By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 and Pro needs to get price cuts right now!

Tagged games:

BraLoD said:
Farsala said:
Won't happen. 2 or 3 years ago it should have happened, but it didn't happen so here we are. Here's the thing.

PS5 is matching XB Series X price to allow consumers to think it is just as valuable.

Switch matches PS4 to keep value. Thus PS4 Pro has to be more expensive than the Switch to keep value.

We are pretty much in a price cut standstill due to the big 3 going with the Apple strategy of "Value".

What value is the Pro keeping when the Series S is $100 cheaper than it?

Nintendo is a world apart, Sony competitor is Microsoft, there are the prices were people will look to make comparisions.

People that want a Switch will get it no matter what, PS4/PS5 prices doesn't make anyone move to Nintendo, they don't have direct competition between them, very different platforms.

This is all about maximizing profits though. The competition doesn't matter that much other than to demonstrate value. People think oh wow the PS5 is only $100 more than the PS4 Pro, what a great deal! They buy it and then forget that they just spent $500. If the PS4 drops in price, then they think the PS5 could drop in price too.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
I would worry more about that LoD remake over this if i were you

It's happening, don't worry.

Farsala said:
BraLoD said:

What value is the Pro keeping when the Series S is $100 cheaper than it?

Nintendo is a world apart, Sony competitor is Microsoft, there are the prices were people will look to make comparisions.

People that want a Switch will get it no matter what, PS4/PS5 prices doesn't make anyone move to Nintendo, they don't have direct competition between them, very different platforms.

This is all about maximizing profits though. The competition doesn't matter that much other than to demonstrate value. People think oh wow the PS5 is only $100 more than the PS4 Pro, what a great deal! They buy it and then forget that they just spent $500. If the PS4 drops in price, then they think the PS5 could drop in price too.

I don't think so.

Instead of looking to the PS5 and thinking it's a good deal they'll look to the Pro and think it's too close to the PS5, that's exactly how I see it.

Ninth gen is the base for comparision now, not the other way around.

Laughs in Sony

RolStoppable said:
BraLoD said:

Why would they not move to PS5 if they will get 18 of the best games they didn't play yet for a single plus subscription they might already have made?

"I'm short on money and buy games on bargain, but I'm moving to Series X and ignoring those games that could keep me in check without spending for games for around 2 years, other than some release I really want, instead."

Sony is basically locking the majority of new Plus buyers on their ecosystem, the PS5 got a huge value boost for those people.

Late adopters aren't likely to spend money on a subscription in the first place. But among those who are willing to pay for a subscription, you have to remember that Game Pass is a thing and can boast with a much larger selection of titles to play. Additionally, Xbox Series S is in consideration for people who are short on money, not just because of its price tag, but also the financing option to pay small monthly rates.

This isn't as clear cut as you want it to be. It would be shocking if Sony hadn't already run several predictive models to determine whether a PS4 price cut is worth it or not. They had great Black Friday deals for a few years in a row and probably concluded that not enough of those cheap PS4s resulted in long term subscribers for PS+. In other words, going cheap doesn't lock people into their ecosystem.

Generally speaking, I have my doubts that locking people into an ecosystem works to begin with. The vast majority of people that are retained are most likely still there because of future games, so they wouldn't have picked another console either way. I know the idea is that "you've spent hundreds of dollars in this ecosystem, so would you really be willing to leave all that behind and choose another console", but the big flaws with that are, for one, buying a new console doesn't make your old system and games go away, and two, for a lot of people the value of their previous purchases degrades over time, so they don't mind moving on to something different that they consider better.

A generation ago there were Xbox fans who believed that Microsoft had locked gamers at large into their ecosystem with digital purchase histories and all the gamertags with their achievements, but it quickly turned out that that wasn't the case because way too many 360 owners opted for a PS4 as their next console. The PS5 will have to succeed on its merits, rather than the PS4 being assumed to have laid a foundation where a PS5 is the only logical choice after a PS4. What Sony has shown with the PS5 is solid enough to transition gamers from the PS4 to the PS5 or bring in gamers who didn't own a PS4, so I doubt they'll see any need to be aggressive with PS4 pricing on the final stretch where they'd lose money on individual consumers in hopes that the investment will pay off later with a PS5 purchase.

Of course Sony runs lots of prediction models.

