By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else felt underwhelmed with the FF XVI reveal?

Visually pretty underwhelming. Looked closer to FFXV than FFVII Remake. Definitely not next gen.

Setting is not a good choice either. Pretty much all WRPGs are using a medival setting and Souls games do as well.
Reminds me of the old FPS days where everything was WWII.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Honestly, World of Final Fantasy was SE's attempt at a turn based FF on home console. People didn't buy it, even though the combat was good. People care much more about graphics and plot. If people really only wanted turn based FF, then they would have bought it in droves, but I think it was a commercial failure.

Ugh, thats like saying people didnt buy FF type 0 so they have no interest in action FF. World of FF was low budget, childish looking spin off which of course was not going to set the world of fire. The success of OCtopath, a game with way more artistic integrity and ambition shows that there is still place for turn based. 

Barozi said:
Visually pretty underwhelming. Looked closer to FFXV than FFVII Remake. Definitely not next gen.

Setting is not a good choice either. Pretty much all WRPGs are using a medival setting and Souls games do as well.
Reminds me of the old FPS days where everything was WWII.

This is a return to high fantasy. The first in a long time in FF outside of FFXIV which was a MMO.

Its actually quite refreshing after all the pseudo cyberpunk and steampunk FF games. Maybe thats just me :P

I'm currently playing through the PS1 Final Fantasy games on Switch. I've also played two SNES FF games and about 20 hours each of X and XIII. But with each entry, this series feels less like... Final Fantasy to me. It looks so generic. If it wasn't for the out-of-place Chocobos in the trailer I'm not even sure if I would've recognised this as a Final Fantasy game without a title or logo. I'm more hyped to play FF IX next and VII remake after that than for this.

Yeah, the setting is fine. The Art direction is the problem. Not disimilar from 11 or 14 but a far cry from what we're used to for the offline entries.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
FF XV vibes? Not FF XIV?
Feels like a sequel to that series. MMORPG.

This... half the trailer I taught that this will be an enhanced expansion-laden re-release of FFXIV, or that XVI will be an MMO...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Bristow9091 said:

... I was really excited when it first came on, trying to guess what it was, wondered if it was... and then I saw chocobos, summons (Ifrit did look pretty great, let's just admit it) and a Malboro... and then... the logo! I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little giddy. Even if it turns out to be "bad" I'm still gonna' be buying it day one, and will probably enjoy it. Even the "worst" Final Fantasy games, I consider to be good games, lol.

Well, I'm still gonna buy it and play it to completion. I did actually Plat FFXV and I consider that the second worst FF of all time. So I'll play it, try to cling to the few enjoyable things and then will stop playing it and try to forget it exists and even worse, it exists in place of something that could've actually been great.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Otter said:
Farsala said:
Honestly, World of Final Fantasy was SE's attempt at a turn based FF on home console. People didn't buy it, even though the combat was good. People care much more about graphics and plot. If people really only wanted turn based FF, then they would have bought it in droves, but I think it was a commercial failure.

Ugh, thats like saying people didnt buy FF type 0 so they have no interest in action FF. World of FF was low budget, childish looking spin off which of course was not going to set the world of fire. The success of OCtopath, a game with way more artistic integrity and ambition shows that there is still place for turn based. 

As I said childish or not, a Turn based FF didn't align with buyers. Octopath doesn't have a sequel yet either :/, even with success it wasn't successful enough it seems.

Farsala said:
Otter said:

As I said childish or not, a Turn based FF didn't align with buyers. Octopath doesn't have a sequel yet either :/, even with success it wasn't successful enough it seems.

As I said an action based Final Fantasy didn't align with buyers (type 0, Lightning Returns). Furthermore we could argue that the drop in sales from X to XII to was due to changing from the traditional combat system. All of these simple presumptions without understanding the wider context make for silly discussions. It's definitely not how SE approaches their games, nor a reflection of consumer tastes.

Octopath has literally been stated as one of Square Enix's biggest success stories this gen, they're now working on Bravely Default II, another turn based game and have pledged to continue the Octopath series 

https://www.siliconera.com/octopath-producers-looking-to-bring-more-for-bravely-octopath-traveler-and-a-new-series/#rEA3hSJF3CjOLiyo.99

Otter said:
Farsala said:

As I said an action based Final Fantasy didn't align with buyers (type 0, Lightning Returns). Furthermore we could argue that the drop in sales from X to XII to was due to changing from the traditional combat system. All of these simple presumptions without understanding the wider context make for silly discussions. It's definitely not how SE approaches their games, nor a reflection of consumer tastes.

Octopath has literally been stated as one of Square Enix's biggest success stories this gen, they're now working on Bravely Default II, another turn based game and have pledged to continue the Octopath series 

https://www.siliconera.com/octopath-producers-looking-to-bring-more-for-bravely-octopath-traveler-and-a-new-series/#rEA3hSJF3CjOLiyo.99

And yet FFXVI is action based, because FFXV was successful as an action based FF. Anyways, my original post was arguing against a PS/XB FF being turn based due to World of FF sales. I know I didn't say as such, so that's my bad. It is telling that they switched (pun intended) from PS4/XB1 to the Switch with their turn based FF.

I am glad that Octopath was successful, and I hope BDII is as well. I hope for more good news.