By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Satire song during COVID19? Is this song funny or too depressing?

Is this song funny, depressing or something else?

This song is funny! 1 25.00%

This song is depressing. 1 25.00%

This song sucks so bad that it's depressing! 0 0%

I like eggs. 2 50.00%

Total:4
Makaha said:
sundin13 said:
The only thing depressing about the song is that ride haha

you mean the ride cymbal on the drums? (drum machine actually)

Yeah, I agree, it's a very simple arrangement, there's not even a bass line, I was just using this recording to pitch to music publishers, it's not a finished product--wasn't meant to be.  The singer's performance is very strong though, I think he nails it in terms of getting the meaning of the lyrics across, and to me really brings the song to life.

Yeah, its honestly way too harsh and I found it pretty distracting. I'd probably switch over to hats for the verse and then only use the ride in the chorus, and then either find a new sample for the ride or find some way to take some of the brightness out of it with EQ or effects. I'd also suggest doing some volume automation to vary the volume up and put emphasis on certain beats so it doesn't feel so stiff and robotic. Just because you are using digital drums doesn't mean they need to sound like digital drums. 

I will say that the vocals are well done and the vocal production is very clean.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Eagle367 said:

Oh we don't care if you wanna kill yourself. I don't care for much of a long life either but the question becomes do you want anyone you come into contact with to potentially die or to suffer an illness which might have long term effects we aren't aware of. Could be your friends, siblings, patents, grandparents, that random grocery clerk, the delivery guy/girl, someone whose child you partied with and you gave it to them and they gave it to their parent. 

That's the point with pandemics and epidemics. It's not all about you, it's about other people. If the choice was as simple as just yourself, the world would react a lot more differently. 

I'm not sure where that came from exactly. Yet I can't help but ask, what if that suicidal person was by chance our worlds "Ellie"?

So when it's not a pandemic, then life is all about you and you don't need to care? Is life ever all about you, or just the opposite maybe?

What is life all about exactly?

Well if we're talking about living in general, it's not all about yourself, it's about everyone and everything and how it all connects together. The suffering if one person has an affect on humanity as a whole no matter how small and whether or not you notice it. But if we talk about suicide, personally, I don't feel like anyone but your loved ones get to have a say in that decision, even if it does affect them. They can talk to you about it, but that's it. A Pandemic though isn't suicide, it's attempted suicide and attempted murder. Kinda like rolling the dice on yourself and others around you. 

If the person was Ellie, then it's still Ellie's decision. There's a difference between choosing to save people and choosing to put them in danger. The second one is either a negative by doing it or a neutral by not doing it while the first is a positive by doing it or a neutral by not doing it. Both choices of the first are better than one of the choices of the second. 

Life is never all about you. Life is always about the community and of course you are a part of that community so your individuality matters in that but individualism is misguided in my opinion. 

And as for what is life all about, that is for every human to decide for themselves. 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I'm not really seeing the satire. For the most part it just reads like a real nihilist/manchild's worldview and behavior. If satire is what you're going for then the lyrics could use more absurdity and/or a more critical tone.

Eagle367 said:
EricHiggin said:

I'm not sure where that came from exactly. Yet I can't help but ask, what if that suicidal person was by chance our worlds "Ellie"?

So when it's not a pandemic, then life is all about you and you don't need to care? Is life ever all about you, or just the opposite maybe?

What is life all about exactly?

Well if we're talking about living in general, it's not all about yourself, it's about everyone and everything and how it all connects together. The suffering if one person has an affect on humanity as a whole no matter how small and whether or not you notice it. But if we talk about suicide, personally, I don't feel like anyone but your loved ones get to have a say in that decision, even if it does affect them. They can talk to you about it, but that's it. A Pandemic though isn't suicide, it's attempted suicide and attempted murder. Kinda like rolling the dice on yourself and others around you. 

