By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The console war is over

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

Going the lenght... is the console sales important or not to MS? From Phil statements for me they don't care or focus on that anymore (probably because they can't claim a win on it and stopped giving numbers since the "nearing 10M sales") and are looking on how to expand GP and make XCloud the future. So I'm not saying Phil was lying on this, but that people that say that isn't what he mean are the ones on the wrong.

And about PC releases impacting sales of Xbox consoles well you are going to disprove Major Nelson himself, and possibly his intel on this is better than yours.

But don't try to defend the two standards of Phil Spencer on locking people out due to generation or device then later paying for exclusives, he have been complaining about paid exclusive ever since he had a hard time doing it after Tomb Raider because of the disparity on userbase, but he never stopped doing it for real. He is just the "good guy" to promote himself and cry over competition.

Since when is a standalone spin-off meant to be flagship? Even more, Spiderman was a first release by Insomniac and the company was recently bought, plus the spin-off is coming not that long after the release of the previous one. Trying to compare it with Halo Infinite is trying to favour Xbox the most, and still Miles Morales still looks better than Halo and Sony didn't need to tout it as being built ground up to PS5 or that they have the strongest system ever... guess which company needed to "listen closely" after backlash from fanbase?

"The most ambitious campaign", seem like you took straight from MS playbook, a lot of hype and then where is the game to show it?

And we haven't seem the people that have been attacking Goopy for the last couple months saying Halo Infinite would look next-gen and not be held up at all by the Xbox One version right?

I'm pretty sure that before this event people were expecting Halo Infinite to be a showcase of the power of Xbox Series X, it is the main title of Xbox since it inception.

Id like you to point out where anyone said that Halo was 100% going to look next gen, i dont remember it that way. I do remember people including myself pointing out to Goopy that engines can scale and that Halo Inf could look next gen but that doesn't = Halo looking next gen. <-- I also still stand by that statement as the has been plenty of cross gen games in the past that wasnt held back by the gen before it. Also Goopys main statement was that "Every exclusive" would be held back by xbox one. How many exclusives was held back by Xbox One?. How many exclusives was even shown that is also going to be on XBOne?. Now his narrative is that PC will hold back the games. where has PC ever held back any game?. Its always the other way around.

You could go for the many threads where Goopy and Ludicrous have bickered about this, and the many time others also brought official info from MS or 343 saying Halo was being brought ground up to take advantage of Series X power and that it wasn't being held down by One. And also all the titles that were also releasing on One in the presentation as far as I remember didn't look as good as the ones that were full next gen be it on Sony or MS presentation.

On the case of Halo it is even worst, it isn't that it looks crossgen, it looks current gen even running on a PC that should be representative of Series X. So we are like couple months of the game turning gold and it isn't running on Series X and looks current gen, that will be a very hard polish to do, and I do hope they manage it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

I'll have to disagree because no game show at the MS conference got anywhere near Horizon 2 Forbidden West and even some of the other games there. Sure MS can use the power of Series X to have games looking even better than that, but they didn't yet.

Horizon was only an In Engine Trailer. if thats how it is i think Hellblade 2 looked just as good also forza looked just as good if not better, Then we have MS Flight Sim. Both shows had some stand out quality games. But for Goopy to be trying to push the narrative that all Series X Exclusives are being held back is plan false.

Flight Simulator wasn't on the conference.

HellBlade 2 wasn't on the conference (and it is a good looker but not better than Horizon 2).

Forza looked good, on trailer it looked better than Gran Turismo 7, but that is what one expect of racing games, they look almost a gen ahead of them, have been like that perhaps ever since PS1 and GT1.

Again from what we know Hellblade 2 and Forza won't have X1 versions will they?

Sure Goopy have been exaggerating and spouting some non-sense, but he wasn't as wrong or out as people who were attacking him made it seem.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

You could go for the many threads where Goopy and Ludicrous have bickered about this, and the many time others also brought official info from MS or 343 saying Halo was being brought ground up to take advantage of Series X power and that it wasn't being held down by One. And also all the titles that were also releasing on One in the presentation as far as I remember didn't look as good as the ones that were full next gen be it on Sony or MS presentation.

On the case of Halo it is even worst, it isn't that it looks crossgen, it looks current gen even running on a PC that should be representative of Series X. So we are like couple months of the game turning gold and it isn't running on Series X and looks current gen, that will be a very hard polish to do, and I do hope they manage it.

Still wasnt every Series X exclusive . Still doesnt make them look bad and still doesnt mean that a game cant be cross gen and also look next gen. Halo looking the way it does is a developer choice.

Sure a crossgen can look next gen, that is actually what is expected, reason why I just singled out Halo on looking current gen. The other titles looked crossgen to nextgen, but still they didn't look as good as the only next gen games shown.

