By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rushed Video Game Platform Launches

yes, it was expensive but ambitous,  but it was future proof as well, look at xbox 360 inital version, no hdmi (just component video), no wifi (needed adaptor), dvd rom based (hd dvd add was a failure, but nothing to do with ms, however, high capicity hd dvd would be useful in games), compare to ps3 at start, bluray, wifi, standard 2.5" hdd, hdmi, very future proof, esp in recent years as newer tv sometimes don't have component video, 



Around the Network

playstation classic, obviously designed by non gamers and was rushed, horrible system, they should off reshelled ps vita and added 2nd usb, would off should significantly better and with psn store as well.



Soren0079 said:
I feel like the DS launched at the perfect time, before the touchscreen phones took over. They probably wouldn't have happend that early without the DS.
The Jaguar had a bad launch because IBM only shipped 5000 consoles instead of 1 million and thus they didn't have the money to save the company. Delaying the console would have closed their doors and IBM failing meant they shut down anyway. This failure led to the rushing of the CD addon and the lack of an updated controller and the loss of Rayman as an exclusive mascot.

Phones didn't take over as much as 3DS just dropped the ball. It was overly expensive, tiny, and had no games. Had they launched with a $150 2DS XL in winter 2011 they would have done way better. Glasses free 3D dragged the 3DS down in much the same way that the tablet controller dragged the Wii U down. Without either gimmick both the DS successor and the Wii U would have been affordable systems.

The_Liquid_Laser said:


SNES
The Super Famicom was definitely a successful system, but it was also rushed, at least in Japan.  NEC and Sega had already released their next gen systems and Nintendo had to play catch up to get out their 16bit system.  Super Mario World definitely felt rushed even though it was still a good game.  I mean in Mario 3 the big new powerup is a Racoon Tail where you fly, while in Super Mario World the big new power up was...a cape...where you fly.  Wait isn't that the same thing?  Yeah, definitely a rush job.

Super Mario World was rushed? They worked on that thing for 2-3 years. It was ready for launch, and IMO is one of the 5 masterpieces of the SNES. The other four being Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Super Metroid, and A Link to the Past.



Virtual Boy.

Had they released it as effectively the same thing but with an 8-bit color palette (heck, I think even 4-bit would've sufficed), I think it would have done vastly better than it did.

It also had a bad form-factor - if it had headstraps like modern VR systems, it would've been more palatable.

Both of these issues probably would've been resolved with a longer dev period, but it is what it is.



 SW-5120-1900-6153

mjk45 said:
Leynos said:
Dreamcast was. It's Japan launch lineup in 1998 was not ready so it was pretty bare. Should have waited for a year for a worldwide launch. As much as I love DC. If I could retroactively change some things. I'd add DVD playback. A second analog stick and 24MB of the main ram on top of the 8MB of Vram. It was a well-designed console but just needed a little more oomph.

Saturn and 360 are the biggest offenders. Saturn was a great console of the Japanese library but man was it complex and a mess. Powerful but difficult to work with. I don't have articles from 2005 on a defunct website handy but as I recall DS was originally meant to be a dual-screen GBA. I can't confirm this tho. The rumblings of PSP's power in 2003 I believe left Nintendo to change the hardware to be a 3D machine fairly late. I think this is why a lot of 3rd party games early on did not look like anything better than a slightly enhanced GBA game.

The problem with Saturn was it was built with 2D in mind but when they got wind of the PS1 and it's 3D polygon approach.they changed the Saturn to dual processors and that lead to as you put it a complex mess , they should have delayed it and added a singe 3D capable processor.

Funny thing is they were in talks with Sony to develop the Saturn before that.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
mjk45 said:

The problem with Saturn was it was built with 2D in mind but when they got wind of the PS1 and it's 3D polygon approach.they changed the Saturn to dual processors and that lead to as you put it a complex mess , they should have delayed it and added a single 3D capable processor.

Funny thing is they were in talks with Sony to develop the Saturn before that.

 After the Nintendo deal fell through Sony and Sega talked about a partnership but it wasn't specific to the Saturn, and Sega knocked it back,the stumbling blocks were from Sega's side. they feared with Sony's strength in hardware they would soon become the junior partner when it came to hardware and would basically be consigned to the software side also when asked to commit there and then over dinner, Sony's Chairman rather than answer would change the subject by talking about his travels, from Sony's side Kutaragi and associates were firm in the belief that they should do it themselves , so that's what came to pass and Namco became in their own words a de facto  2nd party for PS1 writing the majority of the libraries in conjunction with Sony and receiving preferential treatment.



Cerebralbore101 said:
Soren0079 said:
I feel like the DS launched at the perfect time, before the touchscreen phones took over. They probably wouldn't have happend that early without the DS.
The Jaguar had a bad launch because IBM only shipped 5000 consoles instead of 1 million and thus they didn't have the money to save the company. Delaying the console would have closed their doors and IBM failing meant they shut down anyway. This failure led to the rushing of the CD addon and the lack of an updated controller and the loss of Rayman as an exclusive mascot.

