatibility between the switch and switch+ and call it a day. If Nintendo does that? which is what I think they should do, then the switch could go onto even beat the DS in sales. Talking 150M+ in sales.

If Nintendo makes a switch 2 however, as its own new thing and platform, then that I believe will happenin' 2022. In which case I don't see it selling more than 120M - 125M. If that happens, then I would say the PS5 will beat it out eventually, reason being is that I do not believe we will see PS6 in the traditional sense.

MasonADC said:
vonny said:

Based on?

more competition and a higher price, obviously not the be all end all but I really dont think ps5 will sell more than the ps4 

I think the better answer is the change in Sony's strategy. More profit per unit sold rather than a ton of units sold. Base PS5 at $500 and the more profitable digital PS5 at $400. Compared with $400 PS4.

Farsala said:
MasonADC said:

more competition and a higher price, obviously not the be all end all but I really dont think ps5 will sell more than the ps4 

I think the better answer is the change in Sony's strategy. More profit per unit sold rather than a ton of units sold. Base PS5 at $500 and the more profitable digital PS5 at $400. Compared with $400 PS4.

Yes this also matters, but that would be more noticeable later on in the ps5 lifespan

MasonADC said:
vonny said:

Based on?

With inflation the ps5 is only $50 more than the ps4 launch model, then there's the cheaper digital version. I think the xbox Series X/S will sell even less than xbox one, they've completely lost Europe and Asia.

Around the Network
vonny said:
MasonADC said:

With inflation the ps5 is only $50 more than the ps4 launch model, then there's the cheaper digital version. I think the xbox Series X/S will sell even less than xbox one, they've completely lost Europe and Asia.

Xbox will undoubtly be stronger in North America and Europe this gen than last IMO.  Especially if the price of games do not rise like they did on the ps5. Series S+EA access is a good way to break into sony's fifa dominance as well

Darwinianevolution said:
The problem with the Switch is the possibility of Nintendo replacing it for a Switch 2 to try and keep some sort of power parity, thus cutting the original's legs short.

They said it in march and repeated it last week at their investors meeting, Switch is just at the middle of it's life cycle.

There is a new model coming next year also, so i think it's safe to say the next console will release in minimum 2 years. 

xMetroid said:
Darwinianevolution said:
The problem with the Switch is the possibility of Nintendo replacing it for a Switch 2 to try and keep some sort of power parity, thus cutting the original's legs short.

They said it in march and repeated it last week at their investors meeting, Switch is just at the middle of it's life cycle.

There is a new model coming next year also, so i think it's safe to say the next console will release in minimum 2 years. 

That's probably for the best, I can imagine hardware development for the Switch 2 has slowed down a lot after the pandemic, keeping the easier to develop/port Switch might be the best call for now. Hell, I do wonder if we're going to see a software drought for the XBox X and PS5 after launch.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I picked the PS5 and then i noticed it has to go against the switch so i'm not so sure yet.

Playstation has entered it's permanent decline.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!