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure a crossgen can look next gen, that is actually what is expected, reason why I just singled out Halo on looking current gen. The other titles looked crossgen to nextgen, but still they didn't look as good as the only next gen games shown.

Out of the games that was shown to be also coming to XBOne how many of them was AAA??. Clearly an A-AA budget game isnt going to look as good as a AAA game. and Goopy was still proving wrong as it seems to be mostly only first party A-AA games with the exception of Halo (That i can think of) thats cross gen so far. So no need to worry about XBOne holding back anything. Except now his trying to say PC is :-/ .

I didn't made notes. But I said this on a previous thread. Considering the pace of MS and that most of the studios were recent acquisition that talk about they being crossgen for the next 2 years was basically smoke and mirrors as almost all their relevant games would take more than that to release.

So basically MS just tried to purchase some good PR knowing their only relevant game wouldn't look nextgen anyway so claiming they are being consumer friendly was the best tactics to hide the shortcomings of their lineup.

derpysquirtle64 said:
sales2099 said:

The contrary is that AAA like Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 show no evidence of being lesser then their predecessors.

Yes, but unfortunately both doubled down in awful MTX stuff compared to their predecessors which is obviously the worst monetization practice and cancer of gaming currently. Wouldn't say that GamePass is the reason but the point still stands.

Forza Horizon 4 doubled down in awful MTX stuff compared to Forza Horizon 3?

Both have two awesome expansions and all added FH4-story-missions and show-races were totally free. With Forza rewards you get millions of ingame credits for free, so you can afford any of the over 500 cars of the main game.

And if that number of cars ain't enough, you can buy some optional car packs... but FH3 sold more of these car packs.

Around the Network

Horizon 4 has awful micro transactions? Did they add these recently? I played the game and ton and never saw any. Nothing like FH3 or FM7 at launch.

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

Going the lenght... is the console sales important or not to MS? From Phil statements for me they don't care or focus on that anymore (probably because they can't claim a win on it and stopped giving numbers since the "nearing 10M sales") and are looking on how to expand GP and make XCloud the future. So I'm not saying Phil was lying on this, but that people that say that isn't what he mean are the ones on the wrong.

And about PC releases impacting sales of Xbox consoles well you are going to disprove Major Nelson himself, and possibly his intel on this is better than yours.

But don't try to defend the two standards of Phil Spencer on locking people out due to generation or device then later paying for exclusives, he have been complaining about paid exclusive ever since he had a hard time doing it after Tomb Raider because of the disparity on userbase, but he never stopped doing it for real. He is just the "good guy" to promote himself and cry over competition.

Since when is a standalone spin-off meant to be flagship? Even more, Spiderman was a first release by Insomniac and the company was recently bought, plus the spin-off is coming not that long after the release of the previous one. Trying to compare it with Halo Infinite is trying to favour Xbox the most, and still Miles Morales still looks better than Halo and Sony didn't need to tout it as being built ground up to PS5 or that they have the strongest system ever... guess which company needed to "listen closely" after backlash from fanbase?

"The most ambitious campaign", seem like you took straight from MS playbook, a lot of hype and then where is the game to show it?

And we haven't seem the people that have been attacking Goopy for the last couple months saying Halo Infinite would look next-gen and not be held up at all by the Xbox One version right?

I'm pretty sure that before this event people were expecting Halo Infinite to be a showcase of the power of Xbox Series X, it is the main title of Xbox since it inception.

Id like you to point out where anyone said that Halo was 100% going to look next gen, i dont remember it that way. I do remember people including myself pointing out to Goopy that engines can scale and that Halo Inf could look next gen but that doesn't = Halo looking next gen. <-- I also still stand by that statement as the has been plenty of cross gen games in the past that wasnt held back by the gen before it. Also Goopys main statement was that "Every exclusive" would be held back by xbox one. How many exclusives was held back by Xbox One?. How many exclusives was even shown that is also going to be on XBOne?. Now his narrative is that PC will hold back the games. where has PC ever held back any game?. Its always the other way around.

PC never held console games back before because we've never had consoles launch with specs that rival expensive high-end gaming PCs. When the ps4/Xone came out, they were already pretty dated. Even if you were still using a gpu weaker than what's in the ps4/Xone, you could just buy something like a GTX760 for like $150 back in 2014. And to this day, you would still be able to play all of the multiplatform games at similar graphics settings as the console versions.

Next gen that will be a different story as a RTX2080, NVME SSD (and probably a new cpu) are pretty expensive upgrades. Like I said many times before, GP's success is totally dependent on reaching the bulk of the PC gamers, and the average gaming pc will have some catching up to do if you look at the specs of Series X. MAybe that'll happen in 1 year, but it can also take 3 or 4 years. Who knows really? All we know is that, in the meantime, its in MS best interest to not see games designed around high-end pc specs, as nobody on GP would be able to play them. Its probably why all the games they showed are still so early in production and why most of MS's studios are doing "passion projects" in the meantime.

