By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - A Message To Our Xbox Community...

RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:

see rol im actually funny

must be your german heritage

German, huh?

Does "wahnsinnige Geschwindigkeit" ring any bells?

is that the translation for need for speed?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

adding to that those vocal xbox users are permabanned anyway

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

man the love between the two of you could solve the consolewar

RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:
man the love between the two of you could solve the consolewar

If he promotes you and me to moderators, yes. Absolutely yes.

im still busy convincing @TalonMan to add full mod powers into the league admin rank

RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:

im still busy convincing @TalonMan to add full mod powers into the league admin rank

Sounds similar to my story. I couldn't convince @TruckOSaurus either.

Personally I dont think the fact I permabanned talon in the PL helps :)

even if that means im stepping into Stofs legacy

Around the Network

tag.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

CGI-Quality said:
Shinobi-san said:

I think this is a really bad direction, and I say that as a previous moderator on the team and also primarily a PS/PC gamer. Perhaps there is a place for special focus on Xbox threads to ensure that it does not become a constant bashing ground simply because its 'Xbox', but this should simply be governed by the existing rule set.

There are many consequences for following this approach, and personally I believe it leads to further community segregation.

You think it is a bad direction to keep this thread all about Xbox? Fair enough (though I disagree on principle). Or perhaps it's the messaging of that post that has opened an unintended misunderstanding?

It's not to say that other brands can't be discussed under any circumstance. Rather, a topic dedicated to Xbox interests and site issues (this is a stressing of the point, since Xbox has taken a bit of a nosedive on our site over the past few years). We have the Empire thread for general news, so this will take a more administrative approach, but should still be treated as a place where Xbox fans shouldn't have to worry about a topic toppled by opposition (which, unfortunately, happens too often).

Threads like this for the others have not been ruled out, we're just focusing on Xbox at the moment.

Definitely not an issue with this thread, just the general approach of singling out a specific community, and highlighting the need for increased patrolling, safe spaces etc. I would just hope that every thread and post is treated within the same rule set no matter where a users allegiance lies and what topic he/she is posting in.

There really should never be a need for a safe space, as then I feel that the root cause of the issue is not being addressed. This also implies that their is a difference between the safe space and the normal space? Which I assume is obviously not the intention. Ultimately users behaviors, no matter where their allegiance lies, should be judged individually and objectively no matter where the post is going, safe space or not.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

You locked my thread in the Xbox section because of "backseat moderating, flaming, and trolling" yet virtually none of it was coming from anyone talking Xbox. Outside of a couple of users who are always negative in Xbox threads, the talk was very good and civil. Seems a simpler solution would have been to remove the people bothered by the discussion, but it was an Xbox thread, so it was locked. Seems really nothing has changed. If there's to be any Xbox talk that for whatever stupid reason might bother some of the other users, the only place for it will be the megathread.

This makes me so happy! Thank you!

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, I do agree that some Xbox fans are constantly bullied on this site and this should be stopped. There is no question about it. The same goes for games that are exclusive to the platform, and where discussions often degenerate into game/developer bashing and console cock comparisons. I get it why some people might not feel welcomed, and I will be entirely honest, I to have helped somewhat in a negative manner with some of my older posts. At least I hope that I managed to grow enough, so I will not insult anyone anymore with petty posts.

On the other hand, it does smell a bit of censoring certain grievances, just for the sake of keeping a larger number of users on board. Moves like these are often a slippery slope and the results are often questionable at best. It seems that a certain category of users will receive some extra positive attention from the mod team just because they are in a numerical minority. This might affect the quality of posts in the long-term and might alienate a certain segment of the community.

Just as an example, I use several MS products, both at work (SharePoint, Project Server, Windows Server, Hyper-V, Git, etc.) and for gaming (Windows PC, Xbox 360/One controllers), though I do hold somewhat of a grudge against the Xbox brand (and it's curent leadership/expansion mentality), as I do not believe that they are always beneficial to the industry. I wonder how quickly this new-found attention will result in some of my posts being mobbed, and the moderating team caving to the requests? I would like to think that the mod team is perfect in their judgment in what is considered trolling/flaming, and I do believe that the quality of the mod team grew in the last couple of years, but we have seen plenty of instances where moderation was patchy at best, or downright unjust at the worst.

With this thread, I do feel like there was a small bullseye put on my back, and I know already who are some of the other users that are targeted (no need to hide behind some kind of balanced profile/avatar image). I called this site my gaming home for the last 13 years+, it would be a shame if this decision will result in the opposite of what it is intended to do, ie. drive away certain people, who might not be perfect, but are still valuable members of the community.

I do hope that the ideas that CGI posted in the OP will be a healthy guideline that will help all of us interact in a more civilized manner, and make all Xbox fans feel at home, so I will try to look at it as a positive step, and that everyone sees this as a new start, where we can build up true community interoperability.

Cheers!

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!