By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I'm Keeping my Switch, and Digital Refunds!

Tagged games:

psychicscubadiver said:
I dunno if it's just me, but I check and research before I buy any item online. Not just the item itself but also the policies around it. There are plenty of 'anti-consumer' stuff out there, but having a harsh return policy just means I double check that I want a product before ordering. As long as it's what I ordered, I don't feel like companies are obligated to fix my mistake if I wasn't careful.

Exactly! If someone fails to do research that is on them. It's like voting, if allyou base your vote on is TV plugs on majornetworks then you've failed to do adequate research, but if you've read contrary articles from many sources and cross referenced them before voting you will be much more informed and less likely to regret which way you voted. Yet sadly there are many who vote for something just based on unbearably biased TV anchors/analysts and commercials, just as there are many consumers buying products based on commercials or symbols on the box art rather than reading more.

Around the Network

A quick google search would've solved this before you made the mistake in assuming New Mario Deluxe had online coop.

That's what I did even before reading your entire post and I found this right away....

https://www.co-optimus.com/game/5462/nintendo-switch/new-super-mario-bros-u-deluxe.html

"Online Coop = not supported"

Vinther1991 said:
Nintendo is unfortunately particularly nasty when it comes to stuff like this. They really deserve to be taken to court. They even pulled Pikmin 3 from the Wii U E-Shop, because they now have a Switch version to sell at full price.

I am not sure how you can take a company to court for them taking down their own game from a store

Last edited by Azzanation - on 15 August 2020

Hynad said:

Yet, only one side apologized. 

I'm sorry for suggesting marriage. I didn't account for the possibility of losing the Switch in a divorce settlement.

sales2099 said:

You lost me at assuming Nintendo games had online.

People play Nintendo for whimsical unique experiences you can’t find on the competition. What is also common sense is that their online network is on par with Xbox Live in 2003. Fans simply accept this so long as the games are great. 

I admire their faith in Nintendo (that's why I wanted them to breed) but trusting Nintendo's online to help facilitate a long distance relationship might be the biggest mistake OP made.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I see a lot of people(including the thread maker) complaining about digital's refund policy.

Never buy or pre-buy digital version games on launch for full price even you're huge fan of PlayStation or Xbox that much, so always visit the game stores for physical media plus they have good refund policy.

And buying digital version became irrelevant because Xbox Game Pass and PlayStation Now are the best options.

The biggest con for digital version is your purchased games may rarely disappear from your account due to the glitch/bug website concern if you're complete unaware of this for long time.

EDIT:

The "Online compatible" & "Play anytime and anywhere" statements, apparently you actually have failed expectation. The description in NSMUD didn't mention you can play online with your friends at all, it's just **Internet access required in order to access Videos gallery** and **Online** defines for cloud save support.

"Play anytime and anywhere" is just a slogan advertisement defining you take a home portable console with you and kill your time anywhere.

P.S. I can't believe i became a lawyer here. lol

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 15 August 2020

Around the Network

Round two of General reply to common themes:

1. A "quick google search and you'd have been fine". Yes. I'm aware. The trouble is that with statements like "Online enabled" and "Mario, anytime, anywhere, with anyone", and the advertisement showing four players running through a level, I felt pretty confident the game had online co-op. It's easy to say in hindsight what I could have done - but I didnt feel any need to cynically second-guess the impression the above statements gave me.

2. Besides that, I think the centre of gravity of my original post was about the treatment I received from the Nintendo store. Really, the only reason I mentioned why we both thought it had online, and why we needed it to have online, was to get across that more casual Nintendo players like us could be forgiven for having these expectations, and why Nintendo should have a returns policy which responds to that. In our case, neither of us owned a Wii U or 3DS, I had an original Wii, and an original DS and Gameboy and then since 2008 or whenever the Wii was, hadn't bought a Nintendo machine. The idea that a flagship title would lack online co-op left both of us genuinely shocked in a way it probably wouldn't have shocked you as, i see, much more avid Nintendo users.

3. Anyway, the crux of this is the returns policy, and the complete lack of flexibility from the online store. I have returned a handful of games in the past on Steam, most recently cancelling my preorder for Crusader Kings 3 as I noticed it was going to be in game pass. No questions. On Xbox I returned Modern Warfare because after downloading for 6 hours it still had 80 GB of ridiculous "packs" without which the game didnt function except Warzone, about which i didn't care. This is the industry standard. These are the kinds of policy you only need once every blue moon. On the flip side, a policy like Nintendo's felt like they had sprung a trap against me. Like if you walked into some dodgy market in Anderlecht and get told by a burly Belgian gentleman that "you touch, you buy", pointing to his sign, despite all the other stalls treating shoppers respectfully. I wouldn't want to return to his stall in a hurry, even if it was my fault I missed the sign, and his clothes were unique.

4. The toxicity flamewar? Not sure what the point is because i normally only lurk on this forum. I was angry at the time of the original post and was outraged that I had been shafted in the way I had. I did want to sell the damn thing. If it weren't for the value of my back catalogue and the fact that my partner only has a switch, i'd be gone. I lost almost all my goodwill for them yesterday, as they clearly showed none to me. Sorry if my initial tone of voice set this legitimate conversation off on the wrong foot.

Really... that's why you would sell your Switch ? Not because of Nintendo's ridiculous prices or the fact that there's been barely any improvement to the system at all since launch.

How bout the fact that there is barely any new games ? This is the most ridiculous thing, as a Switch owner i'm so frustrated with lack of games and announcments ! Where is the new Zelda and Mario games ?? where is Mario and Zelda collections ? Where is Bayonetta 3 and many others ?? AND GODDAMNINT don't you dare mention Animal Crossing to me!! the last big BIG game was Super Smash.. and the last new game that interested me was Luigi's Mansion, so i said to myself i will not hesitate for a second to sell this useless console for a PS5.

The PS4 has been absolutely slaying this year!! And after all those exclusives and third party games and Ghost of Tsushima i look at my switch and say: Why the hell does this stupid thing continue to sell so well ? F this i deserve better, i invested so much into this thing ! WE all deserve better as switch owners.

Look i love Switch and Nintendo games (except BS like Pokemon and Animal Crossing) but i'm sick of this half assing and this flimsy console, i hope Ninty get's of their lazy ass and do something cause the PS5 is right around the corner and things are looking phenomenal for it. My dream would be Mario collection.. 64,Sunshine,Galaxy games in 1080p 60 fps ahh.. that alone would make me keep my switch forever or buy it again if i have to.

COME ON NINTENDO WAKE UP!!

lol the replies are exactly how i imagined they would be. Some folks are so typical it's boring.

@OP good luck man, you'll need it trying to vent in a place like this.

I feel sorry for your loss

"we got a live one, boys!"

Referencing sub-zero-TM