Pay in mind we are talking about a person that bought the PS4 because of the price cut, they are already there, the incentive to jump ship for the XSeries because of Gamepass is now mitigated by the PS Plus Collection, as they are already ellegible for that.

They choose the PS4 and will gets an amazing selling of those games whenever they jump to the PS5 automatically if they bought the plus.

Almost 1/2 of the total install base of PS4 have plus, if you consider people that sold their system it should be more than 1/2 of the actual users, so the changes anyone will buy plus is high, specially knowing the benefits from having it on next gen now.

Around the Network

If you could buy a ps5 then taking off the ps4 pro would make sense i have ps4 pro if for e.g. my ps4 pro dies & i couldnt get ps5 which at this very moment i cant get it 7 - 8 months later then what i am suppose to do buy a base ps4? since a new ps4 pro wouldnt be available a used one would be of double the retail price which it already is as of now since ps4 pro was announced not to be in stock

Last edited by irtz - on 05 January 2021

EricHiggin said:

An SSD on a PS4 doesn't make much difference because it's SATA II as far as I know. Pro has SATA III and can make a fairly significant difference when it comes to things like load times or pop in. I know an SSD in Pro wouldn't make it like a PS5.

You wouldn't market Pro as next gen, but you would market the SNY brand and specs against XBSS.

8 Cores vs 8 Cores.

4.2 TF vs 4.0 TF.

1TB SSD vs 512GB SSD.

Pro even has 9GB RAM total vs XBSS 10GB RAM.

I think it could work if SNY planned to keep selling a version of the PS4 if not both. They could still keep PS4 and have it at $199 in this scenario.

Eric thats a horrible idea and a huge way to slap your customers in the face.

For example, the Series S is in another playing field when it comes to its preformance in all aspects. So comparing numbers which literally mean nothing only to lose out in the long term is not a good look.

Imagine you are one of the kids that saw an Add advertising the Pros specs with the XSS, and you convince your parants to buy one for you due to its price, only finding out in 1 years time, none of the next gen games work on the Pro while the XSS will be playing all next gen games for the next 5 to 10 years. 

You want that to happen to the customers just so Sony can sell more old units?

Last edited by Azzanation - on 06 January 2021

BraLoD said:

So with today's reveal we have the PS4 Pro and PS5 Digital having the exact same official price... this is just wrong... that's how inflated those PS4 prices are!

The bare minimum Sony should do is a $100 price cut on both the PS4 and Pro so they would be a $100 ladder from PS4 to PS4P to PS5D to PS5 ($200, $300, $400, $500), but even so, the Series S makes the Pro really obsolete as it is, it needs to be cheaper than it, IMO.

Sony should slash an extra $50 from the Pro and have 200/250 for eight gen and 400/500 for ninth gen.

PS4 sales have already dropped really hard and if they don't do this it will dead by the time the PS5 launches in two months... so much for making cross gen games to a console nobody will be buying anymore!

What do you think?

EricHiggin said:

Worthy possibilities above, but how about another.

SNY drops PS4, reduces Pro to $249 and compares it to XBSS. 8 Cores, 4.2TF, 1TB. The big factors pushed to casuals. $50 less than XBSS and plays some next/cross gen games for a few years.

Yea, Sony drops plain PS4 completely, not only to free production lines for PS5, but also because at this point keeping it as main architecture in cross-gen titles keeps them too much behind, but also stops calling Pro the current Pro, shrinks it and makes it the PS4 Super Slim, at the price you suggest and with all the savings in warehouse  and shelf space (and living room space too for people with small houses), shipping costs and raw materials, and higher appeal on Japanese gamers too (although at this point this will be quite a puny bonus) a Super Slim allows.
Such an entry level would allow an easier downgrade of PS5 cross-gen titles without crippling them too much, while OTOH XBSS will actively cripple every XBS title, unless the devs have enough funds to make TWO full version of the 9th gen versions of their games, even the non cross-gen ones (those with limited funds will probably just make the XBSS version and just let the engine automatically upscale it on XBSX).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I think Sony at this point does not care if there is no price reduction for PS4, this console has already sold everything it had to sell and they are going to focus on PS5

You were wrong in September and still is =p
PS4 won't get much more sales with a price cut versus without that would offset the loss on profit per unit and I think I already put examples for you.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."