By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 - Customisable snap-On / Snap Off - Wings (side panels)

Looking forwards to swapping the colours of the PS5?

Yes! 16 76.19%

I love the white/black combo, so no! 5 23.81%

Total:21

Leynos said:
I await the 3rd party ones on eBay for much cheaper. I did that for the PS4 HDD panel. I bought a blue one. Gimmie some of those translucent 90s colors!

That would look cool, I'd be down for some of that.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Leynos said:
I await the 3rd party ones on eBay for much cheaper. I did that for the PS4 HDD panel. I bought a blue one. Gimmie some of those translucent 90s colors!

Truth be told, if you have dimensions right now, and some sort of injection moulder/3D printer or access to one, you could very easily make like 1000 of these faceplates, put them up for sale on zone or amazon for $10-$20 and you would make a small fortune in the couple o months of release.

You need to be a company to do that and that will need some investing ofcourse :p

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I'd pop those white bits off and display mine plain. I kinda hate that wannabe futuristic look.

Twitter: @d21lewis

drkohler said:

I'm pretty sure that if the plates are customizable, there will be some fine print somewhere that basically tells you "Use knock offs - lose your guarantee". Being an integral part of the cooling solution, Sony must make sure that they don't get in trouble here.

I strongly doubt it, with stuff like this, the PS5 will basically just be the middle black part of the console. Everything else around that is just dressing. And we are talking about plastic shells here, even knock offs would be very easily dimensionally accurate. There would even be knockoffs that have more vent holes on the shell than the standard plates and claim "improved cooling".

Immersiveunreality said:

You need to be a company to do that and that will need some investing ofcourse :p

Not really, you don't need to be a company to sell on eBay or amazon ora few other online store outlets.

From a previous project, Iknow firs hand that with around a $10k investment you can make (including packaging) around 14k plastic forms. And the project I am referring to required forms burger than what would be required here in the PS5. They were kid sides monoblock plastic chairs.

What any kinda injection molding project, the most expensive part is actually getting the master mold, that's usually like $2k-$3k depending on size and complexity. From that point on, each individual mold cost around 50c. Again, depending on complexity and in this case, the quality of the plastic.

With a $10k investment, you can make around 10K PS5 faceplates easy, sell that shit on ebay for around $10/piece and make a return of around $100k.

The only downside to this is, and why I am not personally doing it, is that its easy to do (hence lots of competition), there are far more connected/established people ( or more specifically known brands eg. Nyko, Madcatz, Dbrand...etc) than you that would do it and have access to specifications directly from sony and what not. Also, you would have to be willing to go to china, or use an agent (in which cause you can just shave your margins by like a third).

d21lewis said:
I'd pop those white bits off and display mine plain. I kinda hate that wannabe futuristic look.

Haha... well, if this plays out like I expect it would, I am sure we would see faceplates with totally different shapes too. Baring the disc version, the PS5 is pretty much gong to b nothing more than a perfect rectangle. I have no doubt in my mind that we would see plants that make it look just as is without the collars and stuff. 

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 02 August 2020

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
drkohler said:

I'm pretty sure that if the plates are customizable, there will be some fine print somewhere that basically tells you "Use knock offs - lose your guarantee". Being an integral part of the cooling solution, Sony must make sure that they don't get in trouble here.

I strongly doubt it, with stuff like this, the PS5 will basically just be the middle black part of the console. Everything else around that is just dressing. And we are talking about plastic shells here, even knock offs would be very easily dimensionally accurate. There would even be knockoffs that have more vent holes on the shell than the standard plates and claim "improved cooling".

Immersiveunreality said:

Not really, you don't need to be a company to sell on eBay or amazon ora few other online store outlets.

From a previous project, Iknow firs hand that with around a $10k investment you can make (including packaging) around 14k plastic forms. And the project I am referring to required forms burger than what would be required here in the PS5. They were kid sides monoblock plastic chairs.

What any kinda injection molding project, the most expensive part is actually getting the master mold, that's usually like $2k-$3k depending on size and complexity. From that point on, each individual mold cost around 50c. Again, depending on complexity and in this case, the quality of the plastic.

With a $10k investment, you can make around 10K PS5 faceplates easy, sell that shit on ebay for around $10/piece and make a return of around $100k.

The only downside to this is, and why I am not personally doing it, is that its easy to do (hence lots of competition), there are far more connected/established people ( or more specifically known brands eg. Nyko, Madcatz, Dbrand...etc) than you that would do it and have access to specifications directly from sony and what not. Also, you would have to be willing to go to china, or use an agent (in which cause you can just shave your margins by like a third).

d21lewis said:

Haha... well, if this plays out like I expect it would, I am sure we would see faceplates with totally different shapes too. Baring the disc version, the PS5 is pretty much gong to b nothing more than a perfect rectangle. I have no doubt in my mind that we would see plants that make it look just as is without the collars and stuff. 

Where would you get plastic that cheap?

I'm unaware of laws regarding the place you live so that could be a difference,but to get the cheapest resources here you need to have a company otherwise only option is retail prices + heavy tax.

Immersiveunreality said:

Where would you get plastic that cheap?

I'm unaware of laws regarding the place you live so that could be a difference,but to get the cheapest resources here you need to have a company otherwise only option is retail prices + heavy tax.

First off, sorry about all the typos, my keyboard is acting up. And at times I am too lazy to proofread.

The simple answer to your question is; China. But don't just get the plastic there. Get everything there and have it shipped to you in a container. 

There are tons of companies in China that specialize in these things. injection-molded components with varying degrees of complexity. Either I material or design. There are even agents you can use and the entire process could be done over a couple of phone calls, emails, WhatsApp and/or skype. Or you can forgo the agents entirely and just travel there yourself. Probably save you a third of the revenue.

You can even make them there and sell them from china directly, just that it would cost you more for shipping and take longer getting to your customers, which could end up costing you even more cause you are losing a competitive advantage and YOU WILL have competition.

Seriously, take it from me, plastic is cheap lol. Another thing to consider is that you are looking at a BOM + Shipping cost of no more than $3 (here is a set of 6 plastic trays on amazon for $18 for eg) per faceplate. Including the packaging. No matter how bad taxes wanna be, you aren't gonna be spending more than another $3 on tax per item. So worst-case scenario you are $6/plate all in. And selling them for $10+, and this is an excessive estimate, you are more likely going to be at $4.50/faceplate replacement.

But as I said, this is a bad thing to get into, mostly because its too easy and there will be a lot of people doing it. And with companies like Dbrand and Nyko, that I can promise you already have case dimension and specs from sony right now (or at least would 2 months before release), there is no point. They have the tools, the connections, and the resources to do stuff we can't. And everyone would sooner buy a Dbrand faceplate for $15/$20 that has some awesome pattern or color than buy one from a nobody for $10.

d21lewis said:

I saw a render of that on YouTube a while ago. Can't remember who but it was kinda interesting. Looked pretty similar to my Samsung BD Player, which fits in nicely with the entertainment center while blending in discreetly. Would be a neat option for those who don't want the flashy advertised look. Though I think I'd keep the panels myself. Just spray paint them a darker color so it's much less flamboyant.

i want a ps1 grey palette

Just imagine the possibilities...