By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PS4's Lifespan Will Be 3-4 More Years

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

Ryan said he expects up to four years for the PlayStation 4′s expected life span, which makes sense considering the console’s large install base. The PlayStation 2 had a life span of about 13 years, and developers continued to support it several years after the PlayStation 3 approached its middle age.

“The PS4 community will continue to be incredibly important to us for three or four years,” Ryan said. “Many will transition to PS5, we hope if we do our job well, but tens of millions will still be engaged with the PS4.”

Basically console generations are kinda over as you knew them. You will have these kinds of "phased transitions" as a standard I think for everyone. 

Around the Network

I do wonder if this will mean that more games will be announced for the ps4 from Sony that were originally thought as ps5 exclusive or if the 3 or so they announced will be the only ones coming to ps4?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The fact that many many people do not have 4K TVs tells me this is probably true. I will get PS5 asap, but I won't be able to utilize it's potential for quite a few years.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

PS consoles usually made for 10 years. No more PS4 exclusives but 3rd parties still next couple of years. Same as always.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
PS consoles usually made for 10 years. No more PS4 exclusives but 3rd parties still next couple of years. Same as always.

THIS!!

Around the Network

I'm guessing this means that any games Sony makes that can run on a ps4, will release for Ps4. Let's be honest, not every game is going to be a massive AAAA blockbuster with photorealistic visuals and warping through worlds.

So no comment on actual PS4 production going forward?
Re-engineering it for cheaper version would make sense, albeit that would mostly be focused on non-core markets i.e. poorer countries.
A discless model could still make sense and allow cheaper price too.

Too much empty PR BS for me though.

You can’t just turn your back to 110+ million units sold

It really makes MS 1-2 years not seem so bad now, does it?

smroadkill15 said:
It really makes MS 1-2 years not seem so bad now, does it?

PS4 lifespan as it relates to Sony's 10+ year support plan has nothing to do with MS wanting all their 1st party titles on X1 for 1 to 2 years. Apples to Oranges and completely off topic.