By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rushed Video Game Platform Launches

Over the course of video game hardware, there have been platforms that have been rushed. Whether that rush was in North America, Japan, other regions, or worldwide. Signs of a rushed video game platform may include: high price, lack of compelling software, hardware failure, and other factors. Here are some platforms I think are rushed, but some are debatable. Let me know what you all think. Feel free to disagree or add other platforms.

Atari 5200

Despite launching 5 years after the 2600 (which is a good amount of time) the Atari 5200 had faulty controllers, a high $269 price tag, and few games in general. Most of the games did not look much better than the 2600.

Atari Jaguar

Atari sat the fourth generation out in terms of home consoles. They cancelled the Atari Panther. The Jaguar then was one of the first fifth generation consoles out there, launching in North America in November 1993. The machine still used cartridges instead of CDs and the architecture and software failed to impress. In theory, the Jaguar should've had as good of graphics if not better than the PS1.

Sega Saturn

Launching in the US by surprise four months ahead of time? $100 more than the PS1? No thanks.

Nintendo Game Boy Advance

The GBA launched less than 3 years after the Game Boy Color. Nintendo could've rode the Game Boy Color out longer.  The GBA really should've launched in 2002 or 2003 as what we know as the GBA SP. The clamshell design, rechargeable battery, and front-lit screen is better than the original GBA model.

Nintendo DS

I understand the DS was originally intended as a 3rd pillar, and not a traditional successor to the GBA (though that is what it became). The initial software lineup of the DS failed to impress, Wi-Fi didn't even launch until late 2005, and the $149.99 launch price was kind of steep. DS should've launched in mid to late 2005. Heck, maybe even 2006.

Xbox 360

The Xbox 360 launched only 4 years after the Xbox. I understand the Xbox was very costly, but the 360 had massive hardware failure early on. Microsoft really should've waited until late 2006 to launch the 360.

Nintendo 3DS

The 3DS launched without an eShop, a hefty $249.99 price tag, and a software library that failed to impress. It should've launched in mid to late 2011. The DS still had momentum and a library to keep it afloat longer, even if sales were declining.

Nintendo Wii U

The price was steep, and the first year of software wasn't anything very special. Virtual Console didn't exist at launch either.

Nintendo Switch

JoyCon Drift, Hardware shortages, The potential to scratch the screen on the rugged dock, and not many quality exclusives until the holiday season. I understand Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are huge, but they're not truly exclusive to the Switch. I got my Switch in July 2017, and was pretty bored with it until Christmas.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

PS3 at $600 not included?
but that console has good games and not hardware failures i think.

Saturn has no important games at launch.

PS3

Launched in 2006 with $500 and $600 price points due to being built around an expensive blu-ray player.  The PS2 was still selling extraordinarily well.  Sony could have saved themselves a ton of losses if they had waited until the technology became cheaper rather than burning through all of the PS2's profit by selling the PS3 at a substantial loss.

The Game Boy Color was seriously late for the 5th gen era, Nintendo should've made and shipped in the late 1995, from what i heard long time go, the fans asked for a Game Boy with color palettes however Nintendo misunderstood the feedback and shipped colored original Game Boy instead.

EDIT: I almost forgot, the Game Boy Advance SP was also rushed product, no sleep mode when you fold down the screen. This is what we got. xD

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 03 August 2020

Mandalore76 said:

PS3

Launched in 2006 with $500 and $600 price points due to being built around an expensive blu-ray player.  The PS2 was still selling extraordinarily well.  Sony could have saved themselves a ton of losses if they had waited until the technology became cheaper rather than burning through all of the PS2's profit by selling the PS3 at a substantial loss.

Rememeber Ylod?

It's the rushed console of all. Eat all profits sony has. If the PS4 failed, Sony would be out of the console market now. Just to demonstrate how the PS3 was a hurried project that hurt the company a lot.

Switch and DS is not a rushed product. The problems, the joycon drift, is a new tech. New tech always has minor problems, at a first. And DS, what problems have? 

GBA agreed, the GBA SP is the true version. 

Around the Network

Technically speaking... every single new platform is rushed. NEW, not iterative.

Unless you make the final production run samples of the hardware and test it out for like one year before you release it to consumers, it's rushed. Especially when you consider the non-iterative nature of console design.

Mandalore76 said:

PS3

I knew the PS3 was expensive, but when you mentioned those other factors I agree.

Honestly if Sony didn't use Blu-ray and cell architecture for the PS4 they could sell it for hundreds of dollars cheaper in 2006. Heck, they might even still be able to cram in PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility still. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'm sort of confused as to why the Switch and Playstation 3 are being mentioned. These are examples of flawed launches, not rushed ones. The Playstation 3 launch was literally delayed by almost 6 months. And the Switch's launch went smoothly, it just had a higher amount of hardware failings than your average Nintendo console (but not higher than say, the 360).

When it comes to rushed launches nothing touches the Saturn. They literally rushed the thing to market to get a head-start, so they didn't have the games and angered the store owners who were supposed to sell their systems. Others are botched, but none or so clearly rushed.

h2ohno said:
When it comes to rushed launches nothing touches the Saturn. They literally rushed the thing to market to get a head-start, so they didn't have the games and angered the store owners who were supposed to sell their systems. Others are botched, but none or so clearly rushed.

They also screwed up by completely leaving the biggest overall retailer in the US (Walmart), the biggest electronics retailer in the US (Best Buy), and the second biggest toy retailer in the US at the time (K-B) out of the loop. They went into full panic mode when Sony announced the $300 price tag on the PlayStation.

The Saturn in general was a complete basket case of a console that had issues well beyond its launch, starting with a complete disconnect between Sega of Japan and Sega of America. They should have listened to Tom Kalinske.