By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NEW Halo Infinite 4k/60 official trailer

Shaunodon said:
Eagle367 said:
When will people learn that infinite is the last current gen game like breath of the wild was for Wii U, not a next gen game. But it's a system seller nonetheless for it's gameplay and I think it's the right move to release it like this. It will give serious momentum to Xbox series x

Nintendo doesn't do standard generations anymore, or at least don't compete for generational standard graphics. That's why Breath of the Wild still looks uniquely beautiful. It's not focused on pushing raw graphics or visuals but it's own distinctive art style.

Halo Infinite however was first teased two years ago with a big 'Powered by the Slipspace Engine' tag. DF even did their video analysis on that trailer back then, and it's rather funny (not in a good way) how it's aged.

So even though we knew it'd be cross-gen, we still expected them to be pushing the boundary with their technology.

I don't know what you mean by standard gens but Ninty is most distinct from generation to generation. All Xbox and PS consoles have just been boxes with more graphics and basically the the same controller scheme but more refined and a few tweaks. Ninty has had all sorts of wonky gimmicks and controllers to define generations. 

Regarding Xbox and Halo, my point is it doesn't matter what you or I say or whether or not it ends up looking a lot better than it does in this build or not, it will sell a shit ton and it will sell a lot of Xbox series x consoles as well. That was my basic point. The name Halo itself will make sure of it. 

But I do agree that Ninty has made breath of the wild in such a way it will still look gorgeous after maybe even a few decades while Halo will look aged in 3-5 years.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:
shikamaru317 said:

Games are sometimes held back by the lowest common denominator, the weakest system they release on. 

So, if 343 are trying to get Halo Infinite to run at 1080p 60fps on base Xbox One with an open world design, then obviously graphics quality would need to be lower than an open world game that was aiming for say 900p 30 fps on base Xbox One. I do think that is the crux of the problem here most likely, 343 decided that they wanted 1080p 60 fps on base Xbox One, instead of aiming for something less demanding like 1080p 30 fps, 900p 60 fps, 900p 30 fps, or 720p 60 fps. As a result of that decision, graphics had to be toned back enough to hit that resolution and framerate on base Xbox One, which in turn will have also lowered the graphics quality all the way up the rest of the hardware lineup, from Xbox One X and mid range PC's, to Xbox Series X and high end PC's.

I really don't think the base Xbox One Model support is the problem here, because I fully expect the Xbox one version to be 720P 60FPS with smaller draw distance.

I think the prime reason for the odd graphics are caused by the use of dynamic lightning like digital foundry pointed out. I'll will add to this that dynamic lighting prevent the use of sub subsurface scattering which would greatly help model feel less plastic. Classic halo artstyle might also exacerbate visual oddities.

There's also the fact that we have seen only one Biome which felt empty, previous trailer have shown other environments, some with more vegetations.

Pop-in was also a problem but I fully expect this to be fixed by released.

The question here is would I want better visual over dynamic lightning? I need to see more of the game before I made my decision on this.  

The problem is they made the game with xbox one in mind and upscale it to Xbox Series X. Think of it this way, if I took a low quality image and adjust it in photoshop I can make it look better. However, there is only so much you can do and it still won't look great. Overall, I think Halo infinite looks okay for an open world series x launch game that is 4k and 60 fps. They just need to get the popups under control and get ray tracing out as soon as possible (should help with lighting).

Snoopy said:
EpicRandy said:

I really don't think the base Xbox One Model support is the problem here, because I fully expect the Xbox one version to be 720P 60FPS with smaller draw distance.

I think the prime reason for the odd graphics are caused by the use of dynamic lightning like digital foundry pointed out. I'll will add to this that dynamic lighting prevent the use of sub subsurface scattering which would greatly help model feel less plastic. Classic halo artstyle might also exacerbate visual oddities.

There's also the fact that we have seen only one Biome which felt empty, previous trailer have shown other environments, some with more vegetations.

Pop-in was also a problem but I fully expect this to be fixed by released.

The question here is would I want better visual over dynamic lightning? I need to see more of the game before I made my decision on this.  

