By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Infinite delayed to 2021

Azzanation said:
I am never a fan of games with deadlines especally launch titles. Forza 5 and KI had this issue.
Its good that now Halo has no real deadline which means they will release when ready.
As long as the Gameplay, Music and Story hold up, the visuals are just the cherry on top for me.

I forgot about Forza 5 launching with less than half of the tracks and cars that Forza 4 had. 

And KI only had 6 characters which is really low for a fighting game. (Although KI was wonderfully done and Mick Gordon's soundtracks on it are some of my favourite of all time).

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

With that said, if you have $500 +$60 for a game (let's say $600, total because of taxes), what PS5 or XSX game are you guys hyped for on day one?

Me, personally? Not a goddam thing. And I wasn't hyped for Halo, either. If I did buy new hardware, it would have been because of backwards compatibility or FoMO. I just played Until Dawn yesterday and, while it looked rough at times, most of the time it still looked pretty damn amazing.

I'm not too hyped by anything the 9th gen is showing.

Launch lineup is fine. There's pretty much something for everyone. If you're a hardcore Xbox gamer who already exhausted everything on Xbone there are new games from MS and third parties that look great. If you're someone who either wasn't an Xbox owner this gen or didn't play through everything, there's all that plus enhanced versions of different games from this gen.

The only problem is we don't know what else will be affected by COVID like Halo. Some of these titles look very good but could be impacted and miss launch. Hell, the whole console could slip into 2021. As I said in the best box thread, these is an insane launch year. We just got the biggest launch title for 2020 delayed into 2021, we have controllers for the new console leaking onto the Internets confirming the existence of a second next gen Xbox console, we're apparently less than three months from launch and we still don't have exact dates or prices for any of these next gen consoles. It's bizarre.

But I look over the titles confirmed for launch and "launch window" and seems fine to me? I mean, who really even knows? We don't know if some of these games will be any good or not. Bugsnax or whatever looks like the stupidest thing I have ever seen but it could be the best launch title on either console for all we know.

Scorn - Metroidvania inspired 3D horror game, looks very cool. Supposedly a launch title.
Medium - Another cool looking horror game. These are the types of single player narrative games people have been screaming that MS needs for years now, they launch with two.
Gears Tactics - Great turn based tactical game. Already beat it on PC but didn't touch the end game. Will gladly replay in superior form and complete it on XSX.
Ass Creed Valhalla - Playing through Odyssey right now. Should be another great action RPG. Combat looks very brutal.
Dirt 5 - Not my cup of tea in this post-Horizon 4 world, but it's a popular franchise and looks solid.
Tetris Connected - Has a great meta and includes lots of new multiplayer content. As a big Tetris fan I can probably sell my wife on an XSX with this game alone.
Yasnoozea Like a Dragon - See Dirt. Not my cup of tea, but a very popular franchise. Apparently this is timed exclusive for next gen to XSX or something? Stupid if true, and a waste of money by MS.
Avengers - Not buying this game myself as it looks meh as fuck to me, but it's Avengers, its a live service game, it will probably be huge.
Call of the Sea - Puzzle based narrative title with cool visuals.
Crossfire X - Didn't care much for the insider test because of map design and spawns, but those can be fixed for launch. I assume it has to be the most popular MP in the world for a reason.
Crossfire X SP - Listing this separate because it's essentially a different game. Single player designed by Remedy. I question how long it will be, whether it's a fully fledged SP experience or a throwaway add-on to the MP. But what we saw looked very good and very Remedy.
12 Minutes - Been interested in this game ever since it was shown at last E3, IIRC. You're in a time bubble that resets every 12 minutes.
Artful Escape - Seems like this was revealed years ago. Always been interested because the art looks so amazing.
Ascent - Who needs Cyberpunk when you can have couch co-op in this game? AFAIK it got delayed to early 2021, but is still in the launch window.
Gears 5 - Held off on playing this when I heard a SX version was launching with the console. It's like a brand new game for me.
Horizon 4 - See above. Stopped playing the best racer ever when I heard there would be a SX patch. I play on my Scorpio in performance mode to hit 60fps and the game still looks amazing. Apparently on XSX you can go beyond 60fps and the game looks even better. We are humbled, Papa Phil.
Outriders - I think this is still coming this year? Comes from People Can Fly, and AFAIK they have never made a bad game. Ok, they did make Fortnite. My bad. I like how this is not a GaaS type game. I love GaaS, but it's nice to also have games you just beat and they end.

I could list some other titles that are smaller or that I care about even less than Yakuza (like Planet Coaster) or other "optimized for X" games like Ori 2 but I've made my point. Does anyone know when the Control XSX patch is supposed to be coming? I assume maybe 2021, but you'd think they'd want to strike while the iron is hot. That's another game I started but held off on when a SX patch was confirmed.

Also, the bolded games will be free day one in GamePass meaning they don't even require any extra investment on your part.

d21lewis said:
With that said, if you have $500 +$60 for a game (let's say $600, total because of taxes), what PS5 or XSX game are you guys hyped for on day one?

