By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NEW Halo Infinite 4k/60 official trailer

numberwang said:

Look at all these fake enthusiasm live reaction videos... people expected great graphics so they performed their canned reactions. There is and endless glut of these.

You're really pressed because there are people who have genuine excitement for a new Halo game? Like.... wow, I didn't think people could get any lower but my already low expectations are shattered to even greater lows

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
numberwang said:

genuine excitement

Behold your king

numberwang said:
NobleTeam360 said:

genuine excitement

Behold your king

I think that guy more closely aligns with you.

Pemalite said:
Shadow1980 said:

Also, should anyone have really expected a Halo game to be on the cutting edge of game graphics, especially one that's a launch title that also has to run on the XBO and at the scale, resolution, and frame rate 343i is aiming for?

We haven't had a cross-generation Halo game release before. - But that's just an excuse, game engines and effects are scalable, Battlefield 3 used an engine that did just that where it scaled from 24 players on Xbox 360 in multiplayer to 64 players on PC.

Levels sizes, effects and more were all reduced.. In that instance the PC was the lead platform and it looked and played like an early 8th gen title, but scaled downwards to 7th gen devices.

Mr Puggsly said:

Many other games are cross gen, so is Halo Infinite.  Halo Infinite isn't a Series X exclusive. Halo isn't going to really showcase what Series X is really capable of. I think criticism is fine, but its kinda like people are pretending they have great expectations when the writing was already on the wall. Either way, hope it's good.

PS5 might feel next gen sooner. That wouldn't surprise me unless multiplats really impress early.

Halo Infinite will certainly be affected negatively for being slim in content at launch. But we now see users may come post updates in this era.

Xbox is not dependent on a single game or IP. They don't even care to give it true exclusives and every MS game is on PC. I don't know if this is a great strategy but I like it.

A Series S console could also help them thrive. Same 9th gen games on cheaper hardware could do well.

Those other games aren't Halo.
And I never said that Halo was a Series X exclusive either... It's a Platform exclusive. I.E. Microsoft Platforms.
But in saying that, it really should be Series X exclusive.

Mr Puggsly said:

Next gen consoles aren't launching with a ton of notable content. So I guarantee last gen enhanced games will be getting attention as well. Cyberpunk is launching on 8th gen only I believe, but I imagine its still best on 9th gen.

Cyberpunk 2077 is launching on Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X in 2021.

If a game launches without a ton of notable content, then they deserve criticism, just like Halo Infinite, not point defending THAT practice as that comes at the detriment of the consumer.

I don't think the issue is really about the engine being scalable. The game was evidently designed for Xbox One as the lead. While Battlefield 3/4 had PC as the lead, then the game was scaled back significantly to work on 7th gen. Halo Infinite apparently is going to get some significant visual upgrades post launch, which shows the project is being rushed for launch.

Halo Infinite simply wasn't designed to utilize the Series X, so this isn't the project that should be a Series X exclusive. But the best console experience should be on Series X and perhaps the updates will make it look more 9th gen. If they want to make a Halo game that really utilized 9th gen visuals that could have a faster development, maybe they should get a team started on a Halo 3 remaster.

While Cyberpunk is only having an 8th gen release this year (if at all), I anticipate that 8th gen version is also being design to have visual improvements only on 9th gen hardware. While the actual 9th gen release is going to raise the bar further.

Halo games comes with a lot of content expectations, not just a campaign. Given Halo Infinite is being rush, I assume the primary focus is just the campaign and basic MP gameplay.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It's very difficult to understand exactly what's going on here, but its fascinating.

The title is only 4 months away from release. It's possibly the biggest game reveal for MS this generation. It's tied to the promotion and identity of their new hardware and this video would have been extensively reviewed internally and higher up before release.

Yet it's probably the most unpolished flagship IP reveal I can think of in recent memory and the visuals are in direct contrast to the whole 'power' marketing message of the new console.