Just ask yourself when you think we'll see full blown next gen titles on GP? We typically get 1 or 2 years of cross-gen titles from 3rd party developers and it takes another 1 or 2 years before they'll show up on GP, if at all. Next gen could be halfway over before we'll see that happen. That's why it should be the 1st party games leading the charge into next gen, but MS isn't even showing up for the first 2 years. With the ps5, Sony doesn't have to consider any other platforms and my guess is that they'll be looking the push the visual envelope early.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 03 August 2020

zero129 said:
goopy20 said:

PC never held console games back before because we've never had consoles launch with specs that rival expensive high-end gaming PCs. When the ps4/Xone came out, they were already pretty dated. Even if you were still using a gpu weaker than what's in the ps4/Xone, you could just buy something like a GTX760 for like $150 back in 2014. And to this day, you would still be able to play all of the multiplatform games at similar graphics settings as the console versions.

Next gen that will be a different story as a RTX2080, NVME SSD (and probably a new cpu) are pretty expensive upgrades. Like I said many times before, GP's success is totally dependent on reaching the bulk of the PC gamers, and the average gaming pc will have some catching up to do if you look at the specs of Series X. MAybe that'll happen in 1 year, but it can also take 3 or 4 years. Who knows really? All we know is that, in the meantime, its in MS best interest to not see games designed around high-end pc specs, as nobody on GP would be able to play them. Its probably why all the games they showed are still so early in production and why most of MS's studios are doing "passion projects" in the meantime.

Just ask yourself when you think we'll see full blown next gen titles on GP? We typically get 1 or 2 years of cross-gen titles from 3rd party developers and it takes another 1 or 2 years before they'll show up on GP, if at all. Next gen could be halfway over before we'll see that happen. That's why it should be the 1st party games leading the charge into next gen, but MS isn't even showing up for the first 2 years. With the ps5, Sony doesn't have to consider any other platforms and my guess is that they'll be looking the push the visual envelope early.

By the time the consoles launch they will already be outdated by PC hardware just like every other gen.

XB360 and PS3 Both had a much more substantial jump from Xbox-PS2 to 360-PS3 then we are seeing now. They where doing things like multi Core Cpus when most PC users where lucky to be using a dual core cpu, The 360 (Pam can explain this better then me) had a GPU that its PC equivalent wasn't even on the market for PC until a few months later. This would of had a much more bigger impact then a faster SSD. and to match the 360 graphics would of took a pretty high spec PC on release.

None of that still meant PC held them back as the was no games on launch that took full advantage of the 360 or PS3, the games have options that People who didn't have specs matching the consoles could turn down or off. they could lower res etc. But none of that still mattered since by the time we got games that took advantage of the 360-PS3 you could build a pc that would far exceed them for the same price. Nothing changes here only that you seem to know nothing about how the PC Market has been for years if you somehow think this console gen is going to change anything and somehow means PC is going to be holding back the next gen consoles.

Well, I'm not expecting a jump from ps2 to ps3, but I am hoping to see a bigger jump than from the ps3 to ps4. 

Traditionally, games have always been designed first and foremost for consoles. So, of course, pc didn't held anything back. PC requirements just went up to match or exceed what was in these consoles. Next gen MS is doing things different, though. They aren't forcing anyone to upgrade and want people to be able to play their games on current gen and pc's with far weaker specs than their next gen console. 

In the end, the average gaming pc will always catch up with new consoles. In the past we had the $200 8800GT that was released around the same time as the ps3 and you could buy a GTX660 (also for around $200) when the ps4 came out. But will we see RTX2080 like performance on pc for $200 as well? I highly doubt it, but I guess we'll see when AMD and Nvidia announce their new gpu's.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 03 August 2020

goopy20 said:

In the end, the average gaming pc will always catch up with new consoles. In the past we had the $200 8800GT that was released around the same time as the ps3 and you could buy a GTX660 (also for around $200) when the ps4 came out. But will we see RTX2080 like performance on pc for $200 as well? I highly doubt it, but I guess we'll see when AMD and Nvidia announce their new gpu's.

Here we go again...

The 8800 GT was available 12 months AFTER the PS3 launch (and 24 months AFTER the Xbox 360 launch).

The 8800 GTX which launched at the same time as the PS3 launch (and still 12 months AFTER the Xbox 360 launch) costed $600.

The console wars may be over but the platform wars have just begun. XCloud vs Stadia vs PlayStation Now. Gamepass vs Playstation Plus. Steam vs Epic Games Store. Uplay vs Origin (lol), Switch vs Apple Arcade vs Android. They all want you in their subscription model or store front...