By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Attitudes 100 years since women's suffrage

Dulfite said:

You said stuff before starting 1. So I'll respond to each thought in order:

1) My original response wasn't written to tick you off, but simply point out how some of the language you used could be interpreted as sexist. That wasn't mean shouting at you, or calling you a sexist for the rest of your life. I was simply pointing out something I thought would be helpful for you to see, another perspective. If you don't want to change your OP language that is fine and your right.

2) I never said women murder babies for the fun of it. Women are extremely stressed before, during, and especially after the procedure. Nothing about it is fun and I never suggested women enjoy it, so please don't slander me.

3) Regarding giggling, that isn't subjective. Babies giggle in the womb, and hiccup, and jump and do all sorts of other fun things. They are figuring out life in there and all the fun little things they can do. And sadly, despite all those wonderful indications that they are human, the needle still comes.

4) Regarding the 42% that are conservative feminists... But what does that mean? My wife is a 1/2nd wave feminist, but not a 3rd wave feminist. She hates abortion as much as I do. So again, what do those 42% even mean? I read a poll recently that indicated men are, by a majority, supportive of abortion. That same poll indicated women, by a majority, aren't supportive of abortion rights. Does that mean the majority of women aren't feminists simply because they don't adhere to 3rd wave ideology? Feminism is an unclear term in today's society as to what it means.

5) I never claimed to have evidence that this site was left leaning. It's just the feel I get when reading and making posts. I could absolutely be wrong here, but it is my opinion nonetheless. And Super Court Justices aren't the best proof of a sites political leaning. The electorate are usually okay with whoever a SC nominee is, as they aren't as politically charged as Congress or Executive members. That hearing was about personal stuff, and hardly about political issues or prior court cases, so people had to make a gut decision about who to believe. One side had no witnesses or evidence. It's innocent until proven guilty here, thankfully.

6) I won't pretend to know anything about waves of feminism in other countries. I speak purely on an American perspective.

Alright, I think I'm up to finishing my response to this post now. What follows should be seen as a direct continuation of my first reply thereto before.

5) It's remarkable to me that you view sexual violence as just "personal stuff" rather than as a crime. You also talk like Brett Kavanaugh was on trial for his life or something and thus deserved a presumption of innocence. In reality, the alternative to his confirmation was for Mr. Kavanaugh to retire to a life of luxury unimaginable to you and I, crying all the way to his mansion with only his family, friends, servants, and the entire Republican Party for comfort. Cry me a river.

No, when you're simply seeking a promotion like that to a lifetime post, you don't deserve such presumptions of innocence, you deserve the chance to clear your name beyond reasonable doubt, and he failed to in my book. (What Mr. Kavanaugh proved to me in his testimony was that he could barely control his faculties while sober, let alone drunk.) I was personally against giving someone who was realistically a sexual criminal the power to help shape what rights and protections the women of this country will and will not have going forward. So were the vast majority of Americans. So were NOT the vast majority of VGC users, in contrast.

I guess that's all I had to add to point 5. Just couldn't resist commenting on the Brett Kavanaugh case.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 08 September 2020

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
Dulfite said:

You said stuff before starting 1. So I'll respond to each thought in order:

1) My original response wasn't written to tick you off, but simply point out how some of the language you used could be interpreted as sexist. That wasn't mean shouting at you, or calling you a sexist for the rest of your life. I was simply pointing out something I thought would be helpful for you to see, another perspective. If you don't want to change your OP language that is fine and your right.

2) I never said women murder babies for the fun of it. Women are extremely stressed before, during, and especially after the procedure. Nothing about it is fun and I never suggested women enjoy it, so please don't slander me.

3) Regarding giggling, that isn't subjective. Babies giggle in the womb, and hiccup, and jump and do all sorts of other fun things. They are figuring out life in there and all the fun little things they can do. And sadly, despite all those wonderful indications that they are human, the needle still comes.

4) Regarding the 42% that are conservative feminists... But what does that mean? My wife is a 1/2nd wave feminist, but not a 3rd wave feminist. She hates abortion as much as I do. So again, what do those 42% even mean? I read a poll recently that indicated men are, by a majority, supportive of abortion. That same poll indicated women, by a majority, aren't supportive of abortion rights. Does that mean the majority of women aren't feminists simply because they don't adhere to 3rd wave ideology? Feminism is an unclear term in today's society as to what it means.

