By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 - Customisable snap-On / Snap Off - Wings (side panels)

Looking forwards to swapping the colours of the PS5?

Yes! 16 76.19%

I love the white/black combo, so no! 5 23.81%

Total:21
JRPGfan said:
EricHiggin said:
Maybe different panels with different contours could be made available?

maybe... but air flow and stuff would change,..
I  think it most likely all you'll see is differnt colours.

I'd think it would make sense to have a SNY certification, like the aftermarket NVMe drives for PS5. That way you know for certain the panels don't restrict airflow.

I agree that colors seem like a no brainer, but contours would be something cool to follow colors up with, years into the gen.

Around the Network
GrahfsLament said:

That said, I wonder how well it would be supported. Unfortunately, I don't think Sony *always* does well on the peripheral support front. While it was an accessory and not a core product, the first PlayStation Gold Headset had this same feature. I remember noticing this when I first bought the headset, and I don't think I ever saw a single replacement plate available. I liked the stock color scheme just fine, but I did have friends who were disappointed.

With stuff like this sony wouldn't have to or need to lift a finger. It would actually be unwise for them to do so. There would be Chinese knock off $10 faceplates in every imaginable color and even sites like colorware that you can go and have custom plates painted and sent to you.

All sony has to do is make sure the RGB lights on the console are also user-customizable(in the OS) and then only release official IP tied faceplates. Now rather than sell special edition consoles, they just sell the same with special edition faceplates.

Or preorder xyz game on the PS store and get the limited edition faceplate shipped to you for free!!!

I don't get the point of the side panels. Why not just have it without them.  Looks like one of those retro McDonald's buildings that they used to build in the 90s.  I guess they are for airflow but one can design a console that has good airflow without that crap.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 01 August 2020

Intrinsic said:
GrahfsLament said:

That said, I wonder how well it would be supported. Unfortunately, I don't think Sony *always* does well on the peripheral support front. While it was an accessory and not a core product, the first PlayStation Gold Headset had this same feature. I remember noticing this when I first bought the headset, and I don't think I ever saw a single replacement plate available. I liked the stock color scheme just fine, but I did have friends who were disappointed.

With stuff like this sony wouldn't have to or need to lift a finger. It would actually be unwise for them to do so. There would be Chinese knock off $10 faceplates in every imaginable color and even sites like colorware that you can go and have custom plates painted and sent to you.

All sony has to do is make sure the RGB lights on the console are also user-customizable(in the OS) and then only release official IP tied faceplates. Now rather than sell special edition consoles, they just sell the same with special edition faceplates.

Or preorder xyz game on the PS store and get the limited edition faceplate shipped to you for free!!!

Certainly sounds plausible. Here's hoping, for those interested in this, that that's what happens. I could see Sony going either way on the lights (especially if the lights are used to signal the PS5's operating status like on the PS4), but I'd definitely like to see some color settings.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall

I await the 3rd party ones on eBay for much cheaper. I did that for the PS4 HDD panel. I bought a blue one. Gimmie some of those translucent 90s colors!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
I await the 3rd party ones on eBay for much cheaper. I did that for the PS4 HDD panel. I bought a blue one. Gimmie some of those translucent 90s colors!

Truth be told, if you have dimensions right now, and some sort of injection moulder/3D printer or access to one, you could very easily make like 1000 of these faceplates, put them up for sale on zone or amazon for $10-$20 and you would make a small fortune in the couple o months of release.

Intrinsic said:

Truth be told, if you have dimensions right now, and some sort of injection moulder/3D printer or access to one, you could very easily make like 1000 of these faceplates, put them up for sale on zone or amazon for $10-$20 and you would make a small fortune in the couple o months of release.

I'm pretty sure that if the plates are customizable, there will be some fine print somewhere that basically tells you "Use knock offs - lose your guarantee". Being an integral part of the cooling solution, Sony must make sure that they don't get in trouble here.

Leynos said:

That would look cool, I'd be down for some of that.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Intrinsic said:
Leynos said:

You need to be a company to do that and that will need some investing ofcourse :p

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.