By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series S design leaked, Confirmed at $300 this Holiday (Series X = $500)

eva01beserk said:

Overpriced. $250 with at least 3 months of ultimate. But I sugest more. 

It's one of the cheaper consoles.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Agreed on the price. $300 is too much for a diskless 4 TFLOP machine. It better at least run games at $1440p 60 FPS! The 3080 will drop in a couple weeks, and set the bar for graphics so high that this thing will be regarded as ultra low end in a year's time. Both Series X and PS5 will be regarded as mid tier a year from today.

It also comes with a fairly expensive SSD, CPU.  

I've always personally thought the XSS is a terrible idea, because cutting down the GPU so much doesn't save them enough money to put the console at a price that makes any sense.  You're getting 1/3rd the GPU of the XSX, and that isn't enough to save $200, which is pretty much the minimum price difference to make any kind of sense.

Around the Network

Price, if final, is good.
Size is also good.

Design is horrible.

Seems like this could've been shown at TGS event.

the-pi-guy said:
eva01beserk said:

It's one of the cheaper consoles.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Agreed on the price. $300 is too much for a diskless 4 TFLOP machine. It better at least run games at $1440p 60 FPS! The 3080 will drop in a couple weeks, and set the bar for graphics so high that this thing will be regarded as ultra low end in a year's time. Both Series X and PS5 will be regarded as mid tier a year from today.

It also comes with a fairly expensive SSD, CPU.  

I've always personally thought the XSS is a terrible idea, because cutting down the GPU so much doesn't save them enough money to put the console at a price that makes any sense.  You're getting 1/3rd the GPU of the XSX, and that isn't enough to save $200, which is pretty much the minimum price difference to make any kind of sense.

Wait so it has the same CPU as the Series X, paired up with a weak GPU? This thing better come with  3-6 months of Gamepass Ultimate!

eva01beserk said:
shikamaru317 said:

I don't think that $300 is too high for a console that can play all next-gen games at 1080p. To put it into perspective, Nintendo is currently charging $300 for Switch, a console that plays current gen games at about 720p when docked, Series S is designed to play next-gen games at 1080p with graphics setting parity with Series X and PS5. 

It only becomes too high if digital PS5 actually is $400, and I've always been somewhat dubious that Sony is willing to take a loss to hit that price. The bill of materials on PS5 is reportedly in the high $400's range with Sony needing to sell at $500 to break even after the shipping costs and retailer cut. $450 digital seems far more likely than $400 currently, and that gives Series S a $150 price advantage. 

Thats the thing, the switch is also over priced, the the switch has a leg up wich is the vast nintendo catalog that can only be accesed by a nintendo console. Another huge thing, its a freeking portable. Not even close in comparison. 

I already mentoned in my other reply, but no. regardles of the full power consoles this will be obsolete as soon as xcloud come out. Because at least the series x will have higher reslolution and other visual effects that wont be possible on streaming. The series s will aim for a little above the xcloud offered on you phone. 

Series S is for people who aren't interested in cloud gaming. The casuals, the kind of people who play games like Fortnite, CoD, FIFA, Madden, and NBA 2K primarily. Those people just want a cheap console that can play the latest games in their respective series. 

eva01beserk said:
jason1637 said:

1080p next gen gaming with upwards of 120fps for $300. Thats a great entry price to next gen.

Its still a next gen console with rdna, rat tracing,  and an ssd. 300 is not overpriced. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

Wait so it has the same CPU as the Series X, paired up with a weak GPU? This thing better come with  3-6 months of Gamepass Ultimate!

Same CPU, less RAM, GPU on the scale of XOX + new features like ray tracing.

It's a very clear step up from Xbox One X.

I was gonna say it's a shame this first got shown off from a leaked image instead of a reveal video but it seems video is leaking as well. At this point they should really officially reveal it this week even if they planned to later, preferably within the next couple days. This is what happens when you wait till September to reveal a console launching in November. Mainly I'm just glad to finally see it. For the system itself I certainly prefer that fan made white cube design that was going around. I don't know why both Sony and Microsoft are doing this ugly looking mix of white and black when all white or all black would look far better. At least the Series X isn't a mix. If it does turn out to be 299 then it could end up selling quite well to lower income brackets so launch sales are gonna be quite interesting to see.

Jokes aside, if the price is accurate, this is a good move by MS to give budget gamers a more accessible entry point to next gen gaming.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

the-pi-guy said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Same CPU, less RAM, GPU on the scale of XOX + new features like ray tracing.

It's a very clear step up from Xbox One X.

Well yes, of course it's a step up from XB1X. Should be about 1.5 times the performance of XB1X, with some light Ray Tracing, and SSD to boot. Sorry, I was going to say that in my previous post, but wound up deleting it. I had a giant Wii VS XBSS comparison paragraph that I scrapped, once I realized the XBSS was a much larger step up from XB1X, than Wii was from GC.

P.S. I'm getting Wii vibes from the design. Not the graphics, but the tiny white box design for sure.

eva01beserk said:
jason1637 said:

1080p next gen gaming with upwards of 120fps for $300. Thats a great entry price to next gen.

So 199 without a controller for a console that will play a lot of current games in 4k and play next gen titles in 1080 with Ray tracing? 

Unrealistic and completely unreasonable.