By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 and Pro needs to get price cuts right now!

Tagged games:

Maybe one day they will stop producing PS4 Pro and introduce PS5 Lite to compete Xbox Series S.

Around the Network

Shame the 90s or mid-2000s are gone as seeing a fairly recent console drop to $99 felt like a steal. I guess they won't as PS5 will be sold at a loss and PS4 sales need to make up for it for a year or two.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Shame the 90s or mid-2000s are gone as seeing a fairly recent console drop to $99 felt like a steal. I guess they won't as PS5 will be sold at a loss and PS4 sales need to make up for it for a year or two.

Are you referring to PS4 console sales or game sales? They can't really make enough profit on overpriced PS4s to make a difference. The only thing that matters in ongoing game sales (and online subscription etc), and cheap PS4s is how you get more PS4 customers buying games etc. Of course the customers interested in that probably aren't going to spend the same amount on game etc, but it could still be a worthwhile market.

QUAKECore89 said:
Maybe one day they will stop producing PS4 Pro and introduce PS5 Lite to compete Xbox Series S.

The digital PS5 is already good competition for the Series S.

BraLoD said:
RolStoppable said:
PS4 Pro production is likely going to stop within the next few months, so it won't be a problem.

The point of Sony's crossgen games isn't to move more PS4 hardware, it's to make money with software sales alone. The PS5 will be sold at a considerable loss based on Sony's muted profit forecast in their gaming division for the current fiscal year. Because of that, you shouldn't expect any permanent PS4 price cut anymore, because it's probable that the PS4's remaining job is nothing more than mitigating the incoming PS5 losses.

Sony's forecast of 9m for the PS4 this fiscal year leaves enough room for another round of temporary Black Friday/holiday deals. That's about it, although one has to wonder if Sony will really want to give the PS4 another such push with the PS5 launching at the same time.

PS4 can't mitigate the losses of anything if it doesn't sell.

Um... no. The PS4 would be unable to mitigate PS5 losses if it began to lose money itself with the price points you suggested in the OP. Today's consoles have too many components to reach the low prices of consoles of the past, plus inflation is another reason.

The PS4 still has a large active userbase that is paying for games, subscriptions and DLCs. Meanwhile, the people who would only buy a PS4 at prices like $199 are likely to buy not more than a few Greatest Hits and other bargain games, so it would be hard to see any profit from them. That level of investment in a platform also isn't one where you could count on bigger spending on video games in the future from these same consumers; their next console might not even be a PlayStation.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network

Won't happen. 2 or 3 years ago it should have happened, but it didn't happen so here we are. Here's the thing.

PS5 is matching XB Series X price to allow consumers to think it is just as valuable.

Switch matches PS4 to keep value. Thus PS4 Pro has to be more expensive than the Switch to keep value.

We are pretty much in a price cut standstill due to the big 3 going with the Apple strategy of "Value".

Farsala said:
Won't happen. 2 or 3 years ago it should have happened, but it didn't happen so here we are. Here's the thing.

PS5 is matching XB Series X price to allow consumers to think it is just as valuable.

Switch matches PS4 to keep value. Thus PS4 Pro has to be more expensive than the Switch to keep value.

We are pretty much in a price cut standstill due to the big 3 going with the Apple strategy of "Value".

What value is the Pro keeping when the Series S is $100 cheaper than it?

Nintendo is a world apart, Sony competitor is Microsoft, there are the prices were people will look to make comparisions.

People that want a Switch will get it no matter what, PS4/PS5 prices doesn't make anyone move to Nintendo, they don't have direct competition between them, very different platforms.

RolStoppable said:
BraLoD said:

PS4 can't mitigate the losses of anything if it doesn't sell.

Um... no. The PS4 would be unable to mitigate PS5 losses if it began to lose money itself with the price points you suggested in the OP. Today's consoles have too many components to reach the low prices of consoles of the past, plus inflation is another reason.

The PS4 still has a large active userbase that is paying for games, subscriptions and DLCs. Meanwhile, the people who would only buy a PS4 at prices like $199 are likely to buy not more than a few Greatest Hits and other bargain games, so it would be hard to see any profit from them. That level of investment in a platform also isn't one where you could count on bigger spending on video games in the future from these same consumers; their next console might not even be a PlayStation.

Why would they not move to PS5 if they will get 18 of the best games they didn't play yet for a single plus subscription they might already have made?

"I'm short on money and buy games on bargain, but I'm moving to Series X and ignoring those games that could keep me in check without spending for games for around 2 years, other than some release I really want, instead."

Sony is basically locking the majority of new Plus buyers on their ecosystem, the PS5 got a huge value boost for those people.

I would worry more about that LoD remake over this if i were you

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

BraLoD said:

Why would they not move to PS5 if they will get 18 of the best games they didn't play yet for a single plus subscription they might already have made?

"I'm short on money and buy games on bargain, but I'm moving to Series X and ignoring those games that could keep me in check without spending for games for around 2 years, other than some release I really want, instead."

Sony is basically locking the majority of new Plus buyers on their ecosystem, the PS5 got a huge value boost for those people.

Late adopters aren't likely to spend money on a subscription in the first place. But among those who are willing to pay for a subscription, you have to remember that Game Pass is a thing and can boast with a much larger selection of titles to play. Additionally, Xbox Series S is in consideration for people who are short on money, not just because of its price tag, but also the financing option to pay small monthly rates.

This isn't as clear cut as you want it to be. It would be shocking if Sony hadn't already run several predictive models to determine whether a PS4 price cut is worth it or not. They had great Black Friday deals for a few years in a row and probably concluded that not enough of those cheap PS4s resulted in long term subscribers for PS+. In other words, going cheap doesn't lock people into their ecosystem.

Generally speaking, I have my doubts that locking people into an ecosystem works to begin with. The vast majority of people that are retained are most likely still there because of future games, so they wouldn't have picked another console either way. I know the idea is that "you've spent hundreds of dollars in this ecosystem, so would you really be willing to leave all that behind and choose another console", but the big flaws with that are, for one, buying a new console doesn't make your old system and games go away, and two, for a lot of people the value of their previous purchases degrades over time, so they don't mind moving on to something different that they consider better.

A generation ago there were Xbox fans who believed that Microsoft had locked gamers at large into their ecosystem with digital purchase histories and all the gamertags with their achievements, but it quickly turned out that that wasn't the case because way too many 360 owners opted for a PS4 as their next console. The PS5 will have to succeed on its merits, rather than the PS4 being assumed to have laid a foundation where a PS5 is the only logical choice after a PS4. What Sony has shown with the PS5 is solid enough to transition gamers from the PS4 to the PS5 or bring in gamers who didn't own a PS4, so I doubt they'll see any need to be aggressive with PS4 pricing on the final stretch where they'd lose money on individual consumers in hopes that the investment will pay off later with a PS5 purchase.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments