By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people think the Ps5 costs more to manufacture?!

sales2099 said:

To me anyway the Series X simple form factor will allow cheaper manufacturing where as PS5 goes out of its way to be oddly shaped. And due to said simplicity Series X is naturally better at venting heat where as PS5 will not and the components in each will reflect in price as well. Plus in general I think the Xbox hardware team is on a whole other level then Sony’s. Powerful yet efficient and the team knew exactly what to do with what objectives they were given.

Edit: plus those rumors where Sony was having a hard time getting costs low. And how the main guy said they were going for value over price. 

Have you put much thought into that or is it just a throwaway comment based on preference?

The way I look at it the result of the design decisions made will be reflected in the price these systems launch for (including room for future cuts) and the results they manage to achieve with software. It's a careful balancing act. I'm certainly not willing to definitively choose one strategy/design over the other yet.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

The SSD is the main culprit. The size is actually the same between the two (Sony calculates in Gibibytes while Microsoft used Gigabytes), but Microsoft could use cheaper chips and SSD controllers than Sony for their respective targets. Potentially by a lot considering parts get ordered way in advance. Plus Sony is using more smaller chips, which will definitely cost more than what Microsoft is using.

They are not the same.

Xbox Series X = 1 Terabyte = 1000 Gigabyte = 931 Gibibyte

PS5 = 0.825 Terabyte = 825 Gigabyte = 768 Gibibyte

Xbox Series S = 0.5 Terabyte = 500 Gigabyte = 466 Gibibyte

sales2099 said:

Xbox One X whisper quiet and being a beast compared to the PS4/Pro fan being the closest thing you guys will have to Flight Simulator says otherwise ;)

That has more to do with spending more on cooling and processing than hardware design talent.

It's pretty obvious that the PS5 is cheaper to produce. I'd imagine the difference is at least $50. I know the double motherboard design MS went with can't be cheap.

Really, the only ones I have seen suggest it is more expensive are fans of the other console. Mainly wishful thinking, because if the PS5 DE is $399 and the disk version is $449, Series X doesn't have a prayer.

yvanjean said:
Random_Matt said:

Couldn't say, fluctuates a lot considering the demand and pandemic. But Bloomberg say $450, and Zhuge says XSX is between $460-$520. So yeah, PS5 will not be $499, I say $449 and potentially $399. The digital could then go $299/$349, Sony could potentially make both Xboxes completely redundant.

How stupid do you think Sony is as a company. At $399 for the all digital edition PS5, Sony will not be able to keep up to demand. Why would they hurt their bottom line when at least for this holiday season they will sell out every unit produce. 

The $399 price point is only possible if Sony is taking a loss on every unit sold. I think Sony will eventually go with $450/$499 for PS5-D/PS5. Based on current demand and popularity there simply no need to cut costs. 

Not sure how this helps the thread. Consoles generally launch at a loss with the exception on Nintendo consoles probably. What grounds are there to think sony won't be able to keep up demand or will be making such a heavy loss at $399 that they shouldn't go down the route?!

We won't know what demand is until we start seeing preorders or start seeing narrative changes that heavily favour one or the other. So far it's been back and forward, especially after the series S price reveal along with gamepass ultimate with EA. 

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
sales2099 said:

To me anyway the Series X simple form factor will allow cheaper manufacturing where as PS5 goes out of its way to be oddly shaped. And due to said simplicity Series X is naturally better at venting heat where as PS5 will not and the components in each will reflect in price as well. Plus in general I think the Xbox hardware team is on a whole other level then Sony’s. Powerful yet efficient and the team knew exactly what to do with what objectives they were given.

Edit: plus those rumors where Sony was having a hard time getting costs low. And how the main guy said they were going for value over price. 

Have you put much thought into that or is it just a throwaway comment based on preference?

The way I look at it the result of the design decisions made will be reflected in the price these systems launch for (including room for future cuts) and the results they manage to achieve with software. It's a careful balancing act. I'm certainly not willing to definitively choose one strategy/design over the other yet.

