By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NEW Halo Infinite 4k/60 official trailer

The more I think about it, I think I have a theory as to why it looks so average... See yes it's being held back by xbox one but we have red dead redemption 2 that runs on the xbox one and that game's environments, lighting and etc still looks a lot better than Halo Infinite. My theory as to why I think Halo looks the way it does is because they are targeting 60fps on the Xbox One as well like they did with Halo 5. And because of that, they had to sacrifice in visual quality since a lot of the open world games this gen and probably next gen as well are running at 30 fps and sometimes lower.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

The more I think about it, I think I have a theory as to why it looks so average... See yes it's being held back by xbox one but we have red dead redemption 2 that runs on the xbox one and that game's environments, lighting and etc still looks a lot better than Halo Infinite. My theory as to why I think Halo looks the way it does is because they are targeting 60fps on the Xbox One as well like they did with Halo 5. And because of that, they had to sacrifice in visual quality since a lot of the open world games this gen and probably next gen as well are running at 30 fps and sometimes lower.

How does that explain it? The footage we saw is for the xbox series x, who knows how much worse the xbox one version will look. 

Pemalite said:
The game doesn't look next-generation sadly. It does look clean.

But the pop-in, flat lighting, the sprite-work that sticks out... Doesn't leave me with much faith.

In saying that, it also doesn't look bad, so as long as they nail the gameplay it might be okay, unfortunately though, first impressions last and the first impression is always going to be a visual one... Even this trailer doesn't really show the visuals in the best light.

But some of the new gameplay toys look fun.

To be fair, the game was never intended to be a next gen game, it was designed with base X1 hardware in mind at 60fps with an open world design.. which is quite ambitions for base X1. 

I will assume the cost in visuals is to accommodate major events in the game as well, like maybe fighting multiple Scarab Tanks or air missions just like the original games etc.

DF said the demo isn't running ray-Tracing which we can again assume will be implemented for the Series X and high/mid end PCs.

I get the feeling too many gamers are too graphic focused these days. Halo was never a Crysis when it comes to visuals, Halo always carried great art styles and offered top of the line gameplay for its genre. Halo 4 and 5 was where 343 tried to go for the more realistic route and focusing on visuals over gameplay which was some of the major criticisms for those games at the time. Infinite seems to be focusing on what made Halo great in the first place, unfortunately that comes at a cost.

Fingers crossed we will see improvements with added Ray-Tracing if they offer it. If they don't, it doesn't bother me, i play Halo for the story and gameplay foremost so i am more interested in seeing what the game offers in those terms.  

vonny said:
Captain_Yuri said:

How does that explain it? The footage we saw is for the xbox series x, who knows how much worse the xbox one version will look. 

Well we know that there's a post launch update that's coming for the Series X that will add things like ray tracing. So this isn't the final Series X version.

While the footage we saw is for the series X, it's most likely that the xbox one version will look similar just with somethings toned down like draw distance, lower resolution and etc. Similar to Gears of War 5. Xbox One version cranked to "Ultra" settings if you will for the Series X. I am just speculating of course until we see the xbox one version.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 26 July 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Trailer looks good. I didn’t have a problem with the reveal trailer. It didn’t look jaw dropping graphically but the gameplay and sounds were incredible. Classic Halo feel and I can’t wait to see how the open world design fits in. You could see a “missions” button when they brought up the map, makes me wonder if you juggle multiple quests/missions at a time. Exciting stuff.

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:
When will people learn that infinite is the last current gen game like breath of the wild was for Wii U, not a next gen game. But it's a system seller nonetheless for it's gameplay and I think it's the right move to release it like this. It will give serious momentum to Xbox series x

Except they are going to use that game as the Halo platform for this generation. Are they planning to update visuals substantially along the way?

Some MMO's do this, like Eve Online, but then you get games like World of Warcraft which looks just as hot garbage as ever. If they plan on updating significant parts then your argument is okay, but if just minor updates then Halo For Series X will look mostly like this until their next base game, which will probably be on the device after Series X. Halo Infinite is where all their multiplayer/story updates will be delivered through for the next 6 years of the Series X lifespan, if what I've read is correct, so it needs to be "next gen" and not current gen, imo.

Regardless, I'm hopeful that the demo being old combined with the months remaining in development will improve it significantly.

shikamaru317 said:
vonny said:

Games are sometimes held back by the lowest common denominator, the weakest system they release on. 

So, if 343 are trying to get Halo Infinite to run at 1080p 60fps on base Xbox One with an open world design, then obviously graphics quality would need to be lower than an open world game that was aiming for say 900p 30 fps on base Xbox One. I do think that is the crux of the problem here most likely, 343 decided that they wanted 1080p 60 fps on base Xbox One, instead of aiming for something less demanding like 1080p 30 fps, 900p 60 fps, 900p 30 fps, or 720p 60 fps. As a result of that decision, graphics had to be toned back enough to hit that resolution and framerate on base Xbox One, which in turn will have also lowered the graphics quality all the way up the rest of the hardware lineup, from Xbox One X and mid range PC's, to Xbox Series X and high end PC's.

