By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 33, 2020 (Aug 10 - Aug 16)

Tagged games:

Another crazy week for the Switch.
More interestingly Paper Mario actually increased week on week. I hadn't expected it to have particularly strong legs, but maybe it'll actually stick around in the top ten for a while.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
Another crazy week for the Switch.
More interestingly Paper Mario actually increased week on week. I hadn't expected it to have particularly strong legs, but maybe it'll actually stick around in the top ten for a while.

I’m very interested to see how Paper Mario has sold once the September reports come in. Between this and the July NPD where it was reported that it broke TTYD’s record for dollar sales, I expect sales will be very high. It may be close to passing SPM already.

Chicho said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Which week of Obon normally sells more hardware? The week of or the week before?

The Actual week

Thanks.  That's what I thought.  Looks like Nintendo sent a huge shipment of hardware only to have it sell out during the week of Obon.  No matter how much they send, Japan just gobbles it up.

src said:
Kai_Mao said:
Right now, Japan is:
- Having a huge economic slump
- Dealing with the significant increase in COVID cases

I think its incredible that the Switch is dominating the sales charts in these unprecedented circumstances, especially in Japan.
Not only that, but there are STILL shortages and lotteries. Even the popular RFA is having stock shortages.
The holidays will really be interesting and I do wonder how the PS5 will do once it releases this holiday against the Switch in Japan.

Incorrect analysis.

COVID has given gaming an incredible boost worldwide in all sectors. Nearly every gaming company is posting 50-100% gains. COVID has helped gaming rather than hamper it.

Doesn't seem to reflect on the PS4 in Japan in terms of hardware. :P

Though I am not denying that sales are great partly thanks to COVID, stock issues are still a thing (hence, the lotteries to even buy a Switch or Switch Lite or RFA) and production has not fully recovered from the early issues related to COVID. Still, the Switch is doing incredible numbers, despite stock issues and lotteries.

I guess the big consequence of COVID is the upcoming software releases. Some projects have faced delays this year. FFVIIR for some reason had to be delayed from March to April and TLoU Part II was delayed indefinitely...until it got leaked and then had a new release date. Cyberpunk 2077 also suffered from a delay.

Other projects that are projected to be 2021 releases or later appear to be affected. As we have seen in the PS5 and XSX showings, a lot of the new titles are either CGI trailers or in-engine footage (not necessarily gameplay in which we can see how they appear in action when controllers are being used) with no release windows. Why is that the case?

Switch to PS4 ratio to 45:1.

May as well rename Japan to Nintendoland.

Around the Network

Edit: My bad, posted last week's charts by mistake since Famitsu released the two together.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 August 2020

Animal Crossing is the biggest beast in Japan.

PS4 is officially dead after Sony didn't even bother to restock it during holiday weeks.

MK 8 still selling strong in Japan

4 million is already locked and will easily outsell MK DS, the question is if it will have legs to get 5 million lol

So does AC NH have 2million digital sales?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Agente42 said:
src said:

PS4 has had stock issues for a while. Sony does not mind.

nintendo has stock issues worldwide

amazon have Nintendo Switch for $390+

the gap between the old gen and new gen, with months in the absence, seems not good for a brand. 

And Jeff Bezos of Amazon keeps on getting richer everytime there is a shortage of a "hot" product