By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 and Pro needs to get price cuts right now!

Tagged games:

If you could buy a ps5 then taking off the ps4 pro would make sense i have ps4 pro if for e.g. my ps4 pro dies & i couldnt get ps5 which at this very moment i cant get it 7 - 8 months later then what i am suppose to do buy a base ps4? since a new ps4 pro wouldnt be available a used one would be of double the retail price which it already is as of now since ps4 pro was announced not to be in stock

Last edited by irtz - on 05 January 2021

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

An SSD on a PS4 doesn't make much difference because it's SATA II as far as I know. Pro has SATA III and can make a fairly significant difference when it comes to things like load times or pop in. I know an SSD in Pro wouldn't make it like a PS5.

You wouldn't market Pro as next gen, but you would market the SNY brand and specs against XBSS.

8 Cores vs 8 Cores.

4.2 TF vs 4.0 TF.

1TB SSD vs 512GB SSD.

Pro even has 9GB RAM total vs XBSS 10GB RAM.

I think it could work if SNY planned to keep selling a version of the PS4 if not both. They could still keep PS4 and have it at $199 in this scenario.

Eric thats a horrible idea and a huge way to slap your customers in the face.

For example, the Series S is in another playing field when it comes to its preformance in all aspects. So comparing numbers which literally mean nothing only to lose out in the long term is not a good look.

Imagine you are one of the kids that saw an Add advertising the Pros specs with the XSS, and you convince your parants to buy one for you due to its price, only finding out in 1 years time, none of the next gen games work on the Pro while the XSS will be playing all next gen games for the next 5 to 10 years. 

You want that to happen to the customers just so Sony can sell more old units?

Last edited by Azzanation - on 06 January 2021

BraLoD said:

So with today's reveal we have the PS4 Pro and PS5 Digital having the exact same official price... this is just wrong... that's how inflated those PS4 prices are!

The bare minimum Sony should do is a $100 price cut on both the PS4 and Pro so they would be a $100 ladder from PS4 to PS4P to PS5D to PS5 ($200, $300, $400, $500), but even so, the Series S makes the Pro really obsolete as it is, it needs to be cheaper than it, IMO.

Sony should slash an extra $50 from the Pro and have 200/250 for eight gen and 400/500 for ninth gen.

PS4 sales have already dropped really hard and if they don't do this it will dead by the time the PS5 launches in two months... so much for making cross gen games to a console nobody will be buying anymore!

What do you think?

EricHiggin said:

Worthy possibilities above, but how about another.

SNY drops PS4, reduces Pro to $249 and compares it to XBSS. 8 Cores, 4.2TF, 1TB. The big factors pushed to casuals. $50 less than XBSS and plays some next/cross gen games for a few years.

Yea, Sony drops plain PS4 completely, not only to free production lines for PS5, but also because at this point keeping it as main architecture in cross-gen titles keeps them too much behind, but also stops calling Pro the current Pro, shrinks it and makes it the PS4 Super Slim, at the price you suggest and with all the savings in warehouse  and shelf space (and living room space too for people with small houses), shipping costs and raw materials, and higher appeal on Japanese gamers too (although at this point this will be quite a puny bonus) a Super Slim allows.
Such an entry level would allow an easier downgrade of PS5 cross-gen titles without crippling them too much, while OTOH XBSS will actively cripple every XBS title, unless the devs have enough funds to make TWO full version of the 9th gen versions of their games, even the non cross-gen ones (those with limited funds will probably just make the XBSS version and just let the engine automatically upscale it on XBSX).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I think Sony at this point does not care if there is no price reduction for PS4, this console has already sold everything it had to sell and they are going to focus on PS5

You were wrong in September and still is =p
PS4 won't get much more sales with a price cut versus without that would offset the loss on profit per unit and I think I already put examples for you.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
EricHiggin said:

An SSD on a PS4 doesn't make much difference because it's SATA II as far as I know. Pro has SATA III and can make a fairly significant difference when it comes to things like load times or pop in. I know an SSD in Pro wouldn't make it like a PS5.

You wouldn't market Pro as next gen, but you would market the SNY brand and specs against XBSS.

8 Cores vs 8 Cores.

4.2 TF vs 4.0 TF.

1TB SSD vs 512GB SSD.

Pro even has 9GB RAM total vs XBSS 10GB RAM.

I think it could work if SNY planned to keep selling a version of the PS4 if not both. They could still keep PS4 and have it at $199 in this scenario.

For example, the Series S is in another playing field when it comes to its preformance in all aspects. So comparing numbers which literally mean nothing only to lose out in the long term is not a good look.