I really don't think the base Xbox One Model support is the problem here, because I fully expect the Xbox one version to be 720P 60FPS with smaller draw distance.

I think the prime reason for the odd graphics are caused by the use of dynamic lightning like digital foundry pointed out. I'll will add to this that dynamic lighting prevent the use of sub subsurface scattering which would greatly help model feel less plastic. Classic halo artstyle might also exacerbate visual oddities.

There's also the fact that we have seen only one Biome which felt empty, previous trailer have shown other environments, some with more vegetations.

Pop-in was also a problem but I fully expect this to be fixed by released.

The question here is would I want better visual over dynamic lightning? I need to see more of the game before I made my decision on this.  

Shaunodon said:
Eagle367 said:
When will people learn that infinite is the last current gen game like breath of the wild was for Wii U, not a next gen game. But it's a system seller nonetheless for it's gameplay and I think it's the right move to release it like this. It will give serious momentum to Xbox series x

Nintendo doesn't do standard generations anymore, or at least don't compete for generational standard graphics. That's why Breath of the Wild still looks uniquely beautiful. It's not focused on pushing raw graphics or visuals but it's own distinctive art style.

Halo Infinite however was first teased two years ago with a big 'Powered by the Slipspace Engine' tag. DF even did their video analysis on that trailer back then, and it's rather funny (not in a good way) how it's aged.

So even though we knew it'd be cross-gen, we still expected them to be pushing the boundary with their technology.

I don't know what you mean by standard gens but Ninty is most distinct from generation to generation. All Xbox and PS consoles have just been boxes with more graphics and basically the the same controller scheme but more refined and a few tweaks. Ninty has had all sorts of wonky gimmicks and controllers to define generations. 

Regarding Xbox and Halo, my point is it doesn't matter what you or I say or whether or not it ends up looking a lot better than it does in this build or not, it will sell a shit ton and it will sell a lot of Xbox series x consoles as well. That was my basic point. The name Halo itself will make sure of it. 

But I do agree that Ninty has made breath of the wild in such a way it will still look gorgeous after maybe even a few decades while Halo will look aged in 3-5 years.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

EpicRandy said:
shikamaru317 said:

Games are sometimes held back by the lowest common denominator, the weakest system they release on. 

So, if 343 are trying to get Halo Infinite to run at 1080p 60fps on base Xbox One with an open world design, then obviously graphics quality would need to be lower than an open world game that was aiming for say 900p 30 fps on base Xbox One. I do think that is the crux of the problem here most likely, 343 decided that they wanted 1080p 60 fps on base Xbox One, instead of aiming for something less demanding like 1080p 30 fps, 900p 60 fps, 900p 30 fps, or 720p 60 fps. As a result of that decision, graphics had to be toned back enough to hit that resolution and framerate on base Xbox One, which in turn will have also lowered the graphics quality all the way up the rest of the hardware lineup, from Xbox One X and mid range PC's, to Xbox Series X and high end PC's.

I really don't think the base Xbox One Model support is the problem here, because I fully expect the Xbox one version to be 720P 60FPS with smaller draw distance.

I think the prime reason for the odd graphics are caused by the use of dynamic lightning like digital foundry pointed out. I'll will add to this that dynamic lighting prevent the use of sub subsurface scattering which would greatly help model feel less plastic. Classic halo artstyle might also exacerbate visual oddities.

There's also the fact that we have seen only one Biome which felt empty, previous trailer have shown other environments, some with more vegetations.

The question here is would I want better visual over dynamic lightning? I need to see more of the game before I made my decision on this.  

The problem is they made the game with xbox one in mind and upscale it to Xbox Series X. Think of it this way, if I took a low quality image and adjust it in photoshop I can make it look better. However, there is only so much you can do and it still won't look great. Overall, I think Halo infinite looks okay for an open world series x launch game that is 4k and 60 fps. They just need to get the popups under control and get ray tracing out as soon as possible (should help with lighting).

Snoopy said:
EpicRandy said:

The problem is they made the game with xbox one in mind and upscale it to Xbox Series X. Think of it this way, if I took a low quality image and adjust it in photoshop I can make it look better. However, there is only so much you can do and it still won't look great. Overall, I think Halo infinite looks okay for an open world series x launch game that is 4k and 60 fps. They just need to get the popups under control and get ray tracing out as soon as possible (should help with lighting).

Game assets are always created in higher quality than needed and then scaled down to fit specific power requirement. That is true even when there's no new hardware on the horizon. No reason to believe that this demo was not using high quality texture & mesh that differ in resolutions/complexity from the ones the Xbox one will be using.  

Edit: That said it might just be true that we are looking at a scaled up Xbox one game which still lacks specific optimization to take full potential of the Xbox Series X hardware. 

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 26 July 2020