By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series S design leaked, Confirmed at $300 this Holiday (Series X = $500)

$300 is a fantastic price, god damn

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
The pricing strategy is brilliant, kudos! But they need to follow up with great exclusives to further the incentive to purchase an Xbox, even at low prices the Xbox One in various SKU's has had a hard time shifting units. The brand itself has lost traction this gen, they need to regain it. In the end, a closer race benefits all of us as consumers. I think I'd take it one step further to cash in on their expertise and pedigree in online gaming and offer packages with included 3-6 or even 12-month subs to Live Gold. Longterm this would be a small price to pay for gaining more customers and keeping them on those subs and buying software through the generation. In addition, they need to show that they're serious about SP games as well, that's where the PS brand has its greatest advantage in terms of software today.

This is it. Im actually tempted by the $35 per month Xbox All Access subscription, but at this moment there is just nothing exclusive i care for bar Halo that actually has release date in sight

I think this will be good as a second console for PS only people like myself. It's a cheap way to play stuff like Gears and Fable. Bit this will all depend on how well the next gen games perform. If they take a massive hit, a Ps5 digital might be better if it's only 50 odd quid more. Here is to hoping.

the price is killing it.

1440p upscaled to 4k should be enough for most people.
299€ / 249 GBP is a steal.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

twintail said:

I think this really depends on how much the DE PS5 ends up being. If it hits £300, I don't think the lower price will help the XSS much. PS still has greater mindshare, they'll be marketing stuff like CoD, PS5 will be more powerful, and of course many ppl are already well embedded in the PS (and of course XB) eco-systems. 

Of course, being cheaper is always an advantage, but I think it remains to be seen how important that is going to be. Will definitely be interesting to see. 

The XSX is said to be sold at a loss which means that PS5 at around a similar price would be sold at a loss so the chance of the DE being £300 is very slim as that would require a large loss per unit sold it'd be a hard enough task for it target £350 as not only does removing disc drive not reduce the cost by much it has an expensive SSD in it. Mind share and such are things that shift on the fly PS had it back with the PS2 it still didn't stop the 360 giving the PS3 all sorts of problems fact is very few people are embedded into any platform the majority go with where ever the tide is flowing, affordability was one of the major factors back with the 360 as well.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
the price is killing it.

upto 1440p / and upto 120fps.

Just like the Xbox series X, can do upto 8k (doesnt mean all games will run 8k on it, most of them wont).

The vast majority of (next gen) games on the Xbox Series S, will be 1080p or below, and 60fps or below.
Its a entry point to next gen gameing.

Something like Ori and the blind forrest / battletoads will probably be 1440p on the S.
However if you run the next gears it will likely be 900-1080p on the S.

JRPGfan said:
DirtyP2002 said:
the price is killing it.

upto 1440p / and upto 120fps.

Just like the Xbox series X, can do upto 8k (doesnt mean all games will run 8k on it, most of them wont).

The vast majority of (next gen) games on the Xbox Series S, will be 1080p or below, and 60fps or below.
Its a entry point to next gen gameing.

Something like Ori and the blind forrest / battletoads will probably be 1440p on the S.
However if you run the next gears it will likely be 900-1080p on the S.

Not really. MS made it sound like 1080p and 6x FPS is going to be the minimum for this machine, which is perfectly possible. I don't think they are going to go back to sub 1080p land. 

I mean, most people and gamers don't own 4K displays, so why would they want anything over 1080p? I honestly think the Series S is going to be the one that sells a ton, with the Series X being there for any needing "gamer speed". 

So its true. And $300 price is insane. Going full competitive here, also SX is going to be $499 from the same guy.

The 500GB SSD puts a dampener on things. Since is its all digital people will be wanting that extra SSD expansion sooner rather than later. I think the SX is a steal tbh, this sku does look okay though for those who can't fork out the extra monies and don't have a 4K TV.

hinch said:

So its true. And $300 price is insane. Going full competitive here, also SX is going to be $499 from the same guy.

The 500GB SSD puts a dampener on things. Since is its all digital people will be wanting that extra SSD expansion sooner rather than later. I think the SX is a steal tbh, this sku does look okay though for those who can't fork out the extra monies and don't have a 4K TV.

Or the space premium. I will be honest here, I'm looking to get the S over the X now. I was already more interested in a smaller 1080p console because I simply have no use for the enhanced resolution when all my TVs are 1080p. Better that with high frame rates than 4K with lower ones. 

I think I'm definitely getting this one. 

Also, the official Xbox account did Tweet an update, so either they are trolling us or it's official (like for real) now. Also, they might still come up with a controller-less SKU. We can't say anything for certain right now. 

DirtyP2002 said:
the price is killing it.

I wouldn't put too much weight in this. This is what the GPU is capable off, how developers actually use when they have a technically demanding game is another thing. Im curious what the upscalling technique is.