By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 - Customisable snap-On / Snap Off - Wings (side panels)

Looking forwards to swapping the colours of the PS5?

Yes! 16 76.19%

I love the white/black combo, so no! 5 23.81%

Total:21

If this is true then this actually gives me hope.  Not for the pictured console (although solid black makes it harder to see in the dark), but because there might eventually be different shaped side panels, ones that are more flush with the center part of the console giving it less of a giant router look.  Might make the console tolerable looking to me (when it's standing anyway).

At least the controller looks fine now.

Around the Network

The default plates are fine. But this is an awesome feature considering the default color of PS2, PS3, and PS4 is black. I would really like red, blue, green, and orange snap-on plates.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I love the white panels/black core look. Even if I didn't, I highly doubt I'd ever spend money on new panels. Aside from plastering my ColecoVision with A-team stickers, decorating/customizing my console isn't something I've cared to do. Kinda neat that it's a thing though. I guess.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

That's pretty cool. Would like to see an all black PS5.

How would this work with the disc version though. Isn’t the bulge on that one part of the part with the disc drive? Also, if this is possible, why wouldn’t you just toss those flaps out altogether.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
How would this work with the disc version though. Isn’t the bulge on that one part of the part with the disc drive? Also, if this is possible, why wouldn’t you just toss those flaps out altogether.

Probably still just an outer shell around the drive. 360 did the same thing. PS5 might slide off or be a pain but still doable.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

It's interesting to me that people spend money to change the appearance of a box that will sit under their TV. I can see why someone would do it to a controller, as they'll see it all the time. But, how often does one even look at a modern console, especially now that so much is digital? I think I maybe touch mine 8-10 times per system, per year. I basically never look at them.

Am I the only one who gets flashbacks to early 2000 cellphones which had exchangeable covers?

Would really make it easy to pop off and paint, then pop back on. Depends on how much aftermarket panels end up costing.

Plasti Dip cans are pretty cheap and if you don't like the look down the road, you can just peel it off and have it be stock white again or change colors.

Pretty sure they have gunmetal and graphite Dip colors as well. Exactly the type of look I'm thinking for the panels.

Well, if true, this would help ameliorate at least some of my critique of the PS5's aesthetic (see: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242643/rate-the-look-of-the-ps5/11/#5)

That said, I wonder how well it would be supported. Unfortunately, I don't think Sony *always* does well on the peripheral support front. While it was an accessory and not a core product, the first PlayStation Gold Headset had this same feature. I remember noticing this when I first bought the headset, and I don't think I ever saw a single replacement plate available. I liked the stock color scheme just fine, but I did have friends who were disappointed.

For those who are unsure as to what I'm talking about, here's the manual (pg. 4): https://www.playstation.com/en-nz/content/dam/support/manuals/scee/web-manuals/peripherals/ps4/wireless-stereo-headset-20/instructions-manual/CECHYA-0083_Wirless%20Stereo%20Headset%202.0_InstructionManual_EN_Web.pdf/

And here's a photo: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1xc0te/gold_wireless_headset_has_removable_and/

So, hopefully, if this really is a feature, the difference between status of products leads to a difference in support...at least for those who are not inclined to do custom paint jobs :D

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Am I the only one who gets flashbacks to early 2000 cellphones which had exchangeable covers?

No. I also miss being able to access/replace the battery. At least my Xperia still has a 3.5mm jack!

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall