By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I'm Keeping my Switch, and Digital Refunds!

Tagged games:

Sad that the posts in here are just blowing off a valid complaint with knee-jerk defense.

There's an actual discussion to be had here about the lack of digital refunds on all three consoles. (afaik all 3).

It's shit, and Nintendo along with the other two are at fault.

Edit: Microsoft and PlayStatoin actually do offer refund policies I wasn't aware of, though PlayStation's policy is still bad.

Good

Steam - Refund any game within 2 weeks of purchase and under 2 hours played.
Origin - Refund any game within 24 hours of first launch or within 2 weeks of purchase.
Epic Game Store - Refund any game within 2 weeks of purchase and under 2 hours played.
Microsoft - Refund any game within 2 weeks of purchase and under 2 hours played.
GOG - full refund up to 30 days after purchasing a product, even if you downloaded, launched, and played it.
Stadia - You can request a refund within 14 days of your purchase if there is less than 2 hours of play time

Bad

Uplay - Refund within 2 weeks if game not accessed.
Sony - Refund within 2 weeks if game not accessed.

Terrible

Nintendo - "We are unable to provide refunds or exchanges for mistaken purchases, and/or if you don't like the game."

When EA have a more consumer friendly policy than you, you know something is very wrong.

Last edited by Barkley - on 14 August 2020

Around the Network

Sounds like you bought a Lite instead of the proper Switch. Upgrade and play local multiplayer. You should have bought Mario Kart instead of NSMBUD.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Dulfite said:
It isn't a company's fault if someone buys their product without fully knowing what's in the product unless that company doesn't provide that information. It's all over the internet. There has never been a 2-D Mario game with online multiplayer. Maybe their next one, but why would you assume one originally released in 2012 would have it?

And seriously, Nintendo products have as far as I know always kept their price. Why do they do this? Because their games usually are just as fun years later as the day they launched, are very replayable, and most importantly they know their consumers don't care and will buy them anyway. Other companies can't get the sales figures Nintendo does unless they slash MSRP, but if Nintendo doesn't have to do that to tell the game why would they? More profit for them means more fun games created by them for us to enjoy.

I suppose this is the centre of the issue for digital games. In most marketplaces you can return a product that doesn't suit you. Partly that exists because having a good reputation (like with TagHeuer watches, for instance) for returns and replacements you get loyalty and brand image. But for the most part that exists due to legislation. 

That legislation makes possible a world where idiots like me can (just the other week) buy a set of Torx screwdrivers for electronics repairs mistakenly believing T8 and T8H to be the same, sending those bad boys straight back and ordering the one I needed. It's a political thing for sure, so doesn't belong here, but even those who disagree with this legislation imposing extra costs on companies tend to accept that consumer protection boosts demand and leads to better functioning markets which companies then benefit from. (Or at the very least, good legislation tries to do so).

And yes I agree Nintendo games are great that's why I spent £300 on the store since corona

Dulfite said:
It isn't a company's fault if someone buys their product without fully knowing what's in the product unless that company doesn't provide that information. It's all over the internet. There has never been a 2-D Mario game with online multiplayer. Maybe their next one, but why would you assume one originally released in 2012 would have it?

Mario Maker 2

The toxicity in here is through the roof.

How surprising.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Sounds like you bought a Lite instead of the proper Switch. Upgrade and play local multiplayer. You should have bought Mario Kart instead of NSMBUD.

Yeah I did. I wanted the new proper switch with the upgraded battery but there were none left when I got mine back in March, and the prices had been bid up to £400 (they're back to £270 now). (edit: even with the proper one we'd still be stuck bc. we're not in the same location - otherwise you can actually system link the switch lites over LAN or whatever)

We were actually deciding between Mario Kart, Mario Bros U Deluxe or Super Mario Odyssey.

AkimboCurly said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Yeah I did. I wanted the new proper switch with the upgraded battery but there were none left when I got mine back in March, and the prices had been bid up to £400 (they're back to £270 now). (edit: even with the proper one we'd still be stuck bc. we're not in the same location - otherwise you can actually system link the switch lites over LAN or whatever)

We were actually deciding between Mario Kart, Mario Bros U Deluxe or Super Mario Odyssey.

I was going to suggest buying an extra joycon or mayflash adapter and sitting her on your knee but that isn't going to work. The only solution now is to get married and exchange 2 x Lites for a proper one and use any profit to buy Mario Kart or 2 extra joycons for the kids. You can thank me later.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Peh said:
This is well known that there is no online coop. If you didn't know it, you should do some research before buying a game. That's also meant as a general advice. Nintendo's policy is also well known and again, do your research. If the price is too high for you, don't buy it and wait for a discount. Since you've bought the game at that price, you've agreed on it.

This is entirely on you.

We need to stop defending these companies that don't care about you.

He had reason to believe it was online due to it saying 'online enabled' and 'play anytime with anyone' He had the game loaded for 3 minutes which they can see on their metric. How hard is it to refund a game that they didn't even play?

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I literally don't understand why people fight so hard to defend corporations. This is a terrible practice and service, and all 3 of the big console makers are guilty of these awful policies.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Hadnt played Mike Tysons Punch-Out!! for a long time. Thought I might get to Soda Popinski. Beat the game. 14-0 KO.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but I wanted you all to know.