By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Symmetrical or asymmetrical analogue sticks?

I prefer...

Symmetrical 46 45.54%

Asymmetrical 55 54.46%

Total:101

Simple question really, do you prefer your analogue sticks to be symmetrical or asymmetrical?

Around the Network

I like symmetry but I've got no issue with asymmetry. I could do either.

Symmetrical (Dual Shock Style),  and I sincerely believe that the asymmetric model is inferior since it prevents a better access to all buttons. As a big fan of using "claw grip" mixed with "common grip" I find that accessing the D-pad with the index finger ( see the figure) is very convenient, and for that reason I really feel that asymmetric controls don't work for me. Games like Dark souls, Devil may cry, Nioh, Monster Hunter, etc. claw grip really does make a difference for me, so I consider symmetrical analog controls (in Dual shock configuration) to be unreservedly superior.

It seems my thumbs are symmetrical, that one.

I like the input I'm going to use most often to be closest to the edge of the controller. So, for most games, that would be the XBox 360 setup. For a few games, that would be the Wii U setup. For very few games, that would be the PS2 setup.

Around the Network

The Nintendo/Xbox layout is best.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

This is pretty much do you prefer Playstation layout or xbox/ninty layout.

I like fighting games so I need my dpad opposite the action buttons. Symmetry for me. I aint as good at games when the analogues are asymmetrical. Even shooters.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

KLAMarine said:
I like symmetry but I've got no issue with asymmetry. I could do either.

Same here. The placement of the sticks is beyond minor for me. Symmetry looks better but that matters so little in comparison to it's usefulness.

What matters more is the thickness and length of the controller for me. The DS3 was a bit too small but worked ok, with the DS4 being a major improvement, and the DS5 looks like it should feel even better. I'm a fan of the XB Duke, but mostly because of it's size, shape and rear triggers.

I prefer the GC/XB/Switch asymetrical layout.

Also I think overall GC is the best, most comfprtable and logical game controler ever made.

NightlyPoe said:
SvennoJ said:
It seems my thumbs are symmetrical, that one.

Because your thumbs are symmetrical, you should want the analog stick to be in the default position.  Otherwise, your symmetrical thumbs will be reaching during most sessions of gameplay.

I'll say again, the "symmetrical vs. asymmetrical" is a nonsensical way of looking at it in the first place.  It is a question that ignores the ergonomics of the controller in favor of aesthetics.  Or, in this case, boiling the question down to a glib answer that is self-contradictory.

The correct question is whether you want a D-Pad dominant or Analog Stick dominant controller scheme.

Yeah asymmetrical just sounds worse than symmetrical but when you think it's more a choice between Analog or D-pad as the dominant scheme it makes more sense. I've personally never enjoyed the layout of the Dualshock controllers as much as what Xbox and Nintendo do with theirs.