By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July NPD 2020: Switch 340K, PS4 150K, XB1 17k (rip)

For what it's worth, Benji-Sales just confirmed on his YouTube live chat that XBox's NPD numbers were a "disaster" and well under 50K so I think the number we have is pretty accurate.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Around the Network

"Who cares about hardware sales when we have gamepass."

Agente42 said:

switch avaliability On US

Available: Scalpers for $ 390+

How about XBO? Considering the low sales numbers, it should be at least just as bad, if not worse, right?

Rob5VGC said:
"Who cares about hardware sales when we have gamepass."

Or we can get Don Mattick, Major Nelson or Phil Spencer saying that sales outside of holidays don't matter, holidays is where it counts.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

If that Xbox 1 number is real, then are they pulling the plug on the console or is it just some super drastic but temporary stock issue

Around the Network
Link_Nines.XBC said:

If that Xbox 1 number is real, then are they pulling the plug on the console or is it just some super drastic but temporary stock issue

My theory is that they switched out the production lines of the XBO for the XSX and didn't expect that the XBO would actually sell better than last year, thus running out of consoles before the replacement ever got released.

Link_Nines.XBC said:

Its a stock issue.... however this close to next gen.... its questionable if its something they can or will bother fixing.
I think their more focused on next gen devices at this point, and basically dont care.

So the next few npds for xbox are probably gonna be rather small ones.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 20 August 2020

Yikes, that is a brutal drop and overall numbers for Xbox One, especially given the NA market is its home turf. I suppose the combination of being crushed between the succesful PS4 and Switch, and the hype drastically shifting to the upcoming Series X, it makes a little bit of sense.. A bit concerning for me though, who plans on riding out the XBOne until at least the midpoint in the gen of the Series X.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

With next gen probably less than three months away and Xbone far from being a money printer, I guess it makes more sense to move on than to fight to keep it afloat.

Shadow1980 said:

Chart time!

Hardware continues its downward slide from the heights of March & especially April. The COVID bump did amazing things for HW sales, but now we're back to something approaching normalcy. I say "approaching" because while the PS4 & XBO were already back to being down YoY in June, the XBO hardly sold anything in July (can't sell what's not available to sell), and the Switch is still experiencing residual gains, though those are steadily declining. I suspect the Switch return to being down YoY no later than September. How much it'll be down remains to be seen, but with Switch already being up over 1.7M units YTD in 2020 from 2019, it's highly unlikely for its 2020 as a whole to be down from 2019. I think it'll end the year somewhere in the 6.5-7M range, making it one of the best years for a system ever, definitely in the Top 10 if we exclude pure handhelds. This is assuming that A) Nintendo doesn't have some major software release and/or a price cut of some kind, either permanent or temporary, and B) there isn't another round of stimulus checks by year's end. Either of those could potentially push the Switch to 7.5M or more.

More charts to come later.

You should realize the only reasons Switch numbers are not much higher is because there are stock ussue. And mostly you are givin too much credit to COVID and Ignoring others factors for Switch being up YOY. Expecting Switch to be down YOY by ~1 million in the second half of the year is unrealistic.

7.5 million should be the floor, not the most optimist scenario.