By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rushed Video Game Platform Launches

XSX in my opinion.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
XSX in my opinion.

Not rushed at all.

They just don't believe in generations anymore and figure XB1 games would be just fine for the XSX at 4K and maybe 120fps. 

Apparently that's what gamers really want these days.

Dreamcast was. It's Japan launch lineup in 1998 was not ready so it was pretty bare. Should have waited for a year for a worldwide launch. As much as I love DC. If I could retroactively change some things. I'd add DVD playback. A second analog stick and 24MB of the main ram on top of the 8MB of Vram. It was a well-designed console but just needed a little more oomph.

Saturn and 360 are the biggest offenders. Saturn was a great console of the Japanese library but man was it complex and a mess. Powerful but difficult to work with. I don't have articles from 2005 on a defunct website handy but as I recall DS was originally meant to be a dual-screen GBA. I can't confirm this tho. The rumblings of PSP's power in 2003 I believe left Nintendo to change the hardware to be a 3D machine fairly late. I think this is why a lot of 3rd party games early on did not look like anything better than a slightly enhanced GBA game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Dreamcast was. It's Japan launch lineup in 1998 was not ready so it was pretty bare. Should have waited for a year for a worldwide launch. As much as I love DC. If I could retroactively change some things. I'd add DVD playback. A second analog stick and 24MB of the main ram on top of the 8MB of Vram. It was a well-designed console but just needed a little more oomph.

Saturn and 360 are the biggest offenders. Saturn was a great console of the Japanese library but man was it complex and a mess. Powerful but difficult to work with. I don't have articles from 2005 on a defunct website handy but as I recall DS was originally meant to be a dual-screen GBA. I can't confirm this tho. The rumblings of PSP's power in 2003 I believe left Nintendo to change the hardware to be a 3D machine fairly late. I think this is why a lot of 3rd party games early on did not look like anything better than a slightly enhanced GBA game.

Sega should of waited for Broadband, dial up was super expensive back in the day.

PS Vita

The Vita launched in a perfect dead area, one year after the 3DS, and one year before the start of Gen 8. People had either already gotten invested in the 3DS, or were waiting for a true next gen experience. Not to mention this thing suffered from an identity crisis. All of its new features were already prominent on smart phones, which everyone already had, and for a while only really had a focus of offering slimmed down versions of PS4 games. 

also I feel the need to point out, a large part of why the Atari Jaguar failed was due to its marketing. It was being touted as the 'ultimate' gaming platform, being so amazing that if you didnt buy, you were basically an idiot. People werent exactly flattered being called stupid by an entertainment company

Around the Network

I don't understand why high prices make up for rushed releases. They might make the sale of the consoles more difficult but aren't necessarily an indicator of the manufacturers rushing to launch their machines as quick as they can.

Late SEGA consoles are great examples of rushed releases but the PS3 and Wii U don't convince me.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Mandalore76 said:

PS3

Launched in 2006 with $500 and $600 price points due to being built around an expensive blu-ray player.  The PS2 was still selling extraordinarily well.  Sony could have saved themselves a ton of losses if they had waited until the technology became cheaper rather than burning through all of the PS2's profit by selling the PS3 at a substantial loss.

All other reasons are understandable and correct imo, but waiting fot the technology to be cheaper? Cmon, one of the selling points of consoles is to have better hardware than competition. If they wait for tech to be cheaper, then they will lost a huge share of the market for this simple reason.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Leynos said:

Dreamcast also wasn't helped by Bernie Stolar's outright disdain for the Saturn. He said at E3 1997 that "The Saturn is not our future." He actually wasn't wrong, but lot of third party developers and Saturn consumers were really pissed off about what Stolar said. It did poison the well a bit for the Dreamcast, especially in light of how the Saturn had followed the Sega CD and 32X, two other platforms that Sega dumped pretty quickly with little support. At that point Sega had painted a pretty clear picture of itself as a company that couldn't guarantee a long-term install base. If Sega couldn't be bothered to support their own platform, why should anybody else support it?

Nintendo was sweating bullets about the PSP. It was a pretty impressive little gadget, and people thought it was going to repeat the PS2's success in the handheld front, which would have led to complete ruin for Nintendo. It even had Grand Theft Auto on it. I got a DS in its launch year, but didn't know what to make of it. The DS turned out to be a really good handheld in the end.

Random_Matt said:
Leynos said:

Sega should of waited for Broadband, dial up was super expensive back in the day.

Sega didn't have enough money to survive enough to see broadband become a standard without a home console. They might as well not have bothered with the Dreamcast and just done Virtua Fighter and Sonic Adventure as PS2 launch titles in that scenario. They'd also have been going head to head against the Xbox by that point.

SanAndreasX said:
Leynos said:

Dreamcast also wasn't helped by Bernie Stolar's outright disdain for the Saturn. He said at E3 1997 that "The Saturn is not our future." He actually wasn't wrong, but lot of third party developers and Saturn consumers were really pissed off about what Stolar said. It did poison the well a bit for the Dreamcast, especially in light of how the Saturn had followed the Sega CD and 32X, two other platforms that Sega dumped pretty quickly with little support. At that point Sega had painted a pretty clear picture of itself as a company that couldn't guarantee a long-term install base. If Sega couldn't be bothered to support their own platform, why should anybody else support it?

Nintendo was sweating bullets about the PSP. It was a pretty impressive little gadget, and people thought it was going to repeat the PS2's success in the handheld front, which would have led to complete ruin for Nintendo. It even had Grand Theft Auto on it. I got a DS in its launch year, but didn't know what to make of it. The DS turned out to be a really good handheld in the end.

Random_Matt said:

Sega didn't have enough money to survive enough to see broadband become a standard without a home console. They might as well not have bothered with the Dreamcast and just done Virtua Fighter and Sonic Adventure as PS2 launch titles in that scenario. They'd also have been going head to head against the Xbox by that point.

Well if DC was somehow able to get DVD it would have greatly helped esp in Japan where PS2 was primarily bought as a DVD player with Matrix in 2000. One thing SEGA could have done entirely is what they planned to do with Sony for Saturn but with MS this round. License their name and have MS make the system. SEGA tried to do that with Saturn and Sony but those talks fell apart. SEGA's name in 1999 which still meant something with MS money.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

based on the percentage of faulty hardware?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.