The trailer also surprisingly has a really poor structure. It's not an exciting set-piece with dramatic shifts, it has no real pacing and the ending is an overly long generic poorly written monologue.

Either the game is suffering from development issues -a scrapped story-line, cancelled beta, new game engine, worldwide pandemic, multiple platforms- all being potential reasons or indicators. Or, it simply hasn't had enough time. Which if that's the case I think even this trailer may have been rushed. 343 could be crunching exceptionally hard to get this out the gate by launch.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't think the issue is really about the engine being scalable. The game was evidently designed for Xbox One as the lead. While Battlefield 3/4 had PC as the lead, then the game was scaled back significantly to work on 7th gen. Halo Infinite apparently is going to get some significant visual upgrades post launch, which shows the project is being rushed for launch.

Halo Infinite simply wasn't designed to utilize the Series X, so this isn't the project that should be a Series X exclusive. But the best console experience should be on Series X and perhaps the updates will make it look more 9th gen. If they want to make a Halo game that really utilized 9th gen visuals that could have a faster development, maybe they should get a team started on a Halo 3 remaster.

While Cyberpunk is only having an 8th gen release this year (if at all), I anticipate that 8th gen version is also being design to have visual improvements only on 9th gen hardware. While the actual 9th gen release is going to raise the bar further.

Halo games comes with a lot of content expectations, not just a campaign. Given Halo Infinite is being rush, I assume the primary focus is just the campaign and basic MP gameplay.

It all flies in the face of their marketing where they are trying to push the power angle.
It wouldn't have been as bad if they showcased the game running on a base Xbox One... But instead they showcased it at an Xbox Series X reveal running on decent PC hardware, how else do you expect a community to react when the Xbox One wasn't in any of the marketing or messaging and it was all about the Xbox Series X?

Microsoft/343i screwed up.

Halo 5 even though it had a plethora of technical shortcomings wasn't showcased in such a way... And they made it clear they were chasing the 60fps "dream" with a new movement system which wasn't to bad, sadly that game didn't turn out to be amazing.

We want Microsoft/343i to learn and improve, to give the consumer the best possible product they can, not a rushed product for a last-gen platform "spruced up" for new hardware.

Dallinor said:

Yet it's probably the most unpolished flagship IP reveal I can think of in recent memory and the visuals are in direct contrast to the whole 'power' marketing message of the new console.

I think Crackdown 3 can probably take that crown... Ironically I feel Infinite has made a couple of the same mistakes. (I.E. Visuals.)

At this point I think they should delay the entire project for a year or two and just fine tune everything and overhaul the visuals... Halo 3 launched a few years after the Xbox 360 launched and the Xbox 360 was an amazing success. - Then again... People lined up overnight to get their hands on a copy of that game.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

numberwang said:
NobleTeam360 said:

genuine excitement

Behold your king

Behold, your god

No one is more of a treasure than Dick, the birthday boy!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pemalite said:

At this point I think they should delay the entire project for a year or two and just fine tune everything and overhaul the visuals... Halo 3 launched a few years after the Xbox 360 launched and the Xbox 360 was an amazing success. - Then again... People lined up overnight to get their hands on a copy of that game.

I really don't think they gave much of a choice to launch it with the console. If they delay Halo Infinite, they will lose console sales, 100% and potential Game Pass subs. At the same time if they ship game with poor quality it might damage the name. Saying that, its Halo so it will be popular either way. As long as the game is not a broken mess, it should be fine.

Sea of Theives shipped as a barebones games and reviewed poorly. The game survived and after several updates, the game improved and its grown a lot in popularity. Releasing on Steam did wonders for it as well.

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It all flies in the face of their marketing where they are trying to push the power angle.
It wouldn't have been as bad if they showcased the game running on a base Xbox One... But instead they showcased it at an Xbox Series X reveal running on decent PC hardware, how else do you expect a community to react when the Xbox One wasn't in any of the marketing or messaging and it was all about the Xbox Series X?

