By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Who will sell the most ?

Who will sell the most

Nintendo Switch 82 68.91%

PS5 37 31.09%

Total:119
Pyro as Bill said:
Metallox said:

What do you expect for PS5? 

I think it will sell less than Switch and PS4 because Nintendo and MS have decided to turn up this generation.

COKTOE said:

This isn't as much an expectation, as it is what he hopes for.

@Pyro as Bill

Is this your first post since you got back from your most recent ban? Good one.

So, not just a decline from PS4 to PS5, which is reasonable for a variety of factors ( I have said as much as well ), but a permanent decline.

Care to elaborate on this vision into the far future so we can see why it shouldn't be tossed on the already immense Pyro as Bill comment dung heap?

Playstation can't/won't counter Nintendo's hybrid. If Sony can't hurt Nintendo but Nintendo can hurt Sony then it's just a matter of time before the inevitable happens. The best Sony can hope for going forward is to try and steal the remaining ~50m XB consumers that don't buy Playstation while not losing any of their own customers to Nintendo and MS.

If Nintendo would have released a hybrid last gen and MS wouldn't have dropped the ball then the decline from PS2-PS3-PS4 and PSP-PSV-extinction would be more obvious to people.

I appreciate you fleshing out your idea. I think it's terrible. Missing several elements that are in play for all the platform holders beyond the fact that the Switch is a hybrid, as well as the supposition that, PS "can't/won't do it"...But the inclusion of the hypothetical alternate timeline where literally everything that happened, didn't happen, is beyond the pale. GTFO. That could be applied to anything. From some dingus making the wrong call on "Should I eat this shit sandwich?", to "We should let the Soviets have all the German scientists". And this hypothetical is built upon the foundation that PS was already in some type of undeniable decline. As if there's some kind of well established pattern that gives credence to your insane theory. I've seen you make good, coherent posts in political threads. I don't know if you're going through some shit, or you are just that blinded by your bias, but you are better than this.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 20 September 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

too early to say, PS5 is not even out...

COKTOE said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I think it will sell less than Switch and PS4 because Nintendo and MS have decided to turn up this generation.

Playstation can't/won't counter Nintendo's hybrid. If Sony can't hurt Nintendo but Nintendo can hurt Sony then it's just a matter of time before the inevitable happens. The best Sony can hope for going forward is to try and steal the remaining ~50m XB consumers that don't buy Playstation while not losing any of their own customers to Nintendo and MS.

If Nintendo would have released a hybrid last gen and MS wouldn't have dropped the ball then the decline from PS2-PS3-PS4 and PSP-PSV-extinction would be more obvious to people.

I appreciate you fleshing out your idea. I think it's terrible. Missing several elements that are in play for all the platform holders beyond the fact that the Switch is a hybrid, as well as the supposition that, PS "can't/won't do it"...But the inclusion of the hypothetical alternate timeline where literally everything that happened, didn't happen, is beyond the pale. GTFO. That could be applied to anything. From some dingus making the wrong call on "Should I eat this shit sandwich?", to "We should let the Soviets have all the German scientists". And this hypothetical is built upon the foundation that PS was already in some type of undeniable decline. As if there's some kind of well established pattern that gives credence to your insane theory. I've seen you make good, coherent posts in political threads. I don't know if you're going through some shit, or you are just that blinded by your bias, but you are better than this.

Just to prove I'm not biased, I'll point out that historically nobody has ever been able to beat Nintendo's dedicated handhelds but from now on they're also 'doomed' in the sense that they'll never be able to outsell the hybrid.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Nintendo Switch is going to sell around 140-150M so a big no for PS5.

Switch is going to clobber the PS5 by at least a factor of 2:1.  Where do you think all these people who are buying the Switch right now come from?  Switch is stealing sales away from PS5 and Series X.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch is going to clobber the PS5 by at least a factor of 2:1.  Where do you think all these people who are buying the Switch right now come from?  Switch is stealing sales away from PS5 and Series X.

Switch, that released in 2017, is stealing sales from consoles that release in 2020 before they release? Huh...

Nintendo is not in direction competition to Sony and MS since the Wii, whatever they do it's on them, only them.

All I can say is "time wins more converts than reason".  Nintendo is definitely competing with Sony and Microsoft, but I have a feeling you won't be convinced until you see the sales data for the next year or two.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 20 September 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm looking forward to the Switch Pro causing RTX 30 series to utterly tank. Switch Pro going to end the PC master race.

I don’t see PS5 pulling Ps4 numbers. Meanwhile Switch remains a beast and remains unaffected by the Xbox/PS rivalry.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Hiku said:

PS5 hasn't even launched so that would be a pretty random guess at this point. But I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 sold less than PS4.

MasonADC said:

more competition and a higher price, obviously not the be all end all but I really dont think ps5 will sell more than the ps4 

The thing about more competition (from Xbox) seems to generally be based on Series S/X launching/doing better than XBO.

When it comes to being appealing to a new consumer, that makes sense. But to win back an old one that switched to Playstation this gen, that's probably more complicated. Now if you have to chose, it probably comes down to which library you prefer.

Gamepass is also an interesting factor. It's available on Xbox and not PS5. But it's also on PC.

Once we see gameplay of Avowed, Fable, State of Decay 3, Hellblade 2 and Forza, hell even Halo Infinite once it’s been touched up, that’s when the gen will get very interesting. Forza and HB2 aside, Xbox tackling genres that Sony simply isn’t doing anymore. WRPG especially being the big one that if pulled off right can really attract the core gamers to team Xbox. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

At first I read PS5 as PS4 and thought wow what a turnaround from that thread back in January. Still if this was made back then the results would probably be quite different. The Switch will outsell it since it should get past 130 million possibly by a decent amount.