By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series S design leaked, Confirmed at $300 this Holiday (Series X = $500)

Good prices, better if the next gen software line up was a must have at launch.... but its not.
$299 allows them to compete with Nintendo and Sony, current gen and next gen.
Sony wont worry about XSS, simply because their PS5 wont be spec that low, their only option would be to undercut the XSS with the PS4 Pro. Nintendo have more to worry about at $299 XSS than Sony does.
$499 PS5 still mops the floor with $499 XSX tho.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Fans have already made the design better. How did MS not think of this?

That makes a huge improvement.
It seems like such a simple solution too.

299$ is a incredible price.
However at that price your giveing up 4k (limiting yourself to 1080p for most games).

For just 100$ more, a PS5 digital gives you the full experiance of next gen.
I know, its all just rumored prices.

Would you pay 100$ more (33% increase) for 257% performance?
(4tf vs 10,3tf)

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 08 September 2020

shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:

That makes a huge improvement.
It seems like such a simple solution too.

299$ is a incredible price.
However at that price your giveing up 4k (limiting yourself to 1080p for most games).

For just 100$ more, a PS5 digital gives you the full experiance of next gen.
I know, its all just rumored prices.

Would you pay 100$ more (33% increase) for 257% performance?
(4tf vs 10,3tf)

Yeah, it definitely makes a big difference on the design. Too late to change it before launch, but I hope they add it on next years models.

157% GPU improvement, not 257%. Also worth noting that PS5 isn’t 10.3 tflop all the time due to its variable clock rate, can potentially fall below that. And of course, we still don’t know that Sony will be able to hit $400 on digital PS5, it might land at $450.

Just noticed that Jeff Grubb said that MS is selling at a loss at $500 on Series X. If Series X is a loss at $500, then disc drive PS5 may be a loss at $500 as well, which makes $400 for digital PS5 even more unlikely.

And of course, even if Sony does hit $400 on digital PS5 and Series S doesn’t sell as well as MS wanted as a result, they can always drop it to $250 early next year to boost it’s sales.

you can say 157% "more" or "additional", but if your doing totals its 257%.

10,3 divided by 4 = 2,575 = 257,5%.

"Also worth noting that PS5 isn’t 10.3 tflop all the time due to its variable clock rate, can potentially fall below that."
Yes but cerny said they planned for the variable clock rate to only drop like 2-5%. So while its true, its not always 10,3 Tflops, its always pretty close to that. People are basically makeing a mountain out of a molehill about the variable clock rates.

"then disc drive PS5 may be a loss at $500 as well, which makes $400 for digital PS5 even more unlikely."

Sony will eat a loss at 400$ on selling the digitial version, but make it back with game sales.
Microsoft is probably eating a small loss at 299$ for the xbox series S too.
However higher returns on digital sales, will make up for it, in the long run.

"And of course, even if Sony does hit $400 on digital PS5 and Series S doesn’t sell as well as MS wanted as a result, they can always drop it to $250 early next year to boost it’s sales."

Yep, depends on how much each are willing to lose on each unit sale.

CGI-Quality said:

📣

The price is still just a rumor (according to Zhuge). Title changed to reflect.

4-5 hours lateron.... and its Offical.

shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:

you can say 157% "more" or "additional", but if your doing totals its 257%.

10,3 divided by 4 = 2,575 = 257,5%.

"Also worth noting that PS5 isn’t 10.3 tflop all the time due to its variable clock rate, can potentially fall below that."
Yes but cerny said they planned for the variable clock rate to only drop like 2-5%. So while its true, its not always 10,3 Tflops, its always pretty close to that. People are basically makeing a mountain out of a molehill about the variable clock rates.

"then disc drive PS5 may be a loss at $500 as well, which makes $400 for digital PS5 even more unlikely."

Sony will eat a loss at 400$ on selling the digitial version, but make it back with game sales.
Microsoft is probably eating a small loss at 299$ for the xbox series S too.
However higher returns on digital sales, will make up for it, in the long run.

"And of course, even if Sony does hit $400 on digital PS5 and Series S doesn’t sell as well as MS wanted as a result, they can always drop it to $250 early next year to boost it’s sales."

Yep, depends on how much each are willing to lose on each unit sale.

That’s not how percentages work though. You’re thinking of multiples. PS5 has 2.5x more GPU power. Percentages would be:

Series S = 4 tflop

50% more powerful = 6 tflop

100% more powerful = 8 tflop 

157% more powerful = 10.3 tflop

You get a cookie for being right.
Now carefully read my text again:

"Would you pay 100$ more (33% increase) for 257% performance?"

Where do you see "more" in my text (when mentioning performance)?
The only "more" in my text, was in the price reguards.

Basically your argueing over nothing.
Because I didnt formulate it as "more powerfull", but instead as a whole of the systems (where writeing 257% is correct).

Basically you are argueing over this:
4tf + 157% of 4TF (6,3) = 10,3
While Im saying:
4tf x 2,57 = 10,3

Both are true, its just a matter of wording.
Also I did use the right way. You probably miss read it at first, and wanted to correct me.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 08 September 2020

Around the Network

Looks like a speaker

PS5 is going to have a fight on its hands with that pricing the XSS is only £250 here in the UK, 1080p/60fps will still be good enough for most people at that pricing and I'm hearing the $500 price for the XSX is sold at a loss which makes it less likely any PS5 model comes close to that price. MS' are clearly banking more on the S to get units in people's homes and the crowd who power FIFA, COD and so on will be fine with any shortcomings it has at that price.

melbye said:
Looks like a speaker

A subwoofer.... probably why it looks better with the xbox logo placed there in the photoshopped fan made pics.

512gb SSD Drive seems low for an all digital console.

Now all the pressure to Sony to tell the truth, I do expect $399/499 since BOM for disc drive seems to be around $450.

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 08 September 2020

eva01beserk said:
How Are people saying $300 is a good price? Thats crazy high for what it offers. People are expecting a $400 ps5 digital. If thats the case this console is ridiculous overpriced. The only way I see this as a good price is if the ps5 digital is $500 and the seiries x and regular ps5 are $600, wich I very much doubt that would be the case.

It’s a good price. Xcloud/Game Pass and lower res multiplats

Ultimately it plays the same games as PS for cheaper l if you don’t care for specs. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.