5) I never claimed to have evidence that this site was left leaning. It's just the feel I get when reading and making posts. I could absolutely be wrong here, but it is my opinion nonetheless. And Super Court Justices aren't the best proof of a sites political leaning. The electorate are usually okay with whoever a SC nominee is, as they aren't as politically charged as Congress or Executive members. That hearing was about personal stuff, and hardly about political issues or prior court cases, so people had to make a gut decision about who to believe. One side had no witnesses or evidence. It's innocent until proven guilty here, thankfully.

6) I won't pretend to know anything about waves of feminism in other countries. I speak purely on an American perspective.

Alright, I think I'm up to finishing my response to this post now. What follows should be seen as a direct continuation of my first reply thereto before.

5) It's remarkable to me that you view sexual violence as just "personal stuff" rather than as a crime. You also talk like Brett Kavanaugh was on trial for his life or something and thus deserved a presumption of innocence. In reality, the alternative to his confirmation was for Mr. Kavanaugh to retire to a life of luxury unimaginable to you and I, crying all the way to his mansion with only his family, friends, servants, and the entire Republican Party for comfort. Cry me a river.

No, when you're simply seeking a promotion like that to a lifetime post, you don't deserve such presumptions of innocence, you deserve the chance to clear your name beyond reasonable doubt, and he failed to in my book. (What Mr. Kavanaugh proved to me in his testimony was that he could barely control his faculties while sober, let alone drunk.) I was personally against giving someone who was realistically a sexual criminal the power to help shape what rights and protections the women of this country will and will not have going forward. So were the vast majority of Americans. So were NOT the vast majority of VGC users, in contrast.

I guess that's all I had to add to point 5. Just couldn't resist commenting on the Brett Kavanaugh case.

Unless there is evidence that proves otherwise, it is personal stuff. His personal opinion vs. her personal opinion. If legal evidence had been brought forward, that would be different. And yeah, he could have just walked away and probably had a lot less stressful life, but why should he? He was clearly qualified for the position, as are the vast majority of candidates that are nominated by Presidents (regardless of ideology). So why should he give up the honor of the office, something he and many others on the court or aspiring to be work their entire careers towards, because someone accused him of something but couldn't prove it? Is that fair to him or anyone else seeking that office to lose everything they've worked towards when someone accuses them of something done decades ago but can't prove it?

Also, whose to say there wouldn't be some other person waiting to accuse the next nominee? And then the next?

As to needing to clear his name absolutely, first of all I'm not sure what else the man could do than provide his calendar with hand written notes from decades ago and his own witnesses. Like, what else did you want from him? I'm sure if he had anything else to offer he would have, just like she would have offered more if she had anything on him. We were given the details that we were given, and we all have to make a choice on that. If you feel that nominees require perfect records with evidence showing no foul play, that is fine and your right to demand that. I'm curious what you would think if a Democratic nominee had something like this happen.

And for the record, if ever there WAS evidence showing he lied and did those terrible things to her, I would ABSOLUTELY want him to resign and face whatever legal consequences.

Signalstar said:
I still can't believe that Hillary Clinton, a white woman, lost the white women vote four years ago- to Trump of all people.

Now I don't believe that people should vote for someone just because they are part of the same demographic but I still can't believe that women did not want to see another woman ascend to the highest office in the land.

100 years after the passage of the 19th amendment maybe we can elect a female vice president.

I just can't believe so many Women for Trump overlooked his blatant misogyny and voted against their own interests. There were women who held up signs saying "Trump Can Grab My Pussy Whenever He Wants".

Human beings can be so irrational.

Deleted dumb comment.

Last edited by RJTM1991 - on 16 December 2023

RJTM1991 said:
Signalstar said:
I still can't believe that Hillary Clinton, a white woman, lost the white women vote four years ago- to Trump of all people.

Now I don't believe that people should vote for someone just because they are part of the same demographic but I still can't believe that women did not want to see another woman ascend to the highest office in the land.

100 years after the passage of the 19th amendment maybe we can elect a female vice president.

I just can't believe so many Women for Trump overlooked his blatant misogyny and voted against their own interests. There were women who held up signs saying "Trump Can Grab My Pussy Whenever He Wants".

Human beings can be so irrational.

Maybe because it was Hillary Clinton. You know, the woman who bleeds spiders and nightmares? The woman married to a rapist who openly laughed at his accusers? 