Based on the bold you responded to, yes I firmly believe that. They turned it around since Xbox One S and Xbox One X. They came a long way since RROD and the VCR Xbox One.

The mid gen updates are simply on another level then PS4 Pro, which couldn’t do 4k movies, and made a ton of compromises with resolution and FPS where as Xbox X is a quiet beast compared to the jet engine fan.

With Series X I firmly believe it’s pure function over form and the opposite for Sony. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

RROD and X1 bigger than PS4 while still having external power brick and lower power says otherwise.

Having a lot of curves won`t really impact price much, it is just injected plastic.

Xbox One X whisper quiet and being a beast compared to the PS4/Pro fan being the closest thing you guys will have to Flight Simulator says otherwise ;)

Launching a year later and with a bigger chip covers the power difference, PS4Pro could have it if Sony wanted, but they wanted to launch in a year and price that Pro as design made more sense. And for the cooling yep better and more costlier nothing to do with MS team being on a different level. But sure being you, you would chose the single console you could to brag, since X1 was a laughing stock and X1S or X1SAD didn't made leap forward.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:
Dallinor said:

Based on the bold you responded to, yes I firmly believe that. They turned it around since Xbox One S and Xbox One X. They came a long way since RROD and the VCR Xbox One.

The mid gen updates are simply on another level then PS4 Pro, which couldn’t do 4k movies, and made a ton of compromises with resolution and FPS where as Xbox X is a quiet beast compared to the jet engine fan.

With Series X I firmly believe it’s pure function over form and the opposite for Sony. 

PS4Pro do 4k movies, what you wanted to say is doesn't reproduce 4k BDs. Guess you will say since X1S had 4k BD playback then PS4Pro was more in competition with X1S than X1X right? I keep thinking how shameless Phil Spencer was when saying that PS4Pro was competing with X1S and not X1X as if the 3x power difference between X1S and PS4Pro was smaller than the 0.5x difference between Pro and X1X.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DragonRouge said:
sales2099 said:

That has more to do with spending more on cooling and processing than hardware design talent.

Not exactly. - It was clear that was a hardware design goal of the original Xbox One. - To be a hands-free "Home Theater" device... And the hardware was built around that concept in mind.

The cooling in the Original VCR Xbox One was over-engineered... And the size of the device in terms of volume took advantage of that, it was a big box.

The Xbox One X on the other-hand is definitely a solid piece of engineering and the Series X takes that same concept and runs with it a little further, Microsoft has been going big on efficient cooling since the Xbox One.

But not just efficient cooling, quiet cooling... Microsoft is avoiding the use of small, high-RPM fans to cool their consoles.

Engineering wise, I think both companies have proven to be fantastic...
So yes, whilst Microsoft had their RROD debacle...
Sony had the exploding batteries debacle.
Sony had the YLOD debacle.
The PS1 disc drive issues were common as well.

Shit happens... Microsoft and Sony learn from it though and we all benefit.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
DragonRouge said:

Not exactly. - It was clear that was a hardware design goal of the original Xbox One. - To be a hands-free "Home Theater" device... And the hardware was built around that concept in mind.

The cooling in the Original VCR Xbox One was over-engineered... And the size of the device in terms of volume took advantage of that, it was a big box.

The Xbox One X on the other-hand is definitely a solid piece of engineering and the Series X takes that same concept and runs with it a little further, Microsoft has been going big on efficient cooling since the Xbox One.

But not just efficient cooling, quiet cooling... Microsoft is avoiding the use of small, high-RPM fans to cool their consoles.

Engineering wise, I think both companies have proven to be fantastic...
So yes, whilst Microsoft had their RROD debacle...
Sony had the exploding batteries debacle.
Sony had the YLOD debacle.
The PS1 disc drive issues were common as well.

Shit happens... Microsoft and Sony learn from it though and we all benefit.

How can you say X1 had a efficient cooling if they needed a case that was bigger than PS4, while weaker and having the brick outside of it? Being quieter isn`t the same as being more efficient. As I`m pretty sure efficency is measured in other means, either power consumption versus output (like a GPU) or power versus cost, etc.