If the person was Ellie, then it's still Ellie's decision. There's a difference between choosing to save people and choosing to put them in danger. The second one is either a negative by doing it or a neutral by not doing it while the first is a positive by doing it or a neutral by not doing it. Both choices of the first are better than one of the choices of the second. 

Life is never all about you. Life is always about the community and of course you are a part of that community so your individuality matters in that but individualism is misguided in my opinion. 

And as for what is life all about, that is for every human to decide for themselves. 

If potentially contracting covid and potentially spreading it, leading to yourself/someone else potentially getting sick, injured, or dying, is attempted suicide/murder, then the same would apply to driving. People worldwide could potentially get in an accident, leading to themselves/someone else getting traumatized, injured, or dying. I'd say your over exaggerating but that's just me.

What's the difference if the choice is her's period? If she chooses to off herself, then that was the right choice for her, which should make it a good choice then correct? Unless the world isn't about you and making your own choices that could potentially negatively impact others in some way. Didn't you say, "oh we don't care if you wanna kill yourself", or was that just a joke as well?

If people are given the opportunity to choose, then at the very least, life at times is all about you. Even if your decision was to do what would benefit the community more than yourself, that's still what's best for you, since you made the decision, assuming it was made freely.

If some humans decide life is all about me, me, me, then that would go directly against life being more so a community. Some of those humans clearly exist, and some of them thrive. What's best always comes down to the individual. For some it's more about them, for some it's more about others.

EricHiggin said:
Eagle367 said:

If potentially contracting covid and potentially spreading it, leading to yourself/someone else potentially getting sick, injured, or dying, is attempted suicide/murder, then the same would apply to driving. People worldwide could potentially get in an accident, leading to themselves/someone else getting traumatized, injured, or dying. I'd say your over exaggerating but that's just me.

What's the difference if the choice is her's period? If she chooses to off herself, then that was the right choice for her, which should make it a good choice then correct? Unless the world isn't about you and making your own choices that could potentially negatively impact others in some way. Didn't you say, "oh we don't care if you wanna kill yourself", or was that just a joke as well?

If people are given the opportunity to choose, then at the very least, life at times is all about you. Even if your decision was to do what would benefit the community more than yourself, that's still what's best for you, since you made the decision, assuming it was made freely.

If some humans decide life is all about me, me, me, then that would go directly against life being more so a community. Some of those humans clearly exist, and some of them thrive. What's best always comes down to the individual. For some it's more about them, for some it's more about others.

Oh come on, the comparison to driving is misguided at best and dangerous at worst.

And what's best doesn't always come down to the individual. That's something I disagree with. Do individuals make dumb decisions? Sure but that doesn't mean it's best. What's best always comes from when humans come together to achieve something. Civil rights, economic rights, human rights all came about from collective action, not individual action though as I said there is value in the individual. That's why individualism is misguided. Now that doesn't mean that whenever humans come together to do something, it's best because horrible things can happen from the wrong collectivist action as well like Nazism or white supremacism.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:
EricHiggin said:

Oh come on, the comparison to driving is misguided at best and dangerous at worst.

And what's best doesn't always come down to the individual. That's something I disagree with. Do individuals make dumb decisions? Sure but that doesn't mean it's best. What's best always comes from when humans come together to achieve something. Civil rights, economic rights, human rights all came about from collective action, not individual action though as I said there is value in the individual. That's why individualism is misguided. Now that doesn't mean that whenever humans come together to do something, it's best because horrible things can happen from the wrong collectivist action as well like Nazism or white supremacism.

Others can advise, but it's up to the individual at the end of the day. You can only hope they make what would seem to be the sensible choice, but what's right for them cannot ultimately be decided by others. I'll admit, when it comes to age, the younger you are, the more prone you are to making poor decisions because of your lack of knowledge and wisdom, which is why we label people students, adults, etc. That's far from a perfect system as well though.

Erase Hitler from history. Where does Germany end up? Erase MLK from history. Where do civil rights end up?

Why did others, choose themselves, to follow these individuals example and form a collective?

Freedom of choice vs forced collectivism. Which is worse?