Why are you being kind? Hillary Clinton is obviously a ghoul and the most disgusting, vile, demonic creature on the planet. She does not even count as human. /sarcasm

When people bring up accusations against Bill Clinton in order to smear Hillary Clinton by association, do they at least acknowledge that Trump has been accused of equally horrible abuses? Like is voting directly for an accused rapist better than voting for the wife of an accused rapist?

Please feel free not to respond. I do not expect intelligent, persuasive, or even coherent responses from such a debased prompt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
RJTM1991 said:

Maybe because it was Hillary Clinton. You know, the woman who bleeds spiders and nightmares? The woman married to a rapist who openly laughed at his accusers? 

Why are you being kind? Hillary Clinton is obviously a ghoul and the most disgusting, vile, demonic creature on the planet. She does not even count as human. /sarcasm

When people bring up accusations against Bill Clinton in order to smear Hillary Clinton by association, do they at least acknowledge that Trump has been accused of equally horrible abuses? Like is voting directly for an accused rapist better than voting for the wife of an accused rapist?

Please feel free not to respond. I do not expect intelligent, persuasive, or even coherent responses from such a debased prompt.

Deleted comment.

Getting older and looking over old arguments/troll posts makes me realize just how stupid I was.

Around the Network
RJTM1991 said:
Signalstar said:

B-b-but Trump!

Clinton is a known scumbag and paedophile. Trump was accused, but nothing happened. Can't compare them.

Women voted against Hillary because women aren't idiots who let other people make up their minds. They know she's trash. They made sure to let the world know that Hillary Clinton doesn't represent American women.

About the quality of post I expected.

Hillary Clinton has not been accused of raping anyone. Donald Trump has been accused of raping and sexually assaulting multiple women.

Hillary Clinton won the women vote in 2016. She did not win the white women vote. She won the popular vote overall.

Signalstar said:
RJTM1991 said:

B-b-but Trump!

Clinton is a known scumbag and paedophile. Trump was accused, but nothing happened. Can't compare them.

Women voted against Hillary because women aren't idiots who let other people make up their minds. They know she's trash. They made sure to let the world know that Hillary Clinton doesn't represent American women.

Hillary Clinton has not been accused of raping anyone. Donald Trump has been accused of raping and sexually assaulting multiple women.

Hillary Clinton won the women vote in 2016. She did not win the white women vote. She won the popular vote overall.

Deleted comment.

Ever looked back at your old comments and regretted everything?

RJTM1991 said:
Signalstar said:

Love how I took a jab at the Clintons and you automatically assumed that I was a Trump guy. Man, I'm not even American. Just calling bullshit when I see it.

So you can act all snooty, but your childishness still shines through. 

I never insinuated you were a Trump guy. I am just trying to point out a flaw in your logic. You claim that people did not vote for/support Hillary Clinton because of accusations of rape against her husband. If that is true then accusations of rape must make Trump equally repulsive to that segment of voters. If Hillary Clinton faced an opponent that did not have similar rape accusations against them, maybe your theory would have merit. There was no control group however. Claiming that accusations of rape are a turn off that led to her defeat is hard to prove when her victorious opponent was also directly accused of rape.

I do not think I am the one acting childish here. Facts are stubborn things.

As far as I can tell, there was a big shift in attitude from equality as the goal to equity as the goal.
To me, those two concepts seem largly opposed and mutually exclusive. I'm all for equality, so I'm all against equity and quite dissatisfied with the state if things.

JuliusHackebeil said:
As far as I can tell, there was a big shift in attitude from equality as the goal to equity as the goal.
To me, those two concepts seem largly opposed and mutually exclusive. I'm all for equality, so I'm all against equity and quite dissatisfied with the state if things.

Bingo.

Recently, there's been started a movement to end "blind auditions" in hiring for orchestral groups. Blind auditions were started with the goal of removing discrimination from the hiring process, to provide equal access for individuals without respect to their race, color, creed, etc.

However, apparently it is the case that when blind auditions are employed, you cannot ensure "equity": you cannot ensure that you'll wind up with a certain percentage of, say, black orchestra members... because you aren't taking race into account in the hiring practice at all.

And so, the Woke wish to add discrimination back into the hiring process (so long as the beneficiaries are minorities, and the ones discriminated against are male, white, etc.). They call it "justice."