By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Infinite delayed to 2021

AbbathTheGrim said:

Delayed until 2021.

Won't release with Xbox Series X this November.

As much as this probably sucks for xbox fans, you cant release your flagship title in a broken state and just go "we'll patch it lateron".
If the first GaaS Halo launches and is a mess, maybe missing content, patches with raytraceing and whatnot..... and scores like a 60-70 on metacritic.
It would be bad for the Halo brand.

More time in the oven is the better solution.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
TheRealOne said:

While this is true. I wouldn’t agree this time with Halo being a flagship launch title. 

What do they have now?

a few timed exclusives? forza?

2020 games:
The medium, Crossfire X, Tetris Effect,.... and maybe forza?

JRPGfan said:
eva01beserk said:

What do they have now?

2020 games:

Forza is in "early development". It's not coming out this year, Holiday 2021 at the earliest. They have Gears Tactics, a game already released on PC, but will be new to consoles at least.

JRPGfan said:
eva01beserk said:

What do they have now?

2020 games:

Not really exiting. Could just be me. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
JRPGfan said:

2020 games:
The medium, Crossfire X, Tetris Effect,.... and maybe forza? *Gears Tactics

Not really exiting. Could just be me. 

They also have some game patches to older games like Ori 2, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, and The Outer Worlds, so slightly improve graphics/framerates when running them on the series X.

And no, its not just you, its a very lackluster lineup for a console launch.

*appears forza isnt 2020 either.

Around the Network

Well, XseX willll sell out at launch anyway. Halo launching a little later may help sustain that momentum rather than rob it of any.

Infinite will now launch with Ray Tracing it seems.

While I was looking forward to Halo being the first game I played on the system and I am a little frustrated it is being delayed, it is the right thing to do.

Interesting that they mentioned 2021 only. They didnt even gave us the quarter in which they are planning to release it. So most likely this is at least a 6 month delay. Good thing is that they will probably be able to deliver a much better looking game, bad thing is that it might hurt XSX launch sales.

shikamaru317 said:

I don't think the line-up is weak personally, a bit underwhelming perhaps, but not weak.

• CrossFireX- The campaign is being made by Remedy and looked fantastic on the July trailer. People seem to forget that Remedy are masters of storytelling, Alan Wake and Quantum Break both had great stories, while Control straight up got a best story nomination at the 2019 Game Awards last year. The campaign looks better than any CoD campaign since the 94 meta Modern Warfare 2 eleven years ago. 
  • Gears Tactics- Got a solid 81 meta on PC.
  • The Medium- Bloober Team's highest budget game yet, and the most technologically advanced game we've seen running on Series X yet, capable of rendering the game world twice at once with different art design. 2 of their previous horror games, Layers of Fear and Observer, reviewed pretty well too.
  • Tetris Effect Connected- Extremely well received game with an 89 meta on the 2018 PS4 version, the Connected expansion is a timed Xbox exclusive until sometime in 2021.
  • Yakuza 7- Xbox Series next-gen timed exclusive (PS5 owners will only be able to play the PS4 version with lesser graphics through backwards compatibility on launch). In Japan the game got an 38/40 on Famitsu, while the last 2 mainline Yakuza games got an 86 and an 83 on metacritic in the west.

Tetrist effect, Yakuza, are out already on PS4.
Gears Tactics is a game thats one the smaller budget side, and belonged to the previous gen.

So its basically just CrossFireX and The Medium.

Crossfire is a PC game from 2007, that got a graphics overhaul.
It looks fine, but not like a next gen game. Its a low-mid level type game, from along time ago, with a graphics overhaul.

The medium? this looks next gen. Again its not a huge budget game, but thats fine.
Some will say its a walking simulator, or horror game, and thus pretty niche.

"a bit underwhelming perhaps, but not weak."

I think it looks weak, not underwhelming.
Theres nothing that really entices you into getting a xbox there.

Edit:  Look at Xbox One release exclusives back in 2013.

Forza Motorsports 5, Killer Instinct, Ryze Son of Rome, Dead Riseing 3, Crimson Dragon, Peggle 2?....

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 12 August 2020

Pemalite said:
eva01beserk said:

Maybe for a pc player. But console gamers where planing on picking their series x for this game in particular. So it's good for the game not good for the Xbox. 

Nah. It's good for Xbox as well. An amazing game is better than an "ok" game.

An amazing game gets the entire industry talking positively about a platform... An average game generally falls into obscurity or turned into a running meme.

If 343i/Microsoft can pull a Halo 3 styled success, then the Xbox Series X will be a talking point in the gaming-spheres for a long time to come and hopefully sell more hardware and Gamepass subscriptions.

MasonADC said:
I thought the game looked pretty good and was excited about it but it can only get better after being delayed. cant wait for it.

The game does look good, it has some pretty high quality assets... But there are technical aspects that bring down the presentation a bit such as the lighting model being used.

John2290 said:

There is also no garuntee a game will be good if it is delayed. 

Actually need to agree.
But a delayed game with more time and effort invested it, will generally turn out better than it was before.

a delayed game in no way shape or form makes a good game.. there is a difference between a delayed game from miyamoto and 343, if that was not the case then crackdown and driveclub wouldnt have flopped, developer pedigree matters, 343 haven't proven their worth yet to get that distinction. 

high quality assets! where? those where some basic current gen assets rendered in 4k, missing shaders, flat lightning, pop in all over the place, even in cut scenes banished model looked way low quality even by a current gen standard.

pulling off halo 3 styled success, do u remember why halo3 was a system seller, a.) it was coming off just 3 years from a very well received halo 2 SP and MP, b) and true next gen Halo game. the hype even in pre youtube and twitter era was palpable.. I doubt MS/343 can recreate that hype considering their previous product was like 7 years ago and not very good. even if the game turns out to be good still it wont have halo3 level of pre release hype..

Manlytears said:

On the topic of "avoiding overwork", the infamous crunch... i agree with Jason Schreier:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1293269745580625922?s=20

it's sad, but I believe the team at 343I will face crunch at an extreme level, to have delayed a title so important for the new xbox the problems in the game must be very serious, also Microsoft realy need this game as fast as possible.

That indeed is a sad state of the industry. This exploitation of employees need to stop. They need to start organizing in unions like employees in the movie industry did about 100 years ago. Without that no real change is to expect. A little crunch may be OK from time to time, but neverending crunch is simply destroying the people.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]