Me, personally? Not a goddam thing. And I wasn't hyped for Halo, either. If I did buy new hardware, it would have been because of backwards compatibility or FoMO. I just played Until Dawn yesterday and, while it looked rough at times, most of the time it still looked pretty damn amazing.

Astro Playroom, Deathloop, Kena: Bridge of spirits, Spiderman- Miles Morales, are all launch titles.

That said, I usually dont day1. So.... Kena does look very intresting to me though.

JRPGfan said:
d21lewis said:

Astro Playroom, Deathloop, Kena: Bridge of spirits, Spiderman- Miles Morales, are all launch titles.

That said, I usually dont day1. So.... Kena does look very intresting to me though.

So a known quality game like Gears Tactics gets a hearty downplay from you because "it belongs to the previous gen" but a PS4 game like Kena looks very interesting. Interesting, indeed.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
d21lewis said:

That's fine.

Before I posted, I looked at the launch lineups. They're are a couple of games I'd play if I already had the hardware. Astro is consistently entraining but aside from Astro Bot Rescue, always a taste of what could be.

I recall enjoying what I saw of Kena but I honestly don't know enough. Definitely not enough to have me buying a console at launch. 

My day one launch consoles (off the top of my head): Switch, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Wii U, Vita, GameCube, N64. Tried to get a PS2 but that was impossible.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 12 August 2020

LudicrousSpeed said:
JRPGfan said:

So a known quality game like Gears Tactics gets a hearty downplay from you because "it belongs to the previous gen" but a PS4 game like Kena looks very interesting. Interesting, indeed.

Kena ingame graphics: 

I think it looks great, and the gameplay looked intresting too.

Gears Tactics did release before the SX was out.
Kena is comeing out at the time of the PS5.  I honestly didnt even know it was going to have a PS4 version.

Kena was one of the two games I thought looked great in the PS5 event. No one is doubting that it looks good.

But to dismiss one game because it "belongs to the previous gen" when Kena is in fact also launching on PS4, doesn't make any sense. And then of course you have the issue that a PC doesn't have generations. What exactly makes Tactics belong to a "previous gen"? It looked better on my PC than it would have looked on my Xbox or PS4, and I played it from my SSD. Is it now next gen?

JRPGfan said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Kena ingame graphics: 

I think it looks great, and the gameplay looked intresting too.

Kena may be goty material. I'd buy it. Hell, Kameo was my first xbox 360 game. It's right up my alley! But I just feel like people are hyping it up because they have to hype up something as the "killer app''. 

I mean PS2 had SSX. PS1 had Ridge Racer and Toshinden. Gamecube had Rogue Leader. Xbox 360 had CoD2. PS4 had Killzone 2. All perfectly good games but people were just looking for that crown jewel of the launch lineup like Soul Calibur or Mario 64 so they chose a game and bestowed the crown upon it. A year later, these wannabe killer apps were mostly forgotten.

That's how I feel about Kena. It may be an excellent game but it wreaks of "Well, I guess that's the best we got."

KLXVER said:
shikamaru317 said:

Delaying the console is completely unnecessary in this case. 

1. Consoles with a Holiday season launch sell great even with no big exclusives, due to casuals buying to play 3rd parties. Also, the most hardcore fans of a particular console maker buy at launch regardless of all other factors. They just need to get Halo out in early 2021 to prevent a long sales slump. 

2. Xbox Series still has 3 console exclusives for launch, CrossFireX, Gears Tactics, and The Medium. They also have next-gen graphical updates for several of their current gen titles planned for launch, including Ori 2, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, and The Outer Worlds. And they can bundle a 1 month Gamepass code with all Series X and S consoles, which will allow people to play all of the above games for free during that 1 month (except for the CrossFireX campaign, which isn't on Gamepass at release, just the multiplayer). 

3. MS still has marketing deals for several big 3rd party games that release this year, including Madden, AC Valhalla, and Cyberpunk, which they can run ads for during the Holiday season that only mention the Xbox version. They might even still have time to get a Series X bundle ready for one of those games. 

4. They can still price Series X and Series S well, which will help them sell. If they can pull off the rumored $250 on Series S and $450 on Series X, they will definitely have a good Holiday season sales wise, especially on Series S, which will fly off the shelves at $250. 

I just dont see the excitement for the Series X. I think they could play up their exclusives and get them ready for holiday 2021. Make it look like the new shiny thing to get and make the PS5 look old in comparison. Get those exclusives out and announce what the teams are working on next to show people they have lots of games coming as well. 

I dont know. Maybe it wont matter. I just dont see many people outside of the already established fanbase choosing a Series X over the PS5 this holiday season. Sony can just ride on the success of the PS4. MS doesnt have that luxury. They have Game Pass, but the new COD, AC, Fifa, NBA2K and all the big new games wont be available on that or at least not until way after they are the new hot thing. 

All else aside it’s the best place to play 3rd party games. It carries forward your library while improving it. 

PS4 launched with KZ and Knack and that didn’t seem to affect sales. People buy the console for the investment into the future. At least that was the responses I got when I called out fans back in 2013. 

This just means Halo will continue momentum in 2021. There’s enough core fans that will ensure Xbox sells out regardless at launch. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.