By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 and Pro needs to get price cuts right now!

Tagged games:

please drop that price, my Vader PS4 is on it's last legs. USB's don't work (so if the two controllers I have paired to it go ... it becomes a brick). The disk drive got fed a plastic star by the toddler and sounds like hell (sometimes have to put a game in several times before it will read). I would snap up a cheap one in a heartbeat.

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
JWeinCom said:
Eh... I don't think so really.

Depends on their objective. A PS5 sale is more valuable to them than a PS4 sale, because the PS5 owner will probably generate more revenue for them in the long run. Selling more systems isn't necessarily their goal. And even at 200/250 I don't see the PS4 being a very attractive proposition because of the 300 dollar XBox Series S and Swtich.

The PS2 had a lot of success post PS3 but that was a different market, and Sony was launching the PS3 at a very high price to the point where a cheap PS2 wasn't going to influence it. I can see Sony just letting hardware sales drop quickly.

well but with 99% of PS4 games working on PS5 and PS+ being a thing it could be worth it to provide an ultra cheap option that's in impulse buy territory to get people locked into their ecosystem.  Even if it only results in PS5 sales years later it's still worth it for them.  Those cheap buyers are then more likely to get a PS5 when it is cheaper.

That's a viable strategy. Personally, I don't know to what extent people are locked into the ecosystem. I had a 360 (I also had a PS3 but I only had a few games for it and it broke) but that really didn't factor into my decision to buy a PS4, because if I wanted to play the older games I still had the hardware. It may be a little different if there's something like PSPlus where the games are tied to an account, but I still don't know. 

Really comes down to how many of those late gen adopters they think will remain with the brand and how many of them could be persuaded to buy a PS5 instead.

JWeinCom said:

Depends on their objective. A PS5 sale is more valuable to them than a PS4 sale, because the PS5 owner will probably generate more revenue for them in the long run. Selling more systems isn't necessarily their goal. And even at 200/250 I don't see the PS4 being a very attractive proposition because of the 300 dollar XBox Series S and Swtich.

The PS2 had a lot of success post PS3 but that was a different market, and Sony was launching the PS3 at a very high price to the point where a cheap PS2 wasn't going to influence it. I can see Sony just letting hardware sales drop quickly.

It's not a point of selling the PS5 is better, nobody will have any reason to buy the PS4 Pro at all, they are literally killing their own product.

I know they want people to move gens, but for people that are waiting for a cheaper system to get into the current to be old gen... they just won't have any option.

Better phase it out than to let it be priced the same as the next gen version of it.

RolStoppable said:
PS4 Pro production is likely going to stop within the next few months, so it won't be a problem.

The point of Sony's crossgen games isn't to move more PS4 hardware, it's to make money with software sales alone. The PS5 will be sold at a considerable loss based on Sony's muted profit forecast in their gaming division for the current fiscal year. Because of that, you shouldn't expect any permanent PS4 price cut anymore, because it's probable that the PS4's remaining job is nothing more than mitigating the incoming PS5 losses.

Sony's forecast of 9m for the PS4 this fiscal year leaves enough room for another round of temporary Black Friday/holiday deals. That's about it, although one has to wonder if Sony will really want to give the PS4 another such push with the PS5 launching at the same time.

PS4 can't mitigate the losses of anything if it doesn't sell.

Last edited by BraLoD - on 16 September 2020

BraLoD said:
JWeinCom said:

It's not a point of selling the PS5 is better, nobody will have any reason to buy the PS4 Pro at all, they are literally killing their own product.

I know they want people to move gens, but for people that are waiting for a cheaper system to get into the current to be old gen... they just won't have any option.

Better phase it out than to let it be priced the same as the next gen version of it.

What's wrong with killing their own product?  It's not like it's a child, it's a product line. When it no longer serves a purpose be done with it. 

The PS4 Pro was designed for those who wanted the best graphics available... That market now is better served with a PS5 or Series X. I could still see a function for the PS4 Slim as a low cost entry point, but the Pro doesn't really serve a purpose anymore. 

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
JWeinCom said:

well but with 99% of PS4 games working on PS5 and PS+ being a thing it could be worth it to provide an ultra cheap option that's in impulse buy territory to get people locked into their ecosystem.  Even if it only results in PS5 sales years later it's still worth it for them.  Those cheap buyers are then more likely to get a PS5 when it is cheaper.

Exactly.

People buy the PS4, subscribe to Plus and are likely going to buy a PS5 later on, specially with the PS Plus Collection, they just move when they can, sell their PS4 and still have 18 of the best games on it available on their PS5 as soon as they get it.

Sony should really be making the PS4 as cheap as possible to secure the most people on their ecosystem to move for the PS5 down the road.

EricHiggin said:

Actually, what if Pro (Slim?) was reduced to $299, with it's 8 cores, 4.2TF, but uses a 2.5" 1TB SSD instead of an HDD? Could they better compete with XBSS for a few years that way?

No, PS4 games are not developed around a SSD, you can just some load speeds and that's it.

The SSD of next gen is a vital part of game development from now on, last gen simply can't compete with it just having a SSD on it (which you can try on your PS4 and see how it works).

JWeinCom said:
BraLoD said:

What's wrong with killing their own product?  It's not like it's a child, it's a product line. When it no longer serves a purpose be done with it. 

The PS4 Pro was designed for those who wanted the best graphics available... That market now is better served with a PS5 or Series X. I could still see a function for the PS4 Slim as a low cost entry point, but the Pro doesn't really serve a purpose anymore. 

If they want to kill the PS4 why are they still developing flagship titles for it them?

Seems like a very confusing message.

BraLoD said:
EricHiggin said:

Actually, what if Pro (Slim?) was reduced to $299, with it's 8 cores, 4.2TF, but uses a 2.5" 1TB SSD instead of an HDD? Could they better compete with XBSS for a few years that way?

No, PS4 games are not developed around a SSD, you can just some load speeds and that's it.

The SSD of next gen is a vital part of game development from now on, last gen simply can't compete with it just having a SSD on it (which you can try on your PS4 and see how it works).

An SSD on a PS4 doesn't make much difference because it's SATA II as far as I know. Pro has SATA III and can make a fairly significant difference when it comes to things like load times or pop in. I know an SSD in Pro wouldn't make it like a PS5.

You wouldn't market Pro as next gen, but you would market the SNY brand and specs against XBSS.

8 Cores vs 8 Cores.

4.2 TF vs 4.0 TF.

1TB SSD vs 512GB SSD.

Pro even has 9GB RAM total vs XBSS 10GB RAM.

I think it could work if SNY planned to keep selling a version of the PS4 if not both. They could still keep PS4 and have it at $199 in this scenario.

BraLoD said:
JWeinCom said:

If they want to kill the PS4 why are they still developing flagship titles for it them?

Seems like a very confusing message.

Because there are already 100 million people who own a PS4. Just because you don't really want to make aggressive efforts to sell more PS4 hardware doesn't mean you stop selling software.