By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 32, 2020 (Aug 03 - Aug 09)

Tagged games:

A shudder to think about what this system is capable of selling in the holiday season if Nintendo is able to make enough supply to meet demand.

Around the Network
Marth said:
src said:

Sony doesn't even need to moneyhat Capcom anymore. Like most JP third parties, their best selling games of all time have happened due to the Playstation ecosystem and Sony knows that, so the will continue with that ecosystem.

Only third party franchise I can see Sony moneyhatting for domestic reasons is DQ12.

lol

List of best sellers:

Capcom : MHW (8-10 million on PS4)

SE: prior FFXV (7 million+ on PS4), now FF7R (PS4 exclusive)

TK: Nioh (PS4 timed exclusive)

Atlus: Persona 5 (PS4 exclusive)

NB: DBZ/Naruto/Tekken (all had the vast majority of sales/userbase on PS4)

src said:
Marth said:

lol

List of best sellers:

Let's not pretend there wasn't huge moneyhatting going on.

Proceeds to pretend there isn't huge moneyhatting going on.

Spoiler!
Even lists obvious moneyhats

Marth said:

lol

src said:
OTBWY said:

Sony doesn't even need to moneyhat Capcom anymore. Like most JP third parties, their best selling games of all time have happened due to the Playstation ecosystem and Sony knows that, so the will continue with that ecosystem.

Only third party franchise I can see Sony moneyhatting for domestic reasons is DQ12.

SF 2 is in Playstatin ecosystem? Minecraft? Just Dance? Dragon Quest? 

xMetroid said:
curl-6 said:

I just feel like at the moment they're like "we sell like crack without even trying, so why bother actually communicating with our fans or releasing new games?"

There is 2 directs coming this month, just patience. I agreed before, but seeing Halo getting delayed, a LAUNCH title, you can feel the impact of the quarantine in this. They have the Mario collection probably in September still. I know we didn't get much info but it's not only because they are selling out, but mostly cause they probably weren't sure of their own release schedule. Mind you, we still don't really know much about next gen either and they are releasing in like 3 months.

Have to say for the sales tho, incredible performance for the Switch. Kinda scary for anyone to try and launch a system in this environment. 

We'll see; if there is indeed a proper Direct this month (I'm highly skeptical) that actually announces some significant new games and/or gives updates on major games like BOTW2 or at least promised 2020 releases like No More Heroes 3 then I'll agree I was getting hyperbolic.

The problem is, I've been hearing "there's a big Direct coming soon" for almost a year now, and it's never materialized.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 August 2020

Around the Network

The way the Switch, AC and RFA never stop blowing me away

The Switch will easily end up doing 7M+ for the whole year (unless there's some tragic stock problems during the holiday).

curl-6 said:
xMetroid said:

There is 2 directs coming this month, just patience. I agreed before, but seeing Halo getting delayed, a LAUNCH title, you can feel the impact of the quarantine in this. They have the Mario collection probably in September still. I know we didn't get much info but it's not only because they are selling out, but mostly cause they probably weren't sure of their own release schedule. Mind you, we still don't really know much about next gen either and they are releasing in like 3 months.

Have to say for the sales tho, incredible performance for the Switch. Kinda scary for anyone to try and launch a system in this environment. 

We'll see; if there is indeed a proper Direct this month (I'm highly skeptical) that actually announces some significant new games and/or gives updates on major games like BOTW2 or at least promised 2020 releases like No More Heroes 3 then I'll agree I was getting hyperbolic.

The problem is, I've been hearing "there's a big Direct coming soon" for almost a year now, and it's never materialized.

The year has been uncertain and plans have changed a lot. Same people who were right about the exact date and how the Partner Direct would happen are saying there is a General direct the 28th. Just got said today, there never pointed out what it was back with the partner, but assumed since they heard about some titles coming soon (Mario collection, pikmin 3, etc) so they thought they would announce them there. But Nintendo pulled a stupid marketing move no one could see coming.

Insiders don't know everything clear, they have to analyze and predict. That said, they seem certain there is a general one on this time. It links with the usual time it happens and with Nintendo having for sure a September and November or December game to announce (or else they would have moved Paper Mario to holiday tbh, July could have stayed empty if the holidays didn't have a title.)

xMetroid said:
curl-6 said:

The year has been uncertain and plans have changed a lot. Same people who were right about the exact date and how the Partner Direct would happen are saying there is a General direct the 28th. Just got said today, there never pointed out what it was back with the partner, but assumed since they heard about some titles coming soon (Mario collection, pikmin 3, etc) so they thought they would announce them there. But Nintendo pulled a stupid marketing move no one could see coming.

Insiders don't know everything clear, they have to analyze and predict. That said, they seem certain there is a general one on this time. It links with the usual time it happens and with Nintendo having for sure a September and November or December game to announce (or else they would have moved Paper Mario to holiday tbh, July could have stayed empty if the holidays didn't have a title.)

Which insiders are saying a general direct on the 28th? Can you please link me to their statements?

curl-6 said:
xMetroid said:

Which insiders are saying a general direct on the 28th? Can you please link me to their statements?

They don't want it to go out anymore, they are using stuff to hide comments on Resetera now, but it's Cap and Nate as usual. Grubb also think there is a indie next week.

OTBWY said:
src said:

List of best sellers:

Proceeds to pretend there isn't huge moneyhatting going on.

Spoiler!
Even lists obvious moneyhats

Marth said:

lol

Every platform holder uses moneyhats. The only difference is some platform holders have more power over third parties than others. Nintendo and MS would do the same if they could but the latter lost their grasp on third parties generations ago as soon as Sony entered and the former is pretty much bowing out of the console race unable to compete with Sony.

Agente42 said:
src said:

SF 2 is in Playstatin ecosystem? Minecraft? Just Dance? Dragon Quest? 

MHW is Capcoms best selling game. MC and JD are Western games. DQ is outsold by FF and KH, the latter two heavily tied with Playstation.