Microsoft/343i screwed up.

Halo 5 even though it had a plethora of technical shortcomings wasn't showcased in such a way... And they made it clear they were chasing the 60fps "dream" with a new movement system which wasn't to bad, sadly that game didn't turn out to be amazing.

We want Microsoft/343i to learn and improve, to give the consumer the best possible product they can, not a rushed product for a last-gen platform "spruced up" for new hardware.

Dallinor said:

I think Crackdown 3 can probably take that crown... Ironically I feel Infinite has made a couple of the same mistakes. (I.E. Visuals.)

We saw something similar with the Xbox One X. It was boasted as the most powerful console, but MS wasn't always pushing amazing looking games on it. The difference being this is actually next gen, but the game is still Xbox One as the lead and being rushed.

I am not saying the community is wrong for reacting how they did. The Series X is seemingly getting a Halo game with Xbox One graphics with more polish. Maybe they will use the time left to improve it. Its obvious their focus is hitting the launch and honestly I look forward to playing it. Hopefully it'll be a good product on day one, that's my primary concern.

My problem with Halo 5 is the game just doesn't look clean. Like many have said before, Halo 4 on MCC kinda looks better just because of the cleaner presentation. Even though Halo 5 has better effects and assets, all the compromises just make the game look kinda ugly. I would love a Halo 5 remaster on the Series X that simply cleans it up.

If the gameplay is good, then I think hitting the launch is fine. If its mediocre or broken, delay it. Unless MS thinks people will stick with it post updates, like MCC.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

We saw something similar with the Xbox One X. It was boasted as the most powerful console, but MS wasn't always pushing amazing looking games on it. The difference being this is actually next gen, but the game is still Xbox One as the lead and being rushed.

Probably explains why the Xbox One X wasn't the runaway success? Heck, they stopped making them fairly early instead of pushing that hardware over the Xbox One S.

Mr Puggsly said:

I am not saying the community is wrong for reacting how they did. The Series X is seemingly getting a Halo game with Xbox One graphics with more polish. Maybe they will use the time left to improve it. Its obvious their focus is hitting the launch and honestly I look forward to playing it. Hopefully it'll be a good product on day one, that's my primary concern.

They need to improve it... And I implore everyone to provide the appropriate critique so they are forced to listen and improve.
"We will improve it later" mantra is a cop-out in my opinion, it was a cop-out with Halo 5. - Just delay the game, make it what it should be... Something that can showcase the hardware in the best possible light.

Mr Puggsly said:

My problem with Halo 5 is the game just doesn't look clean. Like many have said before, Halo 4 on MCC kinda looks better just because of the cleaner presentation. Even though Halo 5 has better effects and assets, all the compromises just make the game look kinda ugly. I would love a Halo 5 remaster on the Series X that simply cleans it up.

Halo 5 does look clean, especially interior areas, it's almost clinically clean.

The issue with Halo 5 is actually it's framerate, whilst it pushes for 60fps, not everything in the game operates at 60fps... And that looks jarring and ugly.

Halo 4 took a baked approach, so it was able to "punch above it's weight" so to speak, where-as Halo 5, like Halo: Infinite has more dynamic effects which are more resource intensive.

I would like Halo: Infinite to ironically be remastered for Xbox Series X. Done right.

Mr Puggsly said:

If the gameplay is good, then I think hitting the launch is fine. If its mediocre or broken, delay it. Unless MS thinks people will stick with it post updates, like MCC.

Halo should be about the entire package... Master Chief Collection was a massive screw up, it's still not perfect.

The Master Chief Collection lost it's entire community almost overnight, a small group of players will always "stick around" - Just like there are still players, playing Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 even today.

Delay it, I want an amazing blow-my-mind game, not something that comes up short... And visually the game comes up short... The level of simulation also comes up short.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--