Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 120 million units to be shipped within 5 years, according to supply chain source.

Time will tell, but I have no doubt ps5 will be very successful. I’m sure they will outsell Xbox again by 2:1 because Microsoft are not making people upgrade to play all games in the next 2 years so I can see that having a big effect in the long run for them.

Around the Network

Even if it's possible to manufacture that many, there's virtually no way PS5 would even need 120 million units in 5 years. I'm pretty sure it won't even need that much in its entire lifetime.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

If it is in any way more expensive then PS4 was at launch then that’s just not going to happen. But also if cheaper options like Xbox Lockhart are official it’ll but a damper in growth in markets like North and South America and UK. Even if the market share in those regions are close it won’t be the same snowball effect as this gen was for PS4. 

In other news, Nintendo will ship another 100 million Switches in the next three years, and continue shipping 10 million Switches a year after that for another decade. Meanwhile Microsoft has already made 40 million XBX's for launch.

All from a source as reliable as the PS5 so called source.

The key word here is SHIPPED not SOLD.

Around the Network
JapaneseGamesLover said:
This site always underestimate the power of PlayStation. PS4 is just the warm-up to what is dropping in November. Nobody expected PS2 and PS4 to dominate like that, yet here we are.

Nobody underestimates it but the PS4 was already a huge seller for Sony and  it had many quality games, MS as competitor fucked it up with their console and Nintendo also didn't do much with what they offered the first years after PS4's release to really steal any sales from it.

There are just not many reasons to believe that the PS5 will sell much more than the PS4 (but also not really less) as long as the console markets in some countries where console gaming isn't so big yet will explode. There won't move so many from Xbox to PS anymore as this gen with XBO to PS4 and those who want to have a console besides their Switch have mostly a PS4 already. 

And Japan won't be a help to sell many consoles. 

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 27 July 2020

JapaneseGamesLover said:
This site always underestimate the power of PlayStation. PS4 is just the warm-up to what is dropping in November. Nobody expected PS2 and PS4 to dominate like that, yet here we are.

And nobody expected the Vita to bomb, yet here we are.

Dude the PS4 succeeded where Microsoft and Nintendo failed at the start of the generation. Both companies are in much better position and PC gaming has grown a lot since then. 

I'm expecting the PS5 to sell less than the PS4.

Can't wait for the slim version xP

I'm sure it'll be a success and promoting these numbers may alleviate some scalping. However I'd be careful because a crap economy could put a dent in purchases like this.

Sogreblute said:

And nobody expected the Vita to bomb, yet here we are.

Dude the PS4 succeeded where Microsoft and Nintendo failed at the start of the generation. Both companies are in much better position and PC gaming has grown a lot since then. 

I'm expecting the PS5 to sell less than the PS4.

That bugs the hell outta me. The Vita is a fantastic little unit and I still use mine thanks to some limited run and import games. Sony never should have dropped the ball on it but you can tell they put all the attention into PS4. Shame is the Vita showed me how good OLED can look and I'll never spend the kind of money to have a TV with OLED.