Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo dominates handheld and hybrid industry, Sony dominates home consoles

The Nintendo Switch reached the milestone for the week ending July 18, 2020. The console sold 379,560 units to bring its lifetime sales to 60,025,435 units.

It has taken the Nintendo Switch 41 months to sell 60 million units worldwide. Comparing this rival consoles, it took the PlayStation 4 a total of 44 months to reach the milestone, while the Xbox One has yet to sell 50 million units worldwide. It did take the PlayStation 3 62 months and the Xbox 360 74 months.

I like Nintendo and Sony but more than this I love video games

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
mZuzek said:

The industry for consoles that can function both as home consoles and also portable ones. Nintendo does seem to be pretty dominant in that market I'd say

I don't know... the Switch sales aren't that impressive. Plus, I think they are about to fall off a cliff....

Impressive or not, 100% market share is a pretty dominant figure

I'll never understand why fanboys/girls love so much to circlejerking about their favorite game/movie/singer/whatever sucess

I normally just say that Nintendo dominates video games in general, but Sony is their most worthy competitor.  Nintendo has won 100% of handheld generations.  But for home generations Nintendo has won 3 and Sony has won 3.  Overall Nintendo dominates, but there is more money in home consoles, so Sony is definitely a worthy competitor.

At least, we're pretty clear on the stance he is taking there. Should we entertain the thought of another topic ? Now that is the question I'd like answered ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
At least, we're pretty clear on the stance he is taking there. Should we entertain the thought of another topic ? Now that is the question I'd like answered ...

You know, the fact that threads like these are being made at all is probably a good sign for VGC in general.

mZuzek said:
Mar1217 said:

You know, the fact that threads like these are being made at all is probably a good sign for VGC in general.

I sure thought the same when we were in the NX era of VGC. Imagine what this new start of a generation will bring ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Unfortunate the Nintendo Switch will never dominate the hybrid industry, because of the existence of the Spork, Grey Paint, H20, and the Manbearpig.

I have sensitive feelings on this matter.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:
Hybrid industry?

The industry for consoles that can function both as home consoles and also portable ones. Nintendo does seem to be pretty dominant in that market I'd say

sample size: 1

Seems solid to assume that Nintendo is and always will be dominant in that market.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter