By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch graphics on large TVs

Anything below 1080p looks noticeably jaggy on my 75" 4k TV with ~3m viewing distance. 1080p really is the minimum here but a 4k picture blows it out of the water.

Around the Network

I play mine on a 50" 4k TV, and it looks great.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Random_Matt said:
Slownenberg said:

Not sitting far away at all. Like I said, the idea that Switch doesn't look fantastic on huge screens is a complete lie. It looks amazing. Maybe if you literally stand one foot in front of the screen you might notice something, but sitting a normal amount away from a TV like 8-10ft you literally notice zero difference. Image is crystal clear. Again, Switch looks fantastic on huge screens and the idea that it looks bad or blurry or whatever is a complete lie, it is fanboy fiction.

I mean I actually expected people who said it doesn't look great to be right...then I tried it this week and I'm very happy to say anyone saying that is full of it! Crystal clear 65 inch Switch played from a normal difference, notice no difference from anything else I've played on - meaning its crystal clear on any size screen.

That's great kid, believe and enjoy whatever.

face palm. I suggest actually trying it out before assuming incorrectly that you are right and other people are wrong. unlike you, kid lol, I'm experiencing it, not just believing it.

Just trying to point out for anyone who believed people who actually said Switch doesn't look great on big TVs, that it looks fantastic, and you shouldn't just blindly believe people like random_matt who haven't even tried it yet still claim to know what they're talking about. Switch looking anything but crystal clear on a giant 4k TV is a myth. I'm glad to have busted it!

I play on my 65” TV and do not upscale to 4K and it looks great.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Slownenberg said:

Not sitting far away at all. Like I said, the idea that Switch doesn't look fantastic on huge screens is a complete lie. It looks amazing. Maybe if you literally stand one foot in front of the screen you might notice something, but sitting a normal amount away from a TV like 8-10ft you literally notice zero difference. Image is crystal clear. Again, Switch looks fantastic on huge screens and the idea that it looks bad or blurry or whatever is a complete lie, it is fanboy fiction.

I mean I actually expected people who said it doesn't look great to be right...then I tried it this week and I'm very happy to say anyone saying that is full of it! Crystal clear 65 inch Switch played from a normal difference, notice no difference from anything else I've played on - meaning its crystal clear on any size screen.

I'm just saying that not everyone has the same set up. 

Not all Large 4k screens are created equal, nor is the upscaling tech and distance to TVs all equal. 

Referring to these people as fanboys when it can simply be their setup isn't helpful.

Well regardless, Switch looks great on a large TV. I ain't playing on some $2000 TV here. It was barely above the cheapest 65 inch 4k TV, so any less capable features you're talking about probably apply to this TV, and everything looks crystal clear.

Alright, let me amend my statement to be its fanboys and people who haven't actually tried it and are just assuming it looks bad, because there's no way anyone could say Switch looks bad on 65 inches. I'm looking at it right now!

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I'm just saying that not everyone has the same set up. 

Not all Large 4k screens are created equal, nor is the upscaling tech and distance to TVs all equal. 

Referring to these people as fanboys when it can simply be their setup isn't helpful.

Well regardless, Switch looks great on a large TV. I ain't playing on some $2000 TV here. It was barely above the cheapest 65 inch 4k TV, so any less capable features you're talking about probably apply to this TV, and everything looks crystal clear.

Alright, let me amend my statement to be its fanboys and people who haven't actually tried it and are just assuming it looks bad, because there's no way anyone could say Switch looks bad on 65 inches. I'm looking at it right now!

Sorry I didn't realise you were playing on the most low tech, worst panel large 4K TV. Carry on.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Conina said:
Slownenberg said:

Well, it depends on the game. Hardware demanding games in low resolutions like The Witcher 3, The Outer Worlds and ARK can be problematic ...especially if they have no anti-aliasing or shitty anti-aliasing.

Less demanding games (many first party games, many 7th gen ports and most indie games) running in 900 - 1080p look fine.

Yeah I was playing Mario Kart and Splatoon which are 1080p and look fantastic. So I just played some Crysis on it which runs at 720p generally I believe, and guess, what, also looks fantastic! Maybe at times the half dozen graphically downgraded PS4/XB1 ports that are on Switch don't look crystal clear on a giant TV, I dunno I don't own those few games, but 99% of the time at least you're not ever gonna notice anything looking bad on a big ass 4k TV when playing Switch. So far I can confirm 720p and up is crystal clear as in you don't notice anything regarding resolution, it just looks great.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Slownenberg said:

Sorry I didn't realise you were playing on the most low tech, worst panel large 4K TV. Carry on.

First off didn't say that, but you're thanking me for proving my point? Okay, I'll take that! I hope you aren't trying to argue that better tech makes TV images worse...because that isn't in reality. So good luck with opposite day I guess haha.

Random_Matt said:
Conina said:

What's the distance between your eyes and the 24'' screen?

I'm a desktop gamer.

That doesn't answer the question.

But if you f.e. sit 1 meter / 3 feet from a 24''-monitor away (16:9 aspect, 1080p) it is about the same experience as sitting 3 meter / 9 feet from a 72''-monitor away (16:9 aspect, 1080p)

Same field of view, same resolution. 3 times the size and 3 times the distance are a wash:

I played Breath of the wild on my projector, 92" screen. It was not the sharpest game but still looked very good from 12 ft away (30 degree viewing angle)
Mario Oddessey also looked fantastic on my 65" 4K tv, Windwaker HD on the WiiU looks stunning as well on that screen.

I made a chart a while ago what tv size and distance corresponds to 20/20 vision

It plots the viewing angle you get at different distances for popular TV sizes.
They grey area is the recommended viewing angle for optimal immersion (SMPTE 30 to THX 40.04)
The horizontal lines with resolution mark which viewing angle corresponds to 20/20 vision.

20/20 vision is 30 cycles per degree = 60 pixels per degree.
1080p is 1920x1080. 1920 / 60 = 32 degree fov to stay below. (or above on the graph)

Breath of the wild runs at 900p while docked, thus perfectly fine at viewing angles up to 27 degrees. So yep, I did notice it being a bit softer at 12 ft from 92" (31 degree viewing angle) but it still looked great.

Click here if you want to know what viewing angle you play at
https://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html