By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 120 million units to be shipped within 5 years, according to supply chain source.

Tagging this prediction for latter.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
JapaneseGamesLover said:

Sony is a professional company that successfully delivered play station consoles, without shortages.

Uh, yes. I assume that there were enough PS4 consoles at launch.

okr said:
Sony sold 9.2 million PS4s in Japan compared to 23.2 million PS2s.

Do these sources really think the largest PS ever will be "big in Japan"? Because for such an estimation to come true you’d need Japan.

The PS2 in Japan was 19,900 Yen by year 3, the PS4, like the PS3 never approached those prices.  If the PS4 retailed for 19,900 Yen in 2017, do you think sales would be higher?

JapaneseGamesLover said:
This site always underestimate the power of PlayStation. PS4 is just the warm-up to what is dropping in November. Nobody expected PS2 and PS4 to dominate like that, yet here we are.

Everyone expected PS2 to do well. It just came off the PS1. It had momentum.PS4 was clearly going to do well after the Wii U and XBO blunders. Stop acting like PS is some underdog.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Depending on the price, sure. Since they are a suplyer I guess they have an inside on the price. If it's at least the price of the ps4 $400 I see no problem in it reaching 120m.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
JapaneseGamesLover said:
Xxain said:
Waaaaaaay to early to be making these precise kinds of estimates. Who knows what the environment will be like next year, let alone 5.

There are multiple metrics to estimate demand even now.

1.google trends

2.pre-orders on the internet

Sony is a professional company that successfully delivered play station consoles, without shortages. They are already paying the supplier for a 120-170m units to be produced in the 5 years frame, so the supplier can have the kits in time.  So, they believe PS5 selling within that range in  5 years is  possible inside Sony Headquarters.

I mean, I guess everything is possible under the sun, but predicting how the market is going to react in 2025 based on Google trends and pre-orders from 2020 is... a little bit bold.

At first this "120M" PS5 in 5 years looked like complete bullshit, but... does shipped here means made for "normal users" or this shipped may include PS5 "made for Playstation Now cloud gaming" + Ps5 made for "Normal Users"?
I realy don't know how much cloud gaming will grow in the next years, but perhaps 80M ps5 for "normal users" and then 40M Ps5 for "PS Now cloud gaming"?

Anyway, still think 120M in 5 years is bullshit, but making Ps5s for PS Now Cloud Gaming may explain thigs a bit...

JapaneseGamesLover said:
Xxain said:
Waaaaaaay to early to be making these precise kinds of estimates. Who knows what the environment will be like next year, let alone 5.

There are multiple metrics to estimate demand even now.

1.google trends

2.pre-orders on the internet

Sony is a professional company that successfully delivered play station consoles, without shortages. They are already paying the supplier for a 120-170m units to be produced in the 5 years frame, so the supplier can have the kits in time.  So, they believe PS5 selling within that range in  5 years is  possible inside Sony Headquarters.

Going only by those, PS3 would have handily beaten the PS2 sales back in the day. That's just not enough to base long-term projections upon.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 28 July 2020

*I think the PS5 will sell as well or a little less than the Nintendo Switch

BOLLOCKS said:
PS5 $299 confirmed.

PS5 150$ confirmed. Only way. And then Sony go third party.