By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch graphics on large TVs

Hey, I have multiple XBO consoles connected to various TVs.

-Living room: Original model connected 58 inch 4K Samsung
-Game Room: XBO X connected to a 43 inch 4K Sony
-Bedroom: XBO S connected to a 43 inch Vizio 3D
-anywhere: XBO S connected to a 20 inch G-Story monitor.

Settings have a lot to do with it, too. Until recently, I think I've had the XBO X calibrated wrong. The original 2013 console on the Samsung actually looked BETTER. I went back and made some changes (mainly in the Xbox settings menu) and now both look spectacular.

They never looked bad. No major console does. But you can make them look better and when you see how much better an image is, it's not so easy to go back. I still play the XBO S on the 1080p TV regularly but it's not as amazing as the other two.

I just used XBO in the post because it's the one console I have the easiest time comparing. One of these days, I'm gonna put the XBO X on the "big" TV!

Around the Network

65 inch 4k Samsung. All games that own look fantastic, but I have mostly first party games and indies. I've heard some graphic intensive games like the Witcher and Outer Worlds don't look great on a big screen tv.

DonFerrari said:

Nahhh 720p is excellent, we are going for 4k and then 8k just for shitty and giggles.

Flight simulator with dual 8K VR screens would be amazing! 8K gives you about 64 pixels per degree at 120 degree fov, however you only see sharp in the center of your eyes, 2 degree fov, before it quickly drops off. With foveated rendering dual 8K VR would be less GPU intensive than 4K on a screen.

(PSVR is about 9 pixels per degree on average, however due to the warping effect it's a bit higher density in the center)

720p is plenty for tvs 52" and less at regular viewing distances. (20 degree fov)
1080p is enough for console gaming on larger tvs at regular viewing distances (up to 30 degree fov)
1440p is enough for console gaming up to 40 degree fov.
4K is for PC enthusiasts who sit right on top the screen (which also makes it easier to lean in and check out the fine detail)
8K is for VR.

I play my Switch on a 65" TCL 2019 6-Series 4K TV and yes the games look stunning and incredibly sharp. However, every game is different and the majority of the titles I play are Nintendo-developed ones with their clean artstyle and (generally) native 1080p output. I think the only 3rd-party game I even own on it is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, which was still published by Nintendo actually haha, and is still 1080p.

I would assume some other titles, especially those that max out at 900p or lower, would tend to look worse or "blurry." The vast majority of 4K TV's have GREAT upscallers onboard for 1080p content, as that is still most TV/Blu-rays/game consoles and video streaming content. The issues happen when you go lower than 1080p, because that is considered more DVD-territory and a lesser area of focus for them, meaning worse image quality.

I have a 55" oled tv. I have only tried first parties games. Games like mario kart and mario maker look great. Zelda breath of the wild looks meh. Still feel like it will look better on a led tv.

Around the Network

It would seems I was mistaken; I thought my TV was 42 inches but on measuring the screen, I'm getting about 1.2 metres on the diagonal (that's how TV size is measured, right?) which google tells me is around 47 inches.

Still in "720p worth it" territory according to the chart though, which lines up with my experience as far as different resolutions go. Anything 720p or above looks good on it, provided that the content itself is visually attractive.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 August 2020

I think it looks fine. But I also don't care.

curl-6 said:

It would seems I was mistaken; I thought my TV was 42 inches but on measuring the screen, I'm getting about 1.2 metres on the diagonal (that's how TV size is measured, right?) which google tells me is around 47 inches.

Still in "720p worth it" territory according to the chart though, which lines up with my experience as far as different resolutions go. Anything 720p or above looks good on it, provided that the content itself is visually attractive.

Yes screen size is measured on the diagonal.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."