By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Cyberpunk 2077 live up to expectations?

Will Cyberpunk 2077 meet expectations?

It'll be even better than expected. 1 2.50%

It will meet expectations. 10 25.00%

It'll be a great game, bu... 23 57.50%

It'll be a decent game, b... 6 15.00%

It's probably gonna suck. 0 0%

Total:40

Yes and no, people tend to have unrealistic expectations so there will mostly be complaints for every release in some form.

This game does not cater fully to the witcher crowd and it does not to the first person shooter crowd , it does try to do its own thing and find its own market but it will get mistakenly bought by consumers that think it is something it's not.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

2) Roughly 300 million hardware units are sold during a healthy generation. Let's say there are 300 million people that play consoles/PC every year (even though many devices have multiple players). Of those 300 million people, if even just 1% refused to buy games due to inappropriate content that they can't filter (and I'm fairly confident that percentage is higher), that's 3,000,000 gamers that would suddenly buy games if those filters could be applied. Certainly, we can all agree, that sales boosting by 10,000 is significant for studios, let alone up to and probably well beyond 3,000,000. That is not dozens lol.

If there were anywhere close to 3mm sales on the line, devs would be doing this.  The fact that they aren't offering these options is pretty strong evidence that there aren't anywhere near that many sales to gain by doing so.   Many of these companies (especially publishers) are mega-businesses that spend tons of money determining what the market wants.  They certainly know a lot more accurately than we do whether or not the ability to remove graphic content from games is likely to bring in enough sales to makeup for the cost of creating such options.  

VAMatt said:
Dulfite said:

2) Roughly 300 million hardware units are sold during a healthy generation. Let's say there are 300 million people that play consoles/PC every year (even though many devices have multiple players). Of those 300 million people, if even just 1% refused to buy games due to inappropriate content that they can't filter (and I'm fairly confident that percentage is higher), that's 3,000,000 gamers that would suddenly buy games if those filters could be applied. Certainly, we can all agree, that sales boosting by 10,000 is significant for studios, let alone up to and probably well beyond 3,000,000. That is not dozens lol.

If there were anywhere close to 3mm sales on the line, devs would be doing this.  The fact that they aren't offering these options is pretty strong evidence that there aren't anywhere near that many sales to gain by doing so.   Many of these companies (especially publishers) are mega-businesses that spend tons of money determining what the market wants.  They certainly know a lot more accurately than we do whether or not the ability to remove graphic content from games is likely to bring in enough sales to makeup for the cost of creating such options.  

But companies can be wrong. They could be assuming it incorrectly. Or maybe they don't want to tick off their devs for ruining the "art" of their work, as many other forms of artists get mad about censorship. There could be a number of excuses as to why they don't do it, but case studies should be the only thing deciding it. Why not just build that censorship option into it, ship it, and see how it sells on one game? If sales increase, great! If they don't, then they can either not do it in the future or continue to do it knowing fans like options of how they engage media and every company wants good PR. I don't see the downside to companies expanding the accessibility of their products to a market with a wide range of views.

Dulfite said:
VAMatt said:

But companies can be wrong. They could be assuming it incorrectly. Or maybe they don't want to tick off their devs for ruining the "art" of their work, as many other forms of artists get mad about censorship. There could be a number of excuses as to why they don't do it, but case studies should be the only thing deciding it. Why not just build that censorship option into it, ship it, and see how it sells on one game? If sales increase, great! If they don't, then they can either not do it in the future or continue to do it knowing fans like options of how they engage media and every company wants good PR. I don't see the downside to companies expanding the accessibility of their products to a market with a wide range of views.

You can always be chasing some extra small percentage of the population that might buy your game if you do X. Maybe they'll buy my game if I bleep out the bad words. Maybe they'll buy my game if I turn off blood. Maybe they'll buy my game if I hide all the nipples. Maybe they'll buy my game if the guns are all water pistols, instead of real guns. Maybe they'll buy my game if I have a filter that makes all the people of color white, or vice versa. Maybe they'll buy my game if I include an option to switch around the pronouns everyone uses when addressing various characters.....and on and on it goes.

Or they can just make their game, the way they wanna make it, that they're happy with, and live with the consequences if somebody decides that this isn't for them.

Dulfite said:
VAMatt said:

Whether you agree or not the people making Cyber Punk 2077 believes showing nudity is a essential part of the world building and getting the emotional impact to tell a story in the Cyber Punk universe therefore I think it very unlikely you get an official option for censoring nudity completely.  

This a quote from Adam Badowski on why nudity will be part of the game.

“Nudity is important for us because of one reason,” Badowski said. “This is cyberpunk, so people augment their body. So the body is no longer sacrum [sacred]; it’s profanum [profane]. Because people modify everything, they are losing their connection to the body, to the meat. And that’s why we need to use the nudity in many situations.

“You see that there are bodies in the tub, and you need to take care of this woman. But at the same time she is augmented,” he continued, searching for the right words. “She is not clean. Maybe she is augmented too much. Maybe the humanity level is pretty low in her, so it’s an interesting topic. It’s one of the key themes in cyberpunk. The very first scenes in the original Ghost in the Shell anime show exactly the same aspect. Because where is sacrum and where is profanum in a world when you can simply modify yourself to such limits that it makes you a different kind of person? It’s one of the most important themes in cyberpunk, as a genre.”

Quote take from a article back in 2018 https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/15/17468232/cyberpunk-2077-nudity-transhumanism

Around the Network

i think people over-hyped it too much
hence the overkill hype that will happen...
its not going to be groundbreaking but it will still be a decent game! nonetheless

Dulfite said:
VAMatt said:

The point is that the industry is much, much less likely to be wrong than you or I.  They spend massive resources to answer questions like this.  You and I just speculate on VGC.  The fact that things like this (turning blood off or on in MK is the most prominent example) have existed before, but generally do not exist at this point is good evidence that the industry has determined that the costs of implementation of such options outweigh the benefits (if any).  

I have zero expectations, so they will likely go far beyond mine TBH.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

It depends on your own personal expectations.... Don't get caught up in hype people it never pays off for you... Take a breath, you're a bit older now.... Don't run - walk... Don't write stupid fucking metascores after you play for an hour.... Make up your own mind....

I have faith in CDPR to produce another outstanding game. Based on the trailers so far, I think CDPR is going to nail Cyberpunk 2077.