By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo dominates handheld and hybrid industry, Sony dominates home consoles

I normally just say that Nintendo dominates video games in general, but Sony is their most worthy competitor.  Nintendo has won 100% of handheld generations.  But for home generations Nintendo has won 3 and Sony has won 3.  Overall Nintendo dominates, but there is more money in home consoles, so Sony is definitely a worthy competitor.

Around the Network

Unfortunate the Nintendo Switch will never dominate the hybrid industry, because of the existence of the Spork, Grey Paint, H20, and the Manbearpig.

I have sensitive feelings on this matter.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:
Hybrid industry?

The industry for consoles that can function both as home consoles and also portable ones. Nintendo does seem to be pretty dominant in that market I'd say

sample size: 1

Seems solid to assume that Nintendo is and always will be dominant in that market.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

That's a bold statement

Around the Network

We should all be happy. Nintendo makes money from Handheld/Hybrid, Sony from Home Console, and MS from GamePass over various devices. All three have found their corners of the market, through trial and error over the past few generations, and therefore will survive and flourish. The second console war (which started with PS1) has ended and, unlike the outcome of most wars, everyone is a winner! We've been saved from a second gaming crash because of it as well as from major studious going out of business.

The only thing that could end it is if they each go after each other's markets. If Sony or Nintendo made a GamePass system with major third party studios including first party lineup, or Sony/MS made a hybrid, or if MS/Nintendo tried to steal Sony's market by designing "only play it here" powerful devices, then the 3rd Console War would begin and a potential gaming crash could occur. LET THERE BE PEACE!

What hybrid industry? Who are the global hybrid industry players?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:

I don't know... the Switch sales aren't that impressive. Plus, I think they are about to fall off a cliff....

Impressive or not, 100% market share is a pretty dominant figure

I have to agree with that.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1