Phones didn't take over as much as 3DS just dropped the ball. It was overly expensive, tiny, and had no games. Had they launched with a $150 2DS XL in winter 2011 they would have done way better. Glasses free 3D dragged the 3DS down in much the same way that the tablet controller dragged the Wii U down. Without either gimmick both the DS successor and the Wii U would have been affordable systems.

The_Liquid_Laser said:


SNES
The Super Famicom was definitely a successful system, but it was also rushed, at least in Japan.  NEC and Sega had already released their next gen systems and Nintendo had to play catch up to get out their 16bit system.  Super Mario World definitely felt rushed even though it was still a good game.  I mean in Mario 3 the big new powerup is a Racoon Tail where you fly, while in Super Mario World the big new power up was...a cape...where you fly.  Wait isn't that the same thing?  Yeah, definitely a rush job.

Super Mario World was rushed? They worked on that thing for 2-3 years. It was ready for launch, and IMO is one of the 5 masterpieces of the SNES. The other four being Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Super Metroid, and A Link to the Past.

They worked on it 2 years while also working on Link to the Past.  There is a 2 year gap between Mario 3 and World.  There is a 4 year gap between Zelda 2 and Link to the Past.  Considering that Mario World was the first game released on brand new technology, yeah it was rushed.  Most people who lived through the NES and SNES eras will say that Mario 3 is better.  Mario World mostly seems exceptional, because its the only new Mario game on the SNES.

Speaking personally, Mario 3 feels a lot more polished than Mario World.  Mario World is too easy and isn't as densely packed with secrets like Mario 3.  It's still a good game, not denying that, but it feels rushed.



The_Liquid_Laser said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Phones didn't take over as much as 3DS just dropped the ball. It was overly expensive, tiny, and had no games. Had they launched with a $150 2DS XL in winter 2011 they would have done way better. Glasses free 3D dragged the 3DS down in much the same way that the tablet controller dragged the Wii U down. Without either gimmick both the DS successor and the Wii U would have been affordable systems.

Super Mario World was rushed? They worked on that thing for 2-3 years. It was ready for launch, and IMO is one of the 5 masterpieces of the SNES. The other four being Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Super Metroid, and A Link to the Past.

They worked on it 2 years while also working on Link to the Past.  There is a 2 year gap between Mario 3 and World.  There is a 4 year gap between Zelda 2 and Link to the Past.  Considering that Mario World was the first game released on brand new technology, yeah it was rushed.  Most people who lived through the NES and SNES eras will say that Mario 3 is better.  Mario World mostly seems exceptional, because its the only new Mario game on the SNES.

Speaking personally, Mario 3 feels a lot more polished than Mario World.  Mario World is too easy and isn't as densely packed with secrets like Mario 3.  It's still a good game, not denying that, but it feels rushed.

Source for them working on both games at the same time?



Cerebralbore101 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

They worked on it 2 years while also working on Link to the Past.  There is a 2 year gap between Mario 3 and World.  There is a 4 year gap between Zelda 2 and Link to the Past.  Considering that Mario World was the first game released on brand new technology, yeah it was rushed.  Most people who lived through the NES and SNES eras will say that Mario 3 is better.  Mario World mostly seems exceptional, because its the only new Mario game on the SNES.

Speaking personally, Mario 3 feels a lot more polished than Mario World.  Mario World is too easy and isn't as densely packed with secrets like Mario 3.  It's still a good game, not denying that, but it feels rushed.

Source for them working on both games at the same time?

Do you have the issues of Nintendo Power around 89-90?  They had been talking about "Zelda 3" for years before it was actually released.  You can also compare the Wikipedia pages between Mario World and ALttP and see several of the same key people working on both games: Takahashi Tezuka, Shigeru Miyamoto, Toshihiko Nagako.

EDIT: Actually found this quote in the wikipedia page for ALttP, "In 1988, development of a new NES Zelda began, but one year later, the project was brought to Nintendo's next console; the Super Famicom in Japan, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in other regions."

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 13 August 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Source for them working on both games at the same time?

Do you have the issues of Nintendo Power around 89-90?  They had been talking about "Zelda 3" for years before it was actually released.  You can also compare the Wikipedia pages between Mario World and ALttP and see several of the same key people working on both games: Takahashi Tezuka, Shigeru Miyamoto, Toshihiko Nagako.

EDIT: Actually found this quote in the wikipedia page for ALttP, "In 1988, development of a new NES Zelda began, but one year later, the project was brought to Nintendo's next console; the Super Famicom in Japan, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in other regions."

Do you know the exact Nintendo Power issues? Wikipedia's sources on the issue either lead to dead webpages, or don't exist anymore.