Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 - Customisable snap-On / Snap Off - Wings (side panels)

Looking forwards to swapping the colours of the PS5?

Yes! 16 76.19%

I love the white/black combo, so no! 5 23.81%

Total:21

If this is true then this actually gives me hope.  Not for the pictured console (although solid black makes it harder to see in the dark), but because there might eventually be different shaped side panels, ones that are more flush with the center part of the console giving it less of a giant router look.  Might make the console tolerable looking to me (when it's standing anyway).

At least the controller looks fine now.

Around the Network

Well dammit. One reason why I was going to wait is gone. And ya know, everything the last few gens has been black. Such a standard color, wonder how it would look in a nice deep gray. I'm gonna hold out for something more official though, the red lighting is throwing me off. Sony has been 'blue' since the PS2. Not that they couldn't change it or toss in a special LED like they did the DS4.

The white is great but you need to care for it a lot.

The default plates are fine. But this is an awesome feature considering the default color of PS2, PS3, and PS4 is black. I would really like red, blue, green, and orange snap-on plates.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I love the white panels/black core look. Even if I didn't, I highly doubt I'd ever spend money on new panels. Aside from plastering my ColecoVision with A-team stickers, decorating/customizing my console isn't something I've cared to do. Kinda neat that it's a thing though. I guess.

Chinese food for breakfast

Around the Network

That's pretty cool. Would like to see an all black PS5.

How would this work with the disc version though. Isn’t the bulge on that one part of the part with the disc drive? Also, if this is possible, why wouldn’t you just toss those flaps out altogether.

S.Peelman said:
How would this work with the disc version though. Isn’t the bulge on that one part of the part with the disc drive? Also, if this is possible, why wouldn’t you just toss those flaps out altogether.

Probably still just an outer shell around the drive. 360 did the same thing. PS5 might slide off or be a pain but still doable.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

It's interesting to me that people spend money to change the appearance of a box that will sit under their TV. I can see why someone would do it to a controller, as they'll see it all the time. But, how often does one even look at a modern console, especially now that so much is digital? I think I maybe touch mine 8-10 times per system, per year. I basically never look at them.

JRPGfan said:

Heres a fully black PS5:

https://bgr.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/ps5-dualsense-black-version-leak-1.jpg?quality=70&strip=all

The PS5 in this image was confirmed fake a couple weeks ago. 

The wings being taken off have been speculated about for a few months now. Seems it might be true.