Imagine you are one of the kids that saw an Add advertising the Pros specs with the XSS, and you convince your parants to buy one for you due to its price, only finding out in 1 years time, none of the next gen games work on the Pro while the XSS will be playing all next gen games for the next 5 to 10 years. 

Is it really though? I mean, is XBSS truly next gen compared to XB1X and XBSX?

If you compare Pro to XB1X, Pro was way overpriced, yet nobody really seemed to care.

I also clearly stated that, "You wouldn't market Pro as next gen, but you would market the SNY brand and specs against XBSS."

As long as they weren't tricking people into thinking it'll be fully next gen capable machine by marketing it that way, then what's the problem? It's similar specs at a similar if not lesser price for a gaming console. Doesn't that exist already?

Alby_da_Wolf said:
EricHiggin said:

Worthy possibilities above, but how about another.

SNY drops PS4, reduces Pro to $249 and compares it to XBSS. 8 Cores, 4.2TF, 1TB. The big factors pushed to casuals. $50 less than XBSS and plays some next/cross gen games for a few years.

Yea, Sony drops plain PS4 completely, not only to free production lines for PS5, but also because at this point keeping it as main architecture in cross-gen titles keeps them too much behind, but also stops calling Pro the current Pro, shrinks it and makes it the PS4 Super Slim, at the price you suggest and with all the savings in warehouse  and shelf space (and living room space too for people with small houses), shipping costs and raw materials, and higher appeal on Japanese gamers too (although at this point this will be quite a puny bonus) a Super Slim allows.
Such an entry level would allow an easier downgrade of PS5 cross-gen titles without crippling them too much, while OTOH XBSS will actively cripple every XBS title, unless the devs have enough funds to make TWO full version of the 9th gen versions of their games, even the non cross-gen ones (those with limited funds will probably just make the XBSS version and just let the engine automatically upscale it on XBSX).

XBSS would still have a clear advantage over Pro in terms of next gen capabilities, that wouldn't change. It's simply not handing over that price range completely to MS for casuals who just want a lower end gaming console.

Looks as though by recent moves, SNY is going to eventually completely discontinue Pro and keep pushing out PS4. I would also then assume it'll be getting a price drop as soon as things start to open back up to $249 or $199. That should be enough to lure a worthy amount on consumers away from a $299 XBSS.

EricHiggin said:
Azzanation said:

Is it really though? I mean, is XBSS truly next gen compared to XB1X and XBSX?

If you compare Pro to XB1X, Pro was way overpriced, yet nobody really seemed to care.

I also clearly stated that, "You wouldn't market Pro as next gen, but you would market the SNY brand and specs against XBSS."

As long as they weren't tricking people into thinking it'll be fully next gen capable machine by marketing it that way, then what's the problem? It's similar specs at a similar if not lesser price for a gaming console. Doesn't that exist already?

But you would be tricking people into thinking its next gen by showing the numbers which does not determine a next gen machine. 

Its like comparing a Buick Regal 4.9lt V8 to a 2000 Porsche 911 3.4lt 6 and saying the Regal is faster because of the bigger engine. That type of marketing is only meant to trick people. The Buick wouldn't even finish the race.

The difference is, one is a next gen capable machine while the PS4/XB1 machines are not. Very soon none of the games will be compatible with the Pro and X. 

I tried downloading The Medium on my XB1-X and it says "Incapable Hardware" can only be played on a Series S/X and PC.

You are right in one way, you will generate sales because of the method of tricking customers into believe one is better value and performance however when the time comes, all those customers are going to be quite upset realizing their new machine cannot play new games while the Series S will be playing next gen games with Ray Tracing and with better CPU performance and load times etc.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 07 January 2021

Well they could change the name from PS4 pro to PS5 semi pro. That would reduce confusion. Also... Didn't Microsoft learn anything from Wii to Wii U transition. American consumers aren't smart enough to know difference in generations unless you provide numbers not stupid names.

sethnintendo said:

Well they could change the name from PS4 pro to PS5 semi pro. That would reduce confusion. Also... Didn't Microsoft learn anything from Wii to Wii U transition. American consumers aren't smart enough to know difference in generations unless you provide numbers not stupid names.

Wii and WiiU were made by a Japanese company which failed world wide, so not sure why this was directed straight to American consumers not being smart enough.

Azzanation said:
sethnintendo said:

Wii and WiiU were made by a Japanese company which failed world wide, so not sure why this was directed straight to American consumers not being smart enough.

Well if they can't tell difference between Wii and Wii U how are people supposed to know difference between Xbox One and Xbox Series S and X.  Soon Microsoft will have to put out something like this.