By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else felt underwhelmed with the FF XVI reveal?

Not really, I've lost all hope for the FF games many, many years ago.

Around the Network

Ironically, I think the setting is one of the best parts. Maybe a bit too close to The Witcher / Game of Thrones which throws me off, but not too bad. It also reminds me a bit of FF IV in some way, especially in terms of some plot devices (from what it seems).

My big complaint would be, as always, no turn based system; except this time it's even worse as there is not even a full party of characters (or does not seem like it, who knows).

In my opinion, at its best, FF XVI could feel like some sort of throwback to FF IV. At its worst, it could feel like a bad Witcher ripoff, with some Final Fantasy stuff. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but the no turn based system is always a huge negative for me, even if I've almost given up on it.

Farsala said:
Honestly, World of Final Fantasy was SE's attempt at a turn based FF on home console. People didn't buy it, even though the combat was good. People care much more about graphics and plot. If people really only wanted turn based FF, then they would have bought it in droves, but I think it was a commercial failure.

World of Final Fantasy didn't not sell because it was turn based, it didn't sell because it was a chibi, cartoony spin off. If it was called FF 16 it would have sold more. 13 2 and 3 both sold less (not only probably because the game they were based on was not well received by many fans) but because they are spin-offs. FF fans are always clinging to the idea of 'The next will be better' as each entry changes it's magic system, story, graphics, characters etc but that only works with main line titles.

hinch said:

This is a return to high fantasy. The first in a long time in FF outside of FFXIV which was a MMO.

Its actually quite refreshing after all the pseudo cyberpunk and steampunk FF games. Maybe thats just me :P

I like the idea of a more fantasy based theme, the FF14 team will do a good job of that. But I still think we will have some form of technology based in the game, even 14 has technology, even if it's magic based (Magitek). It's one of FFs stables, the idea of fantasy with steampunk like technology spliced in.

Hmm, pie.

Did anyone else think of Vagrant Story when seeing the trailer?

Xxain said:
ARamdomGamer said:

I would whine too given how average the Bravely Default games are.

True.

It could be the best FF ever and they'd still bitch and whine because its not turn based. Soooooo, I assume the opposite is true. As long as its turnbased but avaerage everywhere else, that should be enough to appease them.

In fairness, with the exception of FF II (which is widely considered the "black sheep" of the series, and even it had good ideas), all the turn based FF games have ranged from good to awesome. Can the same really be said about the non turn based games?

There is a reason why FF VI or VII for example often makes it to the "best games of all time" lists while FF XV or XIII probably won't.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:

Legit if the trailer had ended with it being called 'Vagrant Story 2' I doubt anyone would be having this conversation and we'd all be worshipping it. It would be a dream come true for many and the sheer amount of time since the last means people will be a lot more open for combat changes.

A combat system where you target body parts would be so much better as a single player action combat game than FF.

Hmm, pie.

It is also very traditional for the final fantasy fanbase to be divided with almost each game square puts out, FF7 got people being upset because it was not enough like FF6 and etc...
There's always a lot of loud elitism.

The Fury said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Legit if the trailer had ended with it being called 'Vagrant Story 2' I doubt anyone would be having this conversation and we'd all be worshipping it. It would be a dream come true for many and the sheer amount of time since the last means people will be a lot more open for combat changes.

A combat system where you target body parts would be so much better as a single player action combat game than FF.

If the combat even has some hints of the FF7 remake combat or hell a reactive soulslike combat that is more element focussed is also fine for me.

Final fantasy is more about reinventing itself than traditionalism imo, and we have not seen enough to determine how the combat fully is.

Ka-pi96 said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Did see enough ivalice influence and main final fantasy themes to call this a final fantasy.

Hell it even looks more final fantasy than final fantasy games released in the last 15 years.

That's not a good thing...

To me that's the equivalent of saying "there's enough Jar Jar Binks in this to call it a Star Wars movie".

Hey i'm not saying it shows enough Vaan to call it a Final fantasy game,i'm saying it shows us a Final fantasy themed world.

Always enthousiastic about throwing shade at Vaan. :p

Immersiveunreality said:

If the combat even has some hints of the FF7 remake combat or hell a reactive soulslike combat that is more element focussed is also fine for me.

Final fantasy is more about reinventing itself than traditionalism imo, and we have not seen enough to determine how the combat fully is.

Not wanting to get in to that discussion (re-invention vs changing the entire gameplay).

But from what we saw it seemed very DMC/Souls like anyway. Single character, magic and sword combat. If they made it so you could target enemy limbs or weak spots and that was the way to actually win fights, I could see it being a Vagrant Story successor in FF name. 

Hmm, pie.