By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49

We've all been very curious about the next gen Pricing on these consoles. But as with previous generations you would think you could build a similarly spec PC for similar or a little more price with better performance and expandability.. but I'm not necessarily sure that you can really do that this time around..

Whilst we do not know the price we do know the specs of the 2 machines.

So using modern components (bare in mind I'm using RNDA GPU's and not RNDA2 GPU's cause they don't exist yet but they will be priced similar most likely so that doesn't really matter for the time being) 

So the PS5 spec build is £1129.52

The XSX build is £1041.94

(The PS5 build is more expensive due to having to have a more modern chipset for the PCI 4.0 support for the SSD, the increase cost of those 2 components is more than the increased cost of the faster GPU) 

Bare in mind I would not recommend either of these builds to anyone. The PSU is the cheapest I could find and I would never put that in any build, the CPU cooler is also cheap as chips and really should be better. Also the motherboard I chose for the XSX would need updating and is just a waste of money to actually purchase.

The consoles share 16GB of system memory with the GPU, so arguably I could've used 8GB of ram sticks but that just isn't really enough for a PC to play modern games for the next generation. 

Basically I cut costs wherever I could to keep the price down and they are still twice the expected price of these consoles. So it looks like it will be a while before we have competitively priced 'console killers' as anything with similar performance will be much more expensive, and I haven't included the cost of a decent gaming mouse and keyboard. 

A PC build I would actually recommend to compete with consoles would be £1341.58

Looks like this time around the PCMR will have to accept that the audience that these consoles aim for is a very legitimate space that PC builds just can't compete with without major price cuts of major components.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Well... Both Nvidia's next gen Ampere GPUs and AMD's RDNA2 GPUs are supposed to come out before next gen consoles so... I'd wait since the performance of those GPUs are supposed to be really good before making any assumptions...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Well... Both Nvidia's next gen Ampere GPUs and AMD's RDNA2 GPUs are supposed to come out before next gen consoles so... I'd wait since the performance of those GPUs are supposed to be really good before making any assumptions...

The thread is mainly about price, the 5700xt equivalent of RDNA2 willl most likely be the same price or slightly more (maybe slightly less)

I thought this debate was over already. PC already is dead. Nothing compares to the infinite power of the cloud, which is only on Xbox.
Do I have to spell it out? I-N-F-I-N-I-T-E that means bigger than all the PCs in the universe put together. MS said so.
That's why MS won't be making new kinds of games and lastgen compatility won't hold back new games. Can't improve on infinite.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

The thread is mainly about price, the 5700xt equivalent of RDNA2 willl most likely be the same price or slightly more (maybe slightly less)

Except we don't know anything about the pricing or performance... We have seen GPU generations get significant performance gains in the past while the price getting increased slightly but we have also seen shitty performance while price getting increased significantly... There's no way to tell until it releases...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Except we don't know anything about the pricing or performance... We have seen GPU generations get significant performance gains in the past while the price getting increased slightly but we have also seen shitty performance while price getting increased significantly... There's no way to tell until it releases...

I'm in full agreement. 

I'm just saying it's just more likely that the XSX equivalent desktop GPU's will be around a similar price to the equivalent GPU's in the RDNA1 lineup. Ie 6700XT launch price = 5700XT launch price. Sure it can cost £100 or £1000. But in terms of likeliness it'll be similar price points.

New Nvidia 3000 cards will probably cost more than the 2000 series though. 

You do know a Sony graphics engineer has confirmed before being told by superiors to reword it, that PS5 is RDNA 1.

Random_Matt said:
You do know a Sony graphics engineer has confirmed before being told by superiors to reword it, that PS5 is RDNA 1.

They added hardware accelerated ray tracing to an RDNA 1 card? Sounds strange, source?

ArchangelMadzz said:
Random_Matt said:

They added hardware accelerated ray tracing to an RDNA 1 card? Sounds strange, source?

Believe it may of been taken down, this isn't fake.

Random_Matt said:

ArchangelMadzz said:

Believe it may of been taken down, this isn't fake.

https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/1260602084669390850?s=20

Well that would make the CEO of AMD a liar.