By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Astro's Playroom outsell Wii Sports and become the highest selling console exclusive?

ironmanDX said:
PictoChat greatest selling game of all time confirmed.

No, Minesweeper.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
Mandalore76 said:
The difference being Wii Sports was a title that actually drew people to buying a Wii (system seller/killer app). I haven't heard anyone say that Astro's Playroom is the reason they are getting a PS5.

Astro's Playroom is the reason I am getting a PS5.

How many people are there like you? 1mil? 5mil? 10mil?

HoangNhatAnh said:
Signalstar said:

Astro's Playroom is the reason I am getting a PS5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

GProgrammer said:

According to Vgchartz Wii Sports has sold 82.65 million, Now since nearly all of these sales were because it was a pack-in title, the same must apply to the ps5 pack-in title Astro's Playground.

So will it outsell Wii Sports?

I say probably it has a 50 / 50 chance.

As the PS5 may bomb or they stop including it later on

You're kind of wrong off the bat, unless you have a really broad definition of "nearly all". 

The title was never bundled in Japan, so that's around 4 million that were definitely not sold in bundles.

More significantly, Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario were more heavily bundled in the Wii's later years. In 2012 and 13, I'm pretty sure the Sports bundles were done. The game still sold another 3 and a half million. 

2011, the main Wii Bundles were MKWii and NSMBWii, at least during black Friday. I'm fairly sure Wii Sports wasn't really bundled much of the rest of the year either. Wii Sports still sold 5 million that year. 

Even in 2014, when the Wii itself was not selling and Wii Fit was not bundled, it still sold 500,000. Which is kind of crazy for a seven year old game.

So, a significant chunk of Wii's sales were not bundled. Conservatively, it seems safe to say at least ten million. Based on the continued sales, it seems safe to say that the game would have sold at least 25 million with no bundling, and this is again a conservative estimate. 

So it's kind of a pointless comparison. If someone gets some sort of happiness out of more copies of Astro's Playroom existing in some form (assuming they bundle it for the PS5's lifespan), then good for them I guess. But there's no doubt that Wii Sports will be the more successful and influential title. 

That's comparable to saying Pictochat is the best selling game of all time with 154 Million copies sold

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

"Dozens" doesn't even equal 1 mil you know

Dulfite said:
If it's digital only and already downloaded, then to me it's more an app than a game.

Agreed. It's pre-loaded in the system. Not sure that should count.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Astro's Playroom and Demon's Souls are the reasons I want a ps5, so sure.

4 ≈ One

it counts but for what?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

BraLoD said:
If Wii Sports counts this definitely counts too.
But Wii Sports doesn't, so this doesn't either.

Well according to this site, they are counting all the bundled Wii Sports as actual sales