The problem is they made the game with xbox one in mind and upscale it to Xbox Series X. Think of it this way, if I took a low quality image and adjust it in photoshop I can make it look better. However, there is only so much you can do and it still won't look great. Overall, I think Halo infinite looks okay for an open world series x launch game that is 4k and 60 fps. They just need to get the popups under control and get ray tracing out as soon as possible (should help with lighting).

Game assets are always created in higher quality than needed and then scaled down to fit specific power requirement. That is true even when there's no new hardware on the horizon. No reason to believe that this demo was not using high quality texture & mesh that differ in resolutions/complexity from the ones the Xbox one will be using.  

Edit: That said it might just be true that we are looking at a scaled up Xbox one game which still lacks specific optimization to take full potential of the Xbox Series X hardware. 

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 26 July 2020

60FPS

Open world

And yet...

All this does is prove phil was once again lying.
If the game was build for Series X and scaled down this wouldnt really be a problem.
But it looks like XBOne was and is the main development platform for Halo Inf not Series X like many where made to believe.

Around the Network

I’m cautiously optimistic the graphics will receive some improvement. God knows the memes lit a fire under their asses. But as a Halo fan I’m just happy the gameplay, story, music is done right.

If those were messed up at the demo, then we be in a much worse position. It would be a “beautiful mess”.

Last edited by sales2099 - on 27 July 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

I’m cautiously optimistic the graphics will receive some improvement. God knows the memes lit a fire under their asses. But as a Halo fan I’m just happy the gameplay, story, music is done right.

If those were messed up at the demo, then we be in a much worse position. It would be a “beautiful mess”.

Yeah, better to have an ugly masterpiece than a beautiful mess. I think the graphics will improve a good bit before release, but it is always going to look cross-gen sadly.

You know you messed up when Dominoes UK twitter pitches in on a trend.

Pemalite said:
The game doesn't look next-generation sadly. It does look clean.

But the pop-in, flat lighting, the sprite-work that sticks out... Doesn't leave me with much faith.

In saying that, it also doesn't look bad, so as long as they nail the gameplay it might be okay, unfortunately though, first impressions last and the first impression is always going to be a visual one... Even this trailer doesn't really show the visuals in the best light.

But some of the new gameplay toys look fun.

Its more than that.

Tree's/grass is static, doesnt move at all, its lifeless.
Characters, talk without animations (face doesnt move).
When they die (the brute that dies in the air), its just frozen in animation as it drops down, from the moment it died in the air.
You toss a grande onto a enemy (those that stick onto enemies) they dont panic and run around in panic and spout their lines, like in old halo games.

When master chief throws out the shield, the animations show his hands are empty, until its flying through the air.
The "ship" (not sure what its called) is clearly on the rails, and jaggy in movements... at one point you find its just "dead" in the air, waiting until line of sight notices it from the player, before it starts moveing on its rails again.

Theres guns that shoot, without muzzel flair, but with reflections on the gun.
Theres guns that shoot, with muzzel flair, but without reflections on the gun.
Sometimes theres reflections on the armor of his hands, but not the gun.

Theres so many inconsitancies with this.
Some enemies have shadows, some that should dont.

The list goes on and on.
Heres a video about it:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXRICIMfFCI

Meanwhile DF is out saying,  "dont worry, ray traceing will help the lighting issue abit".

Halo Infinate looks rushed.
Thats the best way to explain it.... I know supposedly they have had years to do this, but it doesnt look like it.
Its lacking polish and consistancy.

edit:

Also The Cherno's take:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWtEcbiuLBQ

Particle effects from explosions, have animations that are so short, that you notice the frame they disappear.
Normally embers, and glows/sparks would fall to the ground before disappearing.... in halo infinate their burning bright still in air, and just dramatically from 1 frame to the next, dissappear. 

Theres horrible texture work, at even mid range.... fade of texture quality. Some things that should be clear and sharp, look like texture soup.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 July 2020

@JRPGfan 

That guy is a massive PS fanboy. Though he does make some good points.

This is a more in depth technical video for those in are in the know about what was wrong. There a lot more than needs fixing that just the lighting and some pop ins that Digital Foundry covers they gloss over a lot.

NX Gamer covers gives his impressions on the Xbox conference and analysis including Halo Infinite. He doesn't even think